• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The talk about the main titles (the opening crawl) and about them being sucky or not raises an interesting question. Which of the 7 scores has the best sounding version? Heard on a high end stereo audio system, not as heard in the film using the latest Dolby Atmos decoding receiver and 9.2 speaker setup.

And with that in mind:

INDEPENDENCE DAY - David 'I used to write enormous music' Arnold

I hear a sequel is coming this summer. I dare bet my left nut that it will not have as glorious a score as this one. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2016
    christopher wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Should have been born earlier!

Yeah, what were you thinking, Edmund? That was a major oversight on your part.

NP - BELLE ET SEBASTIEN: L'AVENTURE CONTINUE - Armand Amar

This is a nice score from last year. I like Amar. I feel like he doesn't get too much attention around here.

Amar is fantastic. Much love from me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2016
    DreamTheater wrote
    The talk about the main titles (the opening crawl) and about them being sucky or not raises an interesting question. Which of the 7 scores has the best sounding version? Heard on a high end stereo audio system, not as heard in the film using the latest Dolby Atmos decoding receiver and 9.2 speaker setup.

I enjoy all of the original trilogy versions.

Kojian's version with the Utan Symphony along with Williams' own recording for THE HOLLYWOOD SOUND (LSO) are my favourite non-OST versions.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Yeah I need to check out those recordings, but I keep getting distracted by other things lately. smile

I own 'The Music of America: John Williams' with the Boston Pops, sounds pretty excellent too. Everything on that album does, by the way.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. NP - MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - ROGUE NATION - Joe Kramer

This is the my favorite action/thriller score from last year. Very well done. And the film was surprisingly good for the fifth entry in a franchise. I've actually enjoyed each of those film more than the last (with the exception of the second, which is pretty bad)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2016 edited
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - argo

a score i remember it to be much much better than what i hear now on disc. Maybe it was in the film? or the first couple of excited listens after the (very good btw) movie-watching afresh? maybe, 'cause now it doesn't do anything to me. I think it's mostly due to the irritating whispering and mouth-singing, the 'tic-tac-touca-touca-toum' thingy that goes throughout the whole album and also due to the unengaging action music i think. The slower, more dramatic parts are nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2016
    Changed to:

ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - De rouille et d'os

Ah, much, much better. Solemn and small-scale, small ensamble making up for a melancholic but heartfelt score with traces of hope (if you've seen the movie, a very good coupling this music and movie..). :* 11 De rouille et d'os" "le lac" and "le train" are some of my all-time favorite Desplat compositions, although admittedly quite Santaolalla-esque wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Demetris wrote
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - argo

a score i remember it to be much much better than what i hear now on disc. Maybe it was in the film? or the first couple of excited listens after the (very good btw) movie-watching afresh? maybe, 'cause now it doesn't do anything to me. I think it's mostly due to the irritating whispering and mouth-singing, the 'tic-tac-touca-touca-toum' thingy that goes throughout the whole album and also due to the unengaging action music i think. The slower, more dramatic parts are nice.

Although, truth to be told, 2 cues are exceptionally good: CLEARED IRANIAN AIRSPACe (Essentially a redux of the the ELEGY track from his score for BIRTH), and the same-titled "Argo".
  4. Demetris wrote
    Changed to:

Ah, much, much better. Solemn and small-scale, small ensamble making up for a melancholic but heartfelt score with traces of hope (if you've seen the movie, a very good coupling this music and movie..). :* 11 De rouille et d'os" "le lac" and "le train" are some of my all-time favorite Desplat compositions, although admittedly quite Santaolalla-esque wink

I HATE this score. I think it might even be in my bottom 10 ever. crazy crazy crazy

It's such a...nothing score. Just random sustained notes all over the place. It's so far removed from the quality I ordinarily associate with even Desplat's dullest "normal" scores. It makes The Tree of Life sound like Godzilla in comparison.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Changed to:

I HATE this score. I think it might even be in my bottom 10 ever. crazy crazy crazy

It's such a...nothing score. Just random sustained notes all over the place. It's so far removed from the quality I ordinarily associate with even Desplat's dullest "normal" scores. It makes The Tree of Life sound like Godzilla in comparison.

Have you seen the movie?
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    Demetris wrote
    Demetris wrote
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - argo

Although, truth to be told, 2 cues are exceptionally good: CLEARED IRANIAN AIRSPACe (Essentially a redux of the the ELEGY track from his score for BIRTH), and the same-titled "Argo".

"The Mission" is the track that gets the most plays from me. It's just a shorter version of "Cleared Iranian Airspace," but I think it works better as a self-contained piece. It's one of the best tracks from that year. Those two tracks are the only ones I ever return to from that score. I've never heard BIRTH, though I've meant to for a long time. Sounds like I need to listen to the elegy.

NP - TOMORROW WE DISAPPEAR - Dan Romer

I don't know how familiar any of you are with Dan Romer's music. I really like what he did with BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD a few years ago. This is my favorite of his scores from last year (there were quite a few of them, too). He has a bit of a different sound that I appreciate. This music isn't earth-shattering by any means, but it makes for a good short album. For any interested in hearing something new, I highly recommend the first track, "How We Used to Live."
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Demetris wrote
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - argo

"The Mission" is the track that gets the most plays from me. It's just a shorter version of "Cleared Iranian Airspace," but I think it works better as a self-contained piece. It's one of the best tracks from that year. Those two tracks are the only ones I ever return to from that score. I've never heard BIRTH, though I've meant to for a long time. Sounds like I need to listen to the elegy.

Get Birth now, a hypnotic, mesmerizing score, some of the best material he wrote to date. And go straight away to hear to 'elegy' first, from that score, then the rest smile
  5. Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Changed to:

Have you seen the movie?

I have not (artsy French stuff is not my cinematic bag), and I doubt it would change my opinion very much.
  6. NP: The Emperor's Club (2002) - James Newton Howard

One of my favourite scores by the composer. I watch this film currently with a philosophy class of mine. The students seemed indifferent at first but grew ever more interested during the course of the film. We stopped before the final act which we will see next week. The class ended with a lively discussion about the ethical topics evoked by the film.
    The film failed at the box office. It was blamed for being a balland ripoff of "Dead Poets Society", and yes, the first act can't deny the influence. While I'm at it, there is also a lift from "Goodbye Mr. Chips". I believe the film is good enough, even though the final does not quite live up to the premise.
    Likewise the score was blamed to be a bad case of temp track love. Since I don't know the assumed temp score that doesn't really concern me.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Changed to:

Have you seen the movie?

I have not (artsy French stuff is not my cinematic bag), and I doubt it would change my opinion very much.

Strong story-line there, not artsy French stuff, imo. Music makes strong impact in an already vivid story.

Alexandre Desplat - zero dark thirty, love him in this dark mode.
  7. NP: Three pieces from Goodbye Mr. Chips by Richard Addinsell as performed by the BBC Philharmonics. Fine music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - Philomena

That lush main theme is so infectious! Lovely film too.
  8. Demetris wrote
    Alexandre Desplat - zero dark thirty, love him in this dark mode.

There's another Desplat score I found mostly dull, although again, it's like Rise of the Guardians compared to the artsy French thing. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Rise of the Guardians is nice too, lush and grand. Completely different things wink
  9. NP: Timm Thaler (1979) - Christian Bruhn

The score of a TV show about a boy who sells his ability to laugh to the devil. A rocky synth score touched by New Age vibes, much like "Captain Future".

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - Godzilla

Fucking.amazing. Big balls and fierce. Love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Big balls and fierce. Love it.

I... erm... right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hahah #nohomo bro
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Demetris wrote
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - Godzilla

Fucking.amazing. Big balls and fierce. Love it.

I've heard it once outside of the film and twice inside it. Let's say that the two times hearing it in context has completely put me off of listening to it again on its own. No, the score totally irritated the hell out of me when I watched it. I kept wishing Godzilla to take a bite out of the soundtrack and do me a huge favor. But no, he was more interested in creating chaos and fighting other big monsters.

Oh well... at least D had fun. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Only me? i think it's a score generally praised and loved.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Emperor's Club (2002) - James Newton Howard

I'm a big fan of this one too. The temp-tracking, to make an educated guess, is some of Newman or Portman's more wistful material. Doesn't bother me greatly though because Howard is still very much all over the music.
  10. Demetris wrote
    Only me? i think it's a score generally praised and loved.

Yes you, because you were just playing it. Can you tell from where you're sitting what kind of fun the other members were having at that moment?

I could, cause I have a vivid imagination. biggrin
  11. LAWNMOWER MAN 2 - Robert Folk

My first ever listen. Track 2 has this incredibly infectious theme. Really the stuff I dig, sweeping and instantly memorable. I thought I was in for the ride of my life. An overlooked gem maybe.

Well not quite... too much uninteresting mickey-mousing and generic filler going on in between track 2 and the final cues. Too bad, because Folk writes true symphonic film music. Thomas made a suite and that's all I'm gonna need to be honest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    LAWNMOWER MAN 2 - Robert Folk

My first ever listen. Track 2 has this incredibly infectious theme.

Because it's a re-working of Jurassic Park. wink

DreamTheater wrote
    Really the stuff I dig, sweeping and instantly memorable. I thought I was in for the ride of my life. An overlooked gem maybe.

One of THE very best action scores ever written!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  12. You always forget that bit Erik... you know, those all important three letters: IMO. tongue