• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    Desplat and Giacchino are two of the best shining lights in mainstream film scoring, fact!

It's a trick -- those are headlights from an oncoming car in a tunnel.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    BATMAN & ROBIN - Elliot G.

OMFG! Now this is high quality film music !

I'm sure someone will agree with this statement. wink

FYI: not the bootleg

If you have ANY music from Batman & Robin then it's a bootleg.

-Erik-

OK, but there's the complete, poorly put together bootleg. In not so great quality.

And the not so complete, very well put together bootleg. In much better quality.

The latter being what Goldenthal was willing to release before its cancellation.

And both do exist now.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    MICHAEL GIACCHINO - inside out

Loved the innocence and honesty of this film, the score is magical too. Can this man write something that's actually bad?

Yes, pretty much everything he's ever done.

Which is an outright lie. Because he has done Medal of Honor and these are all very much in the upper echelon of musical excellence. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2016
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    MICHAEL GIACCHINO - inside out

Loved the innocence and honesty of this film, the score is magical too. Can this man write something that's actually bad?

Yes, pretty much everything he's ever done.

Which is an outright lie. Because he has done Medal of Honor and these are all very much in the upper echelon of musical excellence. wink

Add the LOST universe to that wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Uhm... no! Lost can get lost.

IMO. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2016
    Ah, love it. Adore it. The whole score and series.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2016 edited
    STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE

Disc 3 of the LLL release, which is just fantastic, and has an amazing accompanying book. Love it totally.

What a great set of alternates, even if most don't sound too different from the final takes.

And don't go spreading this around, but I have taken a liking to Shaun Cassidy's 'A Star Beyond Time' which is based on the Ilia theme, but adds a whole layer of cheese. smile

Just keep very still about it, I don't want people to think I'm a weirdo or anything. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2016
    Your secret is safe with us.
    I must confess that I have been known to sing 'A Star Beyond Time' quite passionately after a few reds! shame
  5. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: BRAVEHEART - James Horner

Love the Attack On Murron cue. Quintessential Horner tension building. Was once quite a popular trailer piece I recall.
  6. His greatest masterpiece. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2016 edited
    The Force Awakens John Williams

I haven't listened to this since seeing the film a few weeks ago. (You know a score is good when you don't want to listen to it for fear of hearing it too many times.)

Watching a film will never make the music better, but it can give a deeper appreciate for it. Kylo Ren's theme really shines in the movie. His entrance, with that music, is what Star Wars and its music is all about. I love the prequel scores, but this sounds like Star Wars like they never did.
  7. Steven wrote
    The Force Awakens John Williams

I haven't listened to this since seeing the film a few weeks ago. (You know a score is good when you don't want to listen to it for fear of hearing it too many times.)

That's strange, I don't want to listen to it because it bores me. I'd rather put on another episode.

The moments that do shine are not enough sadly. For me it's a major disappointment, even after having seen the film.
  8. I just listened to it again yesterday, and I really like it, but I think prequels have a few cues that are incredibly excellent, and much more memorable than the new themes from SW VII. Perhaps my opinion will change as I get more familiar with it.

NP - FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD - Craig Armstrong.

Very lovely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Three Musketeers - Michael Kamen

Glorious!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2016
    Macbeth - Jed Kurzel

Has a grinding harsh string sound to it in large parts but works brilliantly in the film. Less successful on its own but it is growing on me with repeated listens.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Oldboy - Roque Banos

Exhibits very little of his personality. Will cut about 6 or 7 cues for a more listenable album. 3 of the last 4 cues are where the best stuff is when some grand/tragic lushness finally rises to the surface. Doubt I'll ever watch the film though; what Chan-wook Park's original lacks in substance it more than makes up for in visual brilliance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    Megamagic: Wizards of the Neon Age - Mitch Murder

A pretty decent 80's "cheesy" game score, but it is not distinctive nor solid enough to make me really like it. It is too uneven imo. I still like most of it and it is a quite nice follow-up to Kung Fury, but I don't think I will keep more than a few tracks. Have to give it another listen later on though.
  9. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - you know who

Positively puzzled by Filmtracks' thrilling reception of the Hobbit series scores, so I'm giving this another listen. Not terribly thrilled to revisit the score to Battle of the Five Armies but, then again, I've changed my stance before.
  10. At the barrels out of bond sequence. And OK, yes, this is certainly better than I remembered.
  11. I do really like the Hobbit scores, but "The Forest River" is what I wished they sounded like all the time. The energy and lightness (comparatively speaking - it's still Shore) and thematic dexterity in that action cue is unrivaled by anything else in all three scores.

As to the puzzling reception - Filmtracks does love it a complex thematic tapestry. Even if, in this case, not all the themes are strictly speaking interesting. But they're used in interesting ways!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    I just listened to it again yesterday, and I really like it, but I think prequels have a few cues that are incredibly excellent, and much more memorable than the new themes from SW VII. Perhaps my opinion will change as I get more familiar with it.

NP - FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD - Craig Armstrong.

Very lovely.

Gorgeous score. I wish studio execs and producers would actually let more composers write like this these days, and not just for historical / period films etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2016 edited
    David OC wrote
    Oldboy - Roque Banos

Exhibits very little of his personality. Will cut about 6 or 7 cues for a more listenable album. 3 of the last 4 cues are where the best stuff is when some grand/tragic lushness finally rises to the surface. Doubt I'll ever watch the film though; what Chan-wook Park's original lacks in substance it more than makes up for in visual brilliance.

It's a standard case of late, Spaniards being called in for major (or at least bigger) projects because they actually write very good and have caught studios, execs, producers and directors' ears through the years, only to finally ask them to write you know like who, just because they can't hire the original one due to budget restrictions. The results are usually completely devoid of any of the Spaniard composer's character, autopilotish, boring and bored.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote
    Macbeth - Jed Kurzel

Has a grinding harsh string sound to it in large parts but works brilliantly in the film. Less successful on its own but it is growing on me with repeated listens.

The film is fantastic, the score in it too. On disc, for one to enjoy, i think you generally be used to listening to modern minimalism, neo-tonal or slightly atonal / dissonant scores in general, to be able to enjoy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote
    neo-tonal

...what, now? uhm
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Demetris wrote
    neo-tonal

...what, now? uhm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neotonality
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I see.
    "Without establishing any one style or school, neotonality became the dominant international idea in the 1930s and 1940s"
    Sounds like neospeak to me.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  12. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    As to the puzzling reception - Filmtracks does love it a complex thematic tapestry. Even if, in this case, not all the themes are strictly speaking interesting. But they're used in interesting ways!

True.
    But after a 30-minute orchestra vs. gamelan tussle, I need a breath of fresh air.

Going to give Danny Elfman's Good Will Hunting a spin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Chocolat - Rachel Portman

I listened to this by mistake but it's so nice I might keep going.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Chocolat - Rachel Portman

I listened to this by mistake but it's so nice I might keep going.

Gorgeous theme as usual, but last time I checked, it was just Portman's trick of using the same theme over and over again.
    I am extremely serious.