• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Wing Commander (1999) - David Arnold; Kevin Kiner

The film credits Arnold with having composed the themes whereas the CD cites him only as the composer of the outstanding main theme. However, this is a serviceable space opera romp that I like to return to once in a while.

I revisited the film last Friday. It fared better than it did in my memory. The story is simple but it's over in 90 minutes so that is fine by me. The CGI is atrociously bad. The cast is decent. The hole concept owes inspiration to classic Galactica and has in turn lend some inspiration to the reinvisioned Galactica. A OK film to pass an evening with.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2016
    ^ There is nothing SERVICEABLE about that score. It's a spectacular score, much like Arnold's The Musketeer, that didn't get the attention it deserved when it was first released!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Probably used the wrong word here. Wouldn't call it spectacular, but yes, it's really good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2016 edited
    Spectacular is the only word that comes to mind when I listen to "The Overture" and "Kilrathi Into Scylla"

punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Wing Commander (1999) - David Arnold; Kevin Kiner

The film credits Arnold with having composed the themes whereas the CD cites him only as the composer of the outstanding main theme. However, this is a serviceable space opera romp that I like to return to once in a while.

I revisited the film last Friday. It fared better than it did in my memory. The story is simple but it's over in 90 minutes so that is fine by me. The CGI is atrociously bad. The cast is decent. The hole concept owes inspiration to classic Galactica and has in turn lend some inspiration to the reinvisioned Galactica. A OK film to pass an evening with.

Volker

[geekmode]
    The movie is a tepid adaptation of the way more spectacular and lavishly produced videogames made for the PC platform. Especially WC III and IV which starred Mark Hamill, Malcolm McDowell, John Rhys-Davies, Thomas F. Wilson and other notables in the live action portion of the game. The director of the film and creator of the games Chris Roberts may have only this movie to this credit (and not a very good one) but he and his team are in the process of creating the most spectacular looking space game ever made (Star Citizen), which is costing a fortune and is already years in the making.
    [/geekmode]

The score of the 99 film rocks, no denying that fact. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I agree with Gilles. The videogames (which are more like interactive movies, really) are far better than the feature film adaptation. I have a very strong nostalgic relationship to those two games (III and IV) back at a time when I actually played computer games regularly. These games also had nice scores by George Oldziey, which used the MIDI technology at the time to sound as orchestral and large as possible. They really deserved (and still deserves) to be performed by a symphony orchestra. I can't remember anything of the feature film score, unfortunately.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: CRIMSON PEAK (Fernando Velazquez)

The album is much too long, and I wish the horror stuff was toned down in favour of the romantic, "delicious darkness" stuff (which is REALLY good), but otherwise a fine score.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    NP: DYING LIGHT (Pawel Blaszczak)

Great, retro electroscore for this 2015 videogame, one of the highlights of the "genre" last year. Pawel, have you heard about this Polish composer, your namesake?

The name crops up here and there, but I know nothing about the guy. I happen to know one of the Witcher III guys personally, but that's about all in the video game world.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Thor wrote
    I agree with Gilles. The videogames (which are more like interactive movies, really) are far better than the feature film adaptation. I have a very strong nostalgic relationship to those two games (III and IV) back at a time when I actually played computer games regularly. These games also had nice scores by George Oldziey, which used the MIDI technology at the time to sound as orchestral and large as possible. They really deserved (and still deserves) to be performed by a symphony orchestra. I can't remember anything of the feature film score, unfortunately.

shocked angry

Thor, check a PM I sent you on Oct 10th 2015. Either you forgot I sent it or you never got it, which is impossible as I got a drunk reply. biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Wing Commander (1999) - David Arnold; Kevin Kiner
    (...)

Volker

[geekmode]
    The movie is a tepid adaptation of the way more spectacular and lavishly produced videogames made for the PC platform. Especially WC III and IV which starred Mark Hamill, Malcolm McDowell, John Rhys-Davies, Thomas F. Wilson and other notables in the live action portion of the game. The director of the film and creator of the games Chris Roberts may have only this movie to this credit (and not a very good one) but he and his team are in the process of creating the most spectacular looking space game ever made (Star Citizen), which is costing a fortune and is already years in the making.
    [/geekmode]

The score of the 99 film rocks, no denying that fact. punk

As I never had any interest in playing video games that is a frame of reference that has no bearing on my perception. I am aware of course of the cult status that video game franchise holds.
    Mark Hamill had a cameo in the film as the voice of the fighter AI Merlin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

shocked angry

Thor, check a PM I sent you on Oct 10th 2015. Either you forgot I sent it or you never got it, which is impossible as I got a drunk reply. biggrin

Ha, ha...right you are. Sorry about that. I was indeed drunk when I got that message and then forgot all about it. Checking it now!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
    Cool smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2016
    Ash Vs Evil Dead Joseph LoDuca

I suppose this should be the last time I post about this for fear of ad nauseam (where a certain Norse god resides), but it deserves at least another mention. It's my favourite TV score of 2015 for sure; there's so much going on in this album.

It's an eclectic mix of styles tethered together by a surprisingly coherent thematic structure. It goes from truly creepy, and unique, horror music, to brutal action, infectious heroism, Spaghetti Western, trippy 60s music, back to horror and action, rounded off with one of the coolest themes from last year -- if not the coolest.

It's great. I can't wait for another album!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2016 edited
    I often enjoyed LoDuca's work in the past (Army Of Darkness being his magum opus, in my opinion). So I should prolly check this out!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. NP: The Black Hole (1979) - John Barry

Gravitational Waves have been proven to exist. Einstein was right once again. What better score to celebrate this scientific triumph.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I dislike that score vehemently, so I'm celebrating with...

Interstellar Hans Zimmer

Much better.
  7. Haven't heard The Black Hole but the theme is fantastic.

And yes Interstellar is a modern marvel. Yes I do listen to new scores from time to time. smile Especially the ones with a sound that stand out. And Interstellar is at the very least unique.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    Battle of Algiers - Ennio Morricone

This is some piece of work. So stark and aggressive and yet so compelling. The music was written for a film about the Battle of Algiers.

Great score. Have you seen the film?

One of the best of its kind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yellowstone - Edmund Butt

One of the best of its kind, too.
  8. Bandolero!

It's okay, but not exactly the type of Goldsmith that I hold dear to my heart. Some fine rhythmic work and original use of instruments, I just hope Take a Hard Ride is better (haven't heard it yet).

Powder

Now this on the other hand I adore. 'Theme from Powder' is fantastic, but 'Everywhere' is one of the most emotionally draining cues I've ever heard from Jerry. The film is also a bit of an underrated gem IMO. Love those performances and the main character. When I'm in the right mood I'm bawling my eyes out... And not an ounce of shame I have by stating that. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2016
    DreamTheater wrote
    Haven't heard The Black Hole but the theme is fantastic.

And yes Interstellar is a modern marvel. Yes I do listen to new scores from time to time. smile Especially the ones with a sound that stand out. And Interstellar is at the very least unique.

Interstellar is superb, one of my favourites of recent times.

As for Barry's THE BLACK HOLE, the complete Intrada release showed it in a whole new light for me, I love all the moody and 'awe' stuff and this revealing album elevated it far higher than my dismissive feelings for it before the Intrada release but I do get irritated by the Black Hole theme itself which is repeated too much, swirling and swirling...yeah we get it, once or twice was enough.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

As for Barry's THE BLACK HOLE, the complete Intrada release showed it in a whole new light for me, I love all the moody and 'awe' stuff and this revealing album elevated it far higher than my dismissive feelings for it before the Intrada release but I do get irritated by the Black Hole theme itself which is repeated too much, swirling and swirling...yeah we get it, once or twice was enough.

I'm not sure you are both talking about the same cue here. The Mait Title (and End Title sequence) employing the sweeping Moog synths is fantastic whereas the Overture fanfare is rather simple, doesn't fit the rest of the album stylistically and is repeated much to often. I guess something "Star-Wars-like" had to be in there.

Volker
    •  
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2016 edited
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Well a black hole does indeed swirl intensely and repeatedly, so Barry was at least musically staying true to the science. smile
  10. THE FORCE AWAKENS

I'm now on my fifth listen and by now it should've clicked, but no, each listen has gotten more dull and more obnoxious, going against my expectation of what a good Star Wars score should be. I simply don't understand the general praise this is getting.

This simply doesn't cut it. I still remember my first go with TFA, and liking it a more, but now I think that was due to excitement of hearing a new Williams than the actual quality of the music. Its orchestrations are rahter good, but the composition is pretty stale and a lot of the cues are all over the place without a clear narrative structure compared to say Return of the Jedi, or The Phantom Menace. Even the returning of the classic themes feels forced (pun not intended). The more I hear it, the less I can sing along, and that's never a good sign.

Never thought I'd have to say this, but maybe it's finally time to pass the baton to someone else for episode 8. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Mercifully, the powers that be know better.
  11. That was my final rant concerning the score. I'll hear it in context soon enough, and unless it magically sounds completely different than what's on the CD, it will go down in history as my least favorite SW. Even the game scores fare better IMO. Something like The Old Republic excites me where TFA doesn't.

Fight the power ! knight
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE FORCE AWAKENS
    Never thought I'd have to say this, but maybe it's finally time to pass the baton to someone else for episode 8. sad

A great idea, how about Gustavo Dudamel? Apparantly he gets a better response from the orchestra when he conducts JW's great compositions. ( see JOHN WILLIAMS thread and the clip I posted yesterday for confirmation )

tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Now that would be ideal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2016 edited
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE FORCE AWAKENS

A great idea, how about Gustavo Dudamel? Apparantly he gets a better response from the orchestra when he conducts JW's great compositions. ( see JOHN WILLIAMS thread and the clip I posted yesterday for confirmation )

tongue

Dudamel can conduct but I don't want any one else to score episode 8. Now, if something were to happen to Williams, I'd be physically ill if Nathan Johnson, Rain Johnson's frequent collaboration AND cousin, gets the gig.

My replacement choices would be...

1) William Ross because he worked so closely with Williams on episode 7.
    2) Any one of these five
    3) Conrad Pope - For obvious reasons
    4) If he knocks Rogue One out of the park, Desplat might be considered.
    5) Gordy Haab... or any of the more recent Star Wars video game composers.
    6) If all else fails... Michael Giacchino.

-Erik-