• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote
    Yeah, THE FLOWERS OF WAR is fantastic.

Demetris, have you been listening through all the IFMCA promos from a couple of years ago? Very familiar 2013/2014-ish titles you've been playing over the last few weeks....

I am on shuffle on my hard disk, but i've tossed and deleted through the years a shitload of scores i will never listen to again therefore i kept only the good stuff smile

I'm thinking of doing the same, simply because more than 25.000 tracks takes up a lot of space on my hard drive, and I'm running out of space...

I've kept some scores for the faint possibility I might like them down the road, but I should really make some hard decisions like you.

You know what i did? i put my entire (huge) hard disk music folder on winamp shuffle and whenever i stumbled upon crappy style of film music for my tastes, i deleted the whole album smile So there's much less stuff i don't actually like on the hard disk anymore.

What if that throws up a bad track from an otherwise good score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2016
    Yes, i thought about that too so before i toss it, once i found the bad apple, i also checked the rest of the tree in a complete listen before deletion smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. In that case chop away! biggrin

Although I'm one of those weird people who, even if I hear a score I hate, would never delete it outright. Might as well let it collect (virtual) cobwebs...perhaps decades down the line, I'll dust it off to find my tastes have changed...who knows?
  3. Hans Zimmer - Interstellar

The suites this time, which I am using for a conference paper about the score I'm delivering on Wednesday.

For those who like the score and haven't heard the suites, I have to say that Murph is just plain exquisite. Perhaps the most beautiful piece Hans created since the beginning of the millennium. I think there's a Mahlerian element to the theme (heard on the soundtrack album in I'm Going Home, but it's used more in the film). Just plain beauty, a very romantic piece in sound. No matter some of his recent failures, the guy still has it in him. Not to forget are also some of the more Vangelisian synth parts, which also add to the majesty of the piece.

Organ Variations is just the theme of love (not "love theme", it's not for a subplot, but for the film's thematic sensibilities) and also beautiful. The barebones version of Day One is, in that matter, a bit disappointing, because clearly the orchestral performance on the original album and the organ do add a lot.

Tick-Tock, the development of the action material is also quite great and beats both Mountains and the controversially omitted No Time for Caution. It's some of the best material Hans has done for ages.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Not to forget are also some of the more Vangelisian synth parts, which also add to the majesty of the piece.

"Vangelisian"...what a great word!

What conference is this?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    In that case chop away! biggrin

Although I'm one of those weird people who, even if I hear a score I hate, would never delete it outright. Might as well let it collect (virtual) cobwebs...perhaps decades down the line, I'll dust it off to find my tastes have changed...who knows?

Well indeed, it's another way to view the world. The more positive one. I am already 33 and i feel i have absolutely no time to waste smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Well indeed, it's another way to view the world. The more positive one. I am already 33 and i feel i have absolutely no time to waste smile

Only 33? Oh, you kids nowadays.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2016 edited
    NP: iTunes shuffle continues...

It's insane. 90% of the tracks that come up, I have no idea what is. I have to open iTunes to find out. I'm impressed by the selection of tracks, though -- from pop & rock to classical to electronic to film music, from calm to upbeat etc. It's like there's an internal DJ in there.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    Eddie the Eagle - Matthew Margeson

One of the best scores of the year thus far (top 20 at least) but by no means a masterpiece or anything like that. Just a very good 80's throwback score. Its greatest weakness is probably that it feels so derivative of a number of scores/works from the era. It is not exactly subtle, but that is probably the point, but I still can't ignore the fact that i'd rather be listening to some of the original scores from the era than this.

I will take what I get I guess though - especially in "desperate" times like these. It has been a rather weak year so far imo, but the most promising scores (on paper at least) are still to come so I have to remain positive.
  4. Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Not to forget are also some of the more Vangelisian synth parts, which also add to the majesty of the piece.

What conference is this?

It's a conference on the films of Christopher Nolan. I actually had a great friend who, except being a documentary director, also is a formally trained and actively performing organ player, so we tried to find out some things together.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Washu wrote

One of the best scores of the year thus far (top 20 at least) but by no means a masterpiece or anything like that. Just a very good 80's throwback score. Its greatest weakness is probably that it feels so derivative of a number of scores/works from the era. It is not exactly subtle, but that is probably the point, but I still can't ignore the fact that i'd rather be listening to some of the original scores from the era than this.

I will take what I get I guess though - especially in "desperate" times like these. It has been a rather weak year so far imo, but the most promising scores (on paper at least) are still to come so I have to remain positive.

Not just "one of the best", but IMO THE best score of the year so far.

Doing brilliant 80s pastiche is actually quite difficult (I know several who have tried and failed), and to do it with such a skill and emotional immediacy is rather remarkable.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Capt America: Civil War - Jackman

Infinitely better than the previous one, but so very non-descript. How can you score a film like this and not even try to put a memorable theme or two in it?
  5. That's not what Marvel hires them for, it would seem.

NP: The Matrix Reloaded - Don Davis

"Chateau Swashbuckling." Wonderful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2016 edited
    Great piece that ^

NP: LITTLE WOMEN - Thomas Newman

This man has an impeccable back-catalogue. I don't really give a shit about such things... but give the guy a fucking Oscar already.
  6. Hey, I also listened to Little Women today! For the first time, as a matter of fact. Wonderful little score. It's amazing how Newman can write pieces that are satisfying and well-rounded and self-contained, all while clocking in under a minute. I don't think any other composer can match him in that regard...but at the same time, I do sometimes feel like his ideas and melodies here are a bit constrained other than in the opening and closing titles. He doesn't get the chance to just let them flow like in "Homecoming" from Bridge of Spies or the final few tracks of The Shawshank Redemption, which is a bit of a shame.
  7. Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

What conference is this?

What an incredible coincidence!!!

Of all the scores I own I decided to listen to this morning, after a very long time, the very much Vangelisian sounding ALEXANDER by a Greek called, wait for it......., Vangelis.

Isn't that bizarre? dizzy

But what a good score it still is. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2016
    NP : THE AGE OF ADALINE - Rob Simonsen

This is gorgeous. A thank you to Erik Woods facebook post for alerting me to this. beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2016
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE AGE OF ADALINE - Rob Simonsen

This is gorgeous. A thank you to Erik Woods facebook post for alerting me to this. beer

It's a fine score. The film, however, leaves something to be desired.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2016 edited
    NP: The Immortal Voyage of Captain Drake - Lucas Vidal

A sweeping, fully symphonic, nautical adventure score! No idea how I missed this one back in 2008 but it probably would have made my top 10. Outstanding!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. Erik Woods wrote

A sweeping, fully symphonic, nautical adventure score! No idea how I missed this one back in 2008 but it probably would have made my top 10. Outstanding!

-Erik-

This is a very good score. I don't think that it was available when the film was first released. It may have been as late as 2011 - that's when I discovered it had been released digitally.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2016 edited
    Perfume - Klimek, Heil and Tykwer

Lush, rich and mesmerising. A truly brilliant score and one of those rare ones you can return to after a long period and be genuinely surprised by its depths all over again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2016
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Only 33? Oh, you kids nowadays.

How old are you btw ? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

This is a very good score. I don't think that it was available when the film was first released. It may have been as late as 2011 - that's when I discovered it had been released digitally.

It's from before they turned him into a low budget Zimmer replacement wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote
    Perfume - Klimek, Heil and Tykwer

Lush, rich and mesmerising. A truly brilliant score and one of those rare ones you can return to after a long period and be genuinely surprised by its depths all over again.

Absolutely adore it too, film and score. A small landmark in modern film scoring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Washu wrote

Doing brilliant 80s pastiche is actually quite difficult (I know several who have tried and failed), and to do it with such a skill and emotional immediacy is rather remarkable.

That's it if you like that 80's sound. I don't and was another quick pass for me smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    That's it if you like that 80's sound. I don't and was another quick pass for me smile

You're too young to appreciate it! wink

(I'm 38, so my five "extra years" on you gives me the necessary 80s connection!).
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote
    Washu wrote

Not sure about it being a purely 80's throwback sound. Maybe an early 90's approach, which still had some 80's residue going on stylistically. Catchy melodies were still the norm, yet hip-hop, r&b and rap were beginning to take over.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's mostly molded in late 80s idioms (ALF, Grusin, DAYS OF THUNDER, David Foster's Olympic music), but obviously with some contemporary leanings.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. The Horse Whisperer - Thomas Newman

Hmm. It has some nice sections, but also long stretches that are really dull and quiet to the point of being basically ambient. I was under the impression that this was one of Newman's 90s melodic masterworks, but it's a far cry from The Shawshank Redemption...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    The Horse Whisperer is lovely and the closest thing to a 'Western' - he has done. Yes it's ambient but Newman excels at this.