• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2016
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Timmer wrote
    J. Flaherty wrote
    The Big Country - Jerome Moross

First listen. Ever. shame

The rerecording or the original? I'd be interested to hear your 'virgin listen' opinion on a score I think is one of the greatest ever written.

Listening to the Philharmonia Orchestra re-recording. Crystal clear!
    I love the color of the orchestrations throughout. Great movement. Boisterous gestures. It's great!

cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. J. Flaherty wrote
    Timmer wrote
    J. Flaherty wrote
    The Big Country - Jerome Moross

First listen. Ever. shame

The rerecording or the original? I'd be interested to hear your 'virgin listen' opinion on a score I think is one of the greatest ever written.

Listening to the Philharmonia Orchestra re-recording. Crystal clear!
    I love the color of the orchestrations throughout. Great movement. Boisterous gestures. It's great!

It's also a couple of years since I first discovered The Big Country... I love how it's melodic and memorable all the way through, like from the very first note until the second. Producers nowadays hate such music because it gets in the way of sound effects and dialogue.

I mean what where they thinking back in the good old days, letting actual music come to the forefront... absolutely preposterous thinking of the people in charge of movies then. rolleyes
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Conan the Barbarian - Basil P.

Either I'm an ignorant mook or the love theme sounds a whole heck of a lot like Braveheart.
  3. For real? Because I know both very well and I've never made the connection?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    No i said i like him during the previous days, if you see my np posts. Surely he's not 'great' though wink

I think he's one of the most exciting composers of his generation. I think we've only seen a fragment of his abilites so far.

dizzy
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed,
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If Trapanese has shown us just a fragment of his abilities so far, then he's doing a grand job of hiding the rest of them. For once, I would love to see Thor proved right on this point though.
  4. Bruce Broughton, who Trapanese originally worked with, seems to be quite fond of his work. He even used Trapanese for a little quip against Hans on an orchestration course (Trapanse knows "a bit more chords" than Hans).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2016 edited
    I like his style, a lot. Esp. in scores like ALLEGIANT which i was playing a lot last week. But if Hans knows 2 chords, Trapanese knows 3wink As i said, enjoyable to many, his style, including me, but he's nowhere even near being 'great' nor do i think he has a lot more to show to us, a lot of his scores (if not all) sound very similar, more or less.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Even if Trapanese knows a few more chords than Zimmer, Zimmer certainly knows how to create something far more special. I hope he can prove himself beyond the modern style he's stayed within ever since he came onto the scene with Tron - but it's not looking hopeful at this point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2016 edited
    He's one of those who are totally involved in pop music and electronic music outside his film music, and who is brilliant at cross-using elements from each.

My favourites -- outside the work on TRON: LEGACY (and the underrated TRON: UPRISING) -- are STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON, EARTH TO ECHO (although the film was pants) and obviously what he did on OBLIVION with M83.

I've been wanting to check out his earlier work for shorts and other media (not to mention the pop stuff), but I'm not sure about the availability.

I love his "lush" electronic sound with echoey high hats and seething, expansive synthscapes. Some fine orchestral stuff too, like on EARTH TO ECHO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2016
    STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON is surpisingly good in the film i'd say. Slow, string-heavy, dramatic.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    In the Heart of the Sea - Roque Banos

I don't mind this at all. Nothing original or memorable thematically but there’s plenty of action with a certain robustness to it that makes it all very listenable. 'Blows' is a definite highlight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote
    In the Heart of the Sea - Roque Banos

I don't mind this at all. Nothing original or memorable thematically but there’s plenty of action with a certain robustness to it that makes it all very listenable. 'Blows' is a definite highlight.

Yes, and the main theme is a treat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    SPECTRE Thomas Newman

The highlights make for an excellent album. I realise not everyone is so enamoured with it, but with these Bond films, Newman has shown himself to be an incredibly capable and interesting action composer. It fits the modern mold of action scoring, but elevates itself above the usual fluff by virtue of being so much more effective. This is action music that gets under the skin, creating tension and excitement without throwing every note at the page. I like that approach too, I'm still a 12 year old at heart, but Newman does it with effortless style.

I'd love to see Arnold return to the franchise, because he can write a better Bond score. But I do hope Newman is given more action films. (I would say Marvel, but they have a tendency to inflict more than the usual unreasonable limitations on composers.)
  5. SUPER ATRAGON - Masamichi Amano

Super Awesome punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ I listened to that phenominal score last night!

punk punk punk indeed!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Amano has done many fantastic things despite being somewhat of a temp-track copycat (Battle Royale I & II for instance). However I don't mind it at all because he puts his own spin on that.

Erik, I recommend THE AURORA by the same composer. Personally I love it nearly as much as Super Atragon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Cool. Thanks for the recommendation!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MIRACLES FROM HEAVEN (Carlo Siliotto)

One of the highlights of the year so far!
    I am extremely serious.
  7. BEYOND BORDERS - James Horner

It's not my favorite album from him, but I do enjoy the lovely theme for Ethiopia.
  8. Moved on to. . .

GAMBA - Benjamin Wallfisch

This is just my second listen. I remember liking this, but it's better than I remembered. "Stronger Together" is really wonderful!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2016
    christopher wrote
    Moved on to. . .

This is just my second listen. I remember liking this, but it's better than I remembered. "Stronger Together" is really wonderful!

I just bought this recently and heard it for the first time the other day. It's a bit headache-inducing by the end but its brilliantly composed and orchestrated music and in general a lot of fun to listen to.

Has he written anything else on this scale?
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Death by Dishonour - Brian May

Not his greatest work but a very strong action score nonetheless. The 40 minute length is perfect too.
  9. David OC wrote
    christopher wrote
    Moved on to. . .

I just bought this recently and heard it for the first time the other day. It's a bit headache-inducing by the end but its brilliantly composed and orchestrated music and in general a lot of fun to listen to.

Not to my knowledge. I've heard several of his other scores but none have been nearly so big and adventurous. I do really like his score for SUMMER IN FEBRUARY, but it's nothing like this. It's much more classical and refined.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2016 edited
    What a Wonderful Family! - Joe Hisaishi

His first score in almost 2 years and it isn't anything special at all. It is a decent comedy score, no more no less. I am not a fan of most of the cues being less than a minute long either and it does not help that i'm usually not into quirky scores like this. Hopefully he poured everything he could into Ni no Kuni 2: The Revenant Kingdom instead and crafts the score of the year (or next year if it takes that long before it is released). Sounds like it could be a contender for the score of the year and one of his finest works based on what we've heard so far so hopefully the rest is as good.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    En Mai.......... - Morricone

Great to have any new score from the master but dare I say it's a little bit dull? Very nice in parts but way too familiar and reminiscent of better past Morricone scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: RECYCLING LILY (Philipp Schweidler & Moritz Schneider)

Part whimsical rockabilly, part beautiful, romantic, string-led music -- this 2013 score seemed to have gone under the radar for most.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: my Brian Tyler playlist

It will be quite interesting to hear in two days time whether Tyler's own selection in any way matches my own favourites!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    David OC wrote
    christopher wrote
    Moved on to. . .

Yes. Check out his music to the stage production of Peter Pan

-Erik-