• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2016
    Martijn wrote
    NP: my Brian Tyler playlist

It will be quite interesting to hear in two days time whether Tyler's own selection in any way matches my own favourites!

Oooooo. That's an interesting exercise. No doubt my playlist would be way different than Tyler's

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    EDWARD SHEARMUR - Elvis and Nixon (itunes)

What a shame, or 'how the mighty' have fallen? When the composer of REIGN OF FIRE is coming up rarely with projects anymore, only to launch third-rate instantly forgettable stuff like this, you know something's wrong wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Thor, if you have not already I recommend you listen to Offworld Trading Company by Christopher Tin (composer of the famous Baba Yetu track from Civilization IV, though this music is absolutely nothing like that). Based on your posts here I suspect it may be exactly the kind of music you like. You can listen to some of the tracks on youtube, the composer has officially released them there, just type in the title and composer name. Here also is a fascinating article on the creation of the score:

http://www.mohawkgames.com/2016/04/26/c … -offworld/
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote
    NP: my Brian Tyler playlist

It will be quite interesting to hear in two days time whether Tyler's own selection in any way matches my own favourites!

Oooooo. That's an interesting exercise. No doubt my playlist would be way different than Tyler's

-Erik-

My expectation exactly. Will report back after the concert.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    Thor, if you have not already I recommend you listen to Offworld Trading Company by Christopher Tin (composer of the famous Baba Yetu track from Civilization IV, though this music is absolutely nothing like that). Based on your posts here I suspect it may be exactly the kind of music you like. You can listen to some of the tracks on youtube, the composer has officially released them there, just type in the title and composer name. Here also is a fascinating article on the creation of the score:

http://www.mohawkgames.com/2016/04/26/c … -offworld/

Thanks for the tip. I listened to a playlist on YT, and it was fine. Not totally sold, but fine enough. Some of it reminds me of Alan Silvestri's COSMOS.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor, I thought you had a thread on scores that are mainly or all piano, but I can't find it, so I'm posting here.

I stumbled upon a score called "Le vent de la nuit" (John Cale), and both cues I listened to were piano only. I found it boring, but it's slow so maybe you'll like it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npJckBuZBuI
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Slow+piano=bliss (for the most part). I'll check it out. Never really been a fan of his band (Velvet Underground), but then again I haven't heard that much. Plus, I've often confused him with John Cage and J.J. Cale (don't ask me why).
    I am extremely serious.
  3. The Velvet Underground and Nico love
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    She couldn't sing, they couldn't play...WHO CARES!!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Yes. Nico not being able to sing but doing it beautifully was one of my first remarks on this board. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I don't remember it...but I wholeheartedly agree! (I probably did back then when you first made that remark as well).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2016
    Martijn wrote
    She couldn't sing, they couldn't play...WHO CARES!!

I love Velvet Underground. Saw them at Glastonbury ( minus Nico who was dead ), basically they shouldn't have been on the main pyramid stage, boring as fuck, after a few tracks I led on the grass ( a non-muddy year ) and fell asleep.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    they couldn't play...WHO CARES!!

True! Obviously they'd come a long way since those Andy Warhol days wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Erik Woods wrote
    David OC wrote
    christopher wrote
    Moved on to. . .

GAMBA - Benjamin Wallfisch

This is just my second listen. I remember liking this, but it's better than I remembered. "Stronger Together" is really wonderful!

I just bought this recently and heard it for the first time the other day. It's a bit headache-inducing by the end but its brilliantly composed and orchestrated music and in general a lot of fun to listen to.

Has he written anything else on this scale?

Yes. Check out his music to the stage production of Peter Pan

-Erik-

Thanks for the suggestion Erik. We have a look on iTunes for it.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Once Upon a Time S2 - Mark Isham

Intermittently interesting with its variety of fairly low-key themes. The waltz cue is the best thing on the cd.
    Seems a such long time now since Isham was producing work of high quality with great regularity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Link - Jerry Goldsmith

Surely one of his most important scores, a milestone really.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Link - Jerry Goldsmith

biggrin

Personally I really like it.
  5. I find myself strangely enjoying Link. Musically it's weak, however it has a sense of fun that only he could do, even on an off-day.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Link - Jerry Goldsmith

But was he a genius?
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Yes.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2016
    yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2016 edited
    He was not.

(for those who don't know, it was a reference to a rather amusing debate at FSM).
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Being bored? Trolling again?

I thought you were referring to that FSM thread. Well, a genius of what? Music in general? He doesn't hold a candle to the likes of Mozart, Beethoven or Bach, but then, who does? With regard to film music? I believe Goldmith did enough inventive, ground breaking and simply inspired scores throughout his distinguished career to compare him with the giants of the genre. If you want to call that genius or not doesn't really matter.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2016 edited
    I didn't want to bring that whole thing over here, to be honest. It was just an amusing reference for those who got it. It's an impossible discussion, because people operate with vastly different, subjective definitions.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2016
    jc,ff.

udz. yhhdzd

xhhhh. we are sleeping.....
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: APOLLO 13 - James Horner

This is quite possibly one of my favourite scores ever. It's perfect - inside the film, outside of the fim, who gives a fuck...

It just touches me in all the right places, in ways most of my ex's never could.

lick
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote

This is quite possibly one of my favourite scores ever. It's perfect - inside the film, outside of the fim, who gives a fuck...

It just touches me in all the right places, in ways most of my ex's never could.

lick

It says something when I say this is nowhere near my favourite Horner scores but I absolutely love it, such was his output.
  8. Captain Future wrote
    Being bored? Trolling again?

I thought you were referring to that FSM thread. Well, a genius of what? Music in general? He doesn't hold a candle to the likes of Mozart, Beethoven or Bach, but then, who does? With regard to film music? I believe Goldmith did enough inventive, ground breaking and simply inspired scores throughout his distinguished career to compare him with the giants of the genre. If you want to call that genius or not doesn't really matter.

smile Volker

Perhaps not, but I find myself listening to Goldsmith waaaaaay more than I do Mozart, Beethoven or Bach...and I find myself listening to other film composers more than even Goldsmith.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Secondhand Lions - Patrick Doyle

This is excellent, a real forgotten gem. The main theme gets woven into many cues but it's so lively and varied overall that you never tire of what is a short but thoroughly entertaining score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote

lick

Beautiful score, very emotional. Film is very powerful too!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.