• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2016
    He sure seems like a nice guy, but his outcome doesn't do anything for me (apart the 2 exceptions above smile )

n.p. I Am Dina - MARCO BELTRAMI

Fantastic, organic music, small-scale with cello and female vocalist, one of his most esoteric scores to date.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    He sure seems like a nice guy, but his outcome doesn't do anything for me (apart the 2 exceptions above smile )

Fantastic, organic music, small-scale with cello and female vocalist, one of his most esoteric scores to date.

Gorgeous. And a Danish-Norwegian film too! Wish Beltrami worked more with Ole Bornedal.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: iTunes in shuffle mode

I do this every now and then; change to 'shuffle mode' and let iTunes play randomly among my 25.428 tracks. Only amusing for so long, but fun while it lasts. I sometimes rediscover things I haven't played in years.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. QUANTUM BREAK - Petri Alanko

A score for Thor ! cool

Lots of electronics and complex and interesting soundscapes. Also written for a game he'll never play. And it's a short album. So he should definitely check it out. cool

Before this Alanko had composed the music to Alan Wake and that is also an intruiging soundtrack for the previous game by the makers of Quantum Break. Some really emotional material in that one.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks for the recommendation, Gilles. I'll have a listen on Spotify.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Demetris wrote
    Btw to me, he's just in this type of composers like John Ottman who write perfectly good but by the numbers, something is terribly missing and lacking. Coherence? meaning? emotion? it's like music written by a computer (with some exceptions: Teddy, above-listed scores for me, and Ottman: x-men: days of the future past , and Valkyrie)

Again, this is so weird. You complain (not without some merit) about Ottman's music lacking coherence and meaning and soul, but then you cite X-Men: Days of Future Past as an exception to that despite it being one of his most incoherent and meaningless and soulless (and temped to shit and back) scores. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    QUANTUM BREAK - Petri Alanko

A score for Thor ! cool

Lots of electronics and complex and interesting soundscapes. Also written for a game he'll never play. And it's a short album. So he should definitely check it out. cool

Before this Alanko had composed the music to Alan Wake and that is also an intruiging soundtrack for the previous game by the makers of Quantum Break. Some really emotional material in that one.

OK, I listened to it.

You were right, Gilles. I like this quite a bit. I have some issues, though -- one is that it doesn't stick with a groove long enough (so many of the tracks feel like they're "between two songs") and the other is that Alanko is a bit too fond of low-end modulations, which got out of fashion after the dubstep craze two years ago.

But yeah -- a nice score overall. It's pretty damn close to being something RIGHT up my alley.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2016 edited
    Southall wrote
    101 Dalmatians - Michael Kamen

Just wonderful. One of those scores I seem to like so much more than anyone else does.

Cough... cough

Cough... cough... COUGH!

COUGH... COUGH.... COUGH!

wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote

Gorgeous. And a Danish-Norwegian film too! Wish Beltrami worked more with Ole Bornedal.

True.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Btw to me, he's just in this type of composers like John Ottman who write perfectly good but by the numbers, something is terribly missing and lacking. Coherence? meaning? emotion? it's like music written by a computer (with some exceptions: Teddy, above-listed scores for me, and Ottman: x-men: days of the future past , and Valkyrie)

Again, this is so weird. You complain (not without some merit) about Ottman's music lacking coherence and meaning and soul, but then you cite X-Men: Days of Future Past as an exception to that despite it being one of his most incoherent and meaningless and soulless (and temped to shit and back) scores. dizzy

Has a strong theme! See, i am a sucker for themes. Which are mostly lacking from many film scores these days smile
  3. Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    QUANTUM BREAK - Petri Alanko

A score for Thor ! cool

OK, I listened to it.

You were right, Gilles. I like this quite a bit. I have some issues, though -- one is that it doesn't stick with a groove long enough (so many of the tracks feel like they're "between two songs") and the other is that Alanko is a bit too fond of low-end modulations, which got out of fashion after the dubstep craze two years ago.

But yeah -- a nice score overall. It's pretty damn close to being something RIGHT up my alley.

Damn close is good enough. beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The 'shuffle' thing is really wild.

Over the last few songs, I've gone from Jean Michel Jarre to Supertramp to Stravinsky to Williams' DADDY'S GONE A-HUNTING to CHICKEN RUN to medieval lute music to Steppenwolf. Now into "Mouse Robot" from STAR WARS on church organ.

dizzy
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

Has a strong theme! See, i am a sucker for themes. Which are mostly lacking from many film scores these days smile

That's not true at all!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

yeah
  4. Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

Are you referring to the theme from Inception or the one from Lifeforce? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Don't care about plagiarisms much. There's no parthenogenesis these days smile As long as it's bold and memorable and there's a theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    ...and TWICE now, the 'shuffle' has played John Barry to me -- and I hardly have any John Barry to begin with. Is it trying to tell me something?
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

Just wonderful. One of those scores I seem to like so much more than anyone else does.

Cough... cough

Cough... cough... COUGH!

wink

-Erik-

Count me in, too! This is in my top 10 for 1996, and one my favorite scores by Kamen (probably top 3). Reading back through your previous posts, Erik, caused me to listen to "Pup, pup, pup, pup, puppies" again. That track is really incredible. What the piano does starting at about 3:57 just doesn't seem possible. Is that really a piano? Can anyone really play that fast? I can't get over that. There are some big beautiful moments in that score, as well. "Teh Wedding" and "Puppies in the Mist" are so wonderful! And "Home - One Big Happy Family" is a wonderful reprise of the Wedding music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    BROTHERS IN ARMS: HELL'S HIGHWAY - Ed Lima & Duncan Watt

A game score for a first-person shooter set in World War II that only lasts 23 minutes. rolleyes

Not worth your time? Think again ! Because this score is absolutely brilliant. Fully orchestral and with a powerful choir to back it up. And most important of all: ONE HELL OF A MAIN THEME punk

IMO this is hands down one of the best videogame soundtracks ever composed. The only downside about this is that it's so terribly short.

Here's a suite I made if you still need convincing. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    ...and TWICE now, the 'shuffle' has played John Barry to me -- and I hardly have any John Barry to begin with. Is it trying to tell me something?

What superb taste your 'shuffle' exhibits cool biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Speaking of...

NP : RUBY CAIRO - John Barry

I noticed James playing this a few days ago so had to give it a listen, it's been too long and this is a helluva fine score with a gorgeous theme often repeated but never outstaying it's welcome thanks to varied interpretations including a lovely Spanish flavoured flamenco guitar version, a lovely exotic score of the kind Barry rarely wrote during the 1990's.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Demetris wrote
    Don't care about plagiarisms much. There's no parthenogenesis these days smile As long as it's bold and memorable and there's a theme.

That's not what I call "bold" or "memorable". And even if the theme weren't derivative I can name at least 10, probably 20 scores from the same year with stronger ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

Cough... cough

Cough... cough... COUGH!

wink

-Erik-

Yes, yes - not quite "anyone"!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

That's not what I call "bold" or "memorable". And even if the theme weren't derivative I can name at least 10, probably 20 scores from the same year with stronger ones.

Well what can i say mate, it's Ottman, my standards are already as low as possible wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - Michael Kamen

I can't believe I hadn't used to like this all that much. What an idiot I was.

Actually it just finished, so now I'm listening to his glorious concerto for electric guitar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ludwig Goransson - creed

Give this man more stuff to composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    TERENCE BLANCHARD - 25th hour

This score has so, so many highlights. Pure winner, pure gold. Same goes for his Katrina score.
  7. Demetris wrote
    Ludwig Goransson - creed

Give this man more stuff to composer.

Yeah, I'm curious to see where he goes from there. Creed certainly earmarks him as a versatile talent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2016
    Indeed, he certainly landed big on the radar. Let's hope he doesn't get burned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2016 edited
    N.P. Qigang Chen - the flowers of War

Solemn and poetic, the overlooked film imo, has a gorgeous score. Lush and elegant, nostalgic and deeply romantic. With lots of talent, like Joshua Bell, Allmanna Sangen and a top-notch China Philharmonic Orchestra, this score is full of gems, especially the love theme.