• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2016
    NP: DYING LIGHT (Pawel Blaszczak)

One of my favourite scores from last year, for a videogame I have no connection to. Great electropop.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote
    Chocolat - Rachel Portman

I listened to this by mistake but it's so nice I might keep going.

Gorgeous theme as usual, but last time I checked, it was just Portman's trick of using the same theme over and over again.

Yes, so I gave up on it.

101 Dalmatians - Michael Kamen

Just wonderful. One of those scores I seem to like so much more than anyone else does.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Chocolat - Rachel Portman

I listened to this by mistake but it's so nice I might keep going.

So saccharine it can give you instant diabetus.

n.p. OLIViER DERIVIERE - Assasin's creed iv black flag - freedom cry

This score is full of highlights. The gorgeous ethnic vocals, the ethnic elements, blended with fantastic orchestral writing. This man's music is a keeper. He should be getting so many more projects. Every score he puts out has character.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2016
    EFFIE GRAY - Paul Cantelon

Romantic, piano/string-led music rarely gets better these days than Cantelon. Love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Altlantis - Peter Bateman

Fantastic. Get it now, if you don't already have it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Don't tell me what to do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ROQUE BANOS - in the heart of the sea

Very nice score. Bold, coherent,thematic. Love the following cues: "arriving at Nickerson's lair" "chase walking nantucker" "young nickerson" "blows". Btw, the movie blows, right? haven't seen it but the reviews are terrible. Has anyone seen it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Really? uhm I thought as someone who lambasts modern scores would have few positive things to say about a score like that. To me, it's bland. Functional at best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I like Banos, generally speaking, tough to get me completely disappointed on him wink

Next on: ROQUE BANOS - Risen

I like him on this slow, dramatic (sword, optional +) sandal movie mode.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote

Very nice score. Bold, coherent,thematic. Love the following cues: "arriving at Nickerson's lair" "chase walking nantucker" "young nickerson" "blows". Btw, the movie blows, right? haven't seen it but the reviews are terrible. Has anyone seen it?

Yup! Saw it. Very disappointing film with a bland score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Demetris wrote

I love how in the thread next door just a few hours ago you were complaining about Spanish composers forced to imitate modern Hollywood trends...and then you go and praise this. Man, D, I can never figure you out. lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I thought both RISEN and IN THE HEART OF THE SEA were incredibly bland, yes. But Banos has done some good stuff before, so I'm sure he can do it again, given the freedom and right source material.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2016 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

I love how in the thread next door just a few hours ago you were complaining about Spanish composers forced to imitate modern Hollywood trends...and then you go and praise this. Man, D, I can never figure you out. lol

It's not Oldboy. It's big and Hollywood-ish,but there is proper thematic structure in there. Nothing wrong with that. And you can hear his character esp. in the strings section. Not his stronger score of course, but it's not bland or auto-pilotish imo. A bright example of what i had in mind in the other comment, was for instance, Federico Jusid with stuff Misconduct like and all of the major scores Lucas Vidal wrote or THE NIGHT MANAGER - Victor Reyes which is down-right disappointing. And of course although not a Spaniard, Laurent Eyquem's career after his first 2 marvellously thematic and lush scores that got him attention (Copperhead and Winnie Mandela), has all been very sad and disappointing afterwards so far (Tokarev, Momentum etc)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    I thought both RISEN and IN THE HEART OF THE SEA were incredibly bland, yes. But Banos has done some good stuff before, so I'm sure he can do it again, given the freedom and right source material.

Risen has 1-2 cues that are highlights yes, the rest if bland. I thought In the heart of the sea was much more interesting as a whole.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. RYUICHI SAKAMOTO - high heels

Dark and mysterious THE REVENANT for sure worked wonders in the film (loved it btw), but it's difficult on disc. Nothing beats Sakamoto in his romantic, lush tone, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    STEPHAN ZACHARIAS - Der Untergang (the downfall)

Solemn, dramatic string-led score for an exceptional movie. Has he ever done anything else major since?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Demetris wrote

ATLANTIS - Stuart Hancock

Not as good, but almost as enjoyable smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Two works all and all from Teddy that i like:

TEDDY SHAPIRO - The intern. Very sweet, calming and soothing, like the loveable film.

And on the complete opposite: TEDDY SHAPIRO - the invitation . Dark and mysterious. Mr.Teddy: more of this style please.
  2. Demetris wrote
    STEPHAN ZACHARIAS - Der Untergang (the downfall)

Solemn, dramatic string-led score for an exceptional movie. Has he ever done anything else major since?

Not related to the score, but whenever I see the title only one scene comes to mind, which has been turned into a joke countless times. I'll never be able to watch the film again with a straight face. That's very sad actually, because it's a powerful scene, and a superb film.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yes, talking about overkill.
  3. Demetris wrote
    Demetris wrote

ATLANTIS - Stuart Hancock

Not as good, but almost as enjoyable smile

Do the James Newton Howard one next! It's the best of all!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's indeed a fabulous score! Atlantis really inspires people eh? smile
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Demetris wrote
    Two works all and all from Teddy that i like:

TEDDY SHAPIRO - The intern. Very sweet, calming and soothing, like the loveable film.

And on the complete opposite: TEDDY SHAPIRO - the invitation . Dark and mysterious. Mr.Teddy: more of this style please.

He's one of those composers I want to like a lot more than I actually do.

He's written some excellent scores though. Funnily enough my favourite just might be Marley and Me which has 2 or 3 themes that I just love.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Other examples? i remember not liking Marley and Me..
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2016 edited
    Btw to me, he's just in this type of composers like John Ottman who write perfectly good but by the numbers, something is terribly missing and lacking. Coherence? meaning? emotion? it's like music written by a computer (with some exceptions: Teddy, above-listed scores for me, and Ottman: x-men: days of the future past , and Valkyrie)
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Sin Nombre - Marcelo Zarvos

This would have to be one of my most played scores of recent years. I absolutely love it - the movement, the rich colours and textures, the exotic themes, the eerie dissonance. A brilliant score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote
    Sin Nombre - Marcelo Zarvos

This would have to be one of my most played scores of recent years. I absolutely love it - the movement, the rich colours and textures, the exotic themes, the eerie dissonance. A brilliant score.

I like Zarvos. Make sure you check out (if you haven't already wink ); the door in the floor, his best score to date, imo. And also: reaching the moon, face of love, the affair
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    I'm a huge fan of Ottman's early to mid-period stuff especially - Incognito, Usual Suspects, Apt Pupil, Pumpkin, Snow White, Goodbye Lover, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - all fantastic scores.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Yeah mate, Door in the Floor is fantastic, agreed. Haven't heard the others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Btw to me, he's just in this type of composers like John Ottman who write perfectly good but by the numbers, something is terribly missing and lacking. Coherence? meaning? emotion? it's like music written by a computer (with some exceptions: Teddy, above-listed scores for me, and Ottman: x-men: days of the future past , and Valkyrie)

Theodore Shapiro is an incredibly talented guy (met him briefly in LA four years ago) who just happens to have been typcast in comedies. I hope he gets to branch out more -- you got to see some of his talent in TROPIC THUNDER and THE PIRATES! BAND OF MSIFITS. Otherwise, he'll end up like Alan Menken. Not that Menken should complain with the amount of success he's had (and he's one of my alltime favourite composers) -- but I'm sure he would have wanted to explore other territories, musically, over the course of his career, like thrillers, action films etc.
    I am extremely serious.