• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. MURDER IN THE FIRST - Christopher Young

There are scores that are always a joy to return to because they have such tremendous staying power and can get under my skin. This is one of them. love

But I have to program out those 2 period songs, who ever thought it would be a good idea to add on the album deserves to be put in prison. rolleyes
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. DreamTheater wrote
    You always forget that bit Erik... you know, those all important three letters: IMO. tongue

Since this board is all about opinions, what does it matter?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2016
    DreamTheater wrote
    MURDER IN THE FIRST - Christopher Young

There are scores that are always a joy to return to because they have such tremendous staying power and can get under my skin. This is one of them. love

But I have to program out those 2 period songs, who ever thought it would be a good idea to add on the album deserves to be put in prison. rolleyes

Great, great score. Add to this: CREATION (his best moment to date, imo), sweet november and the mesmerizing the tower, all similar and gorgeous scores.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TIMELINE - Jerry Goldsmith

Really good. I've not seen the film, I hear it's crap.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. It's one of the few Richard Donner films I've never been interested in seeing, but the score is worth it. I don't need the alternate version by you know who. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2016 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    You always forget that bit Erik... you know, those all important three letters: IMO. tongue

Since this board is all about opinions, what does it matter?

yeah

But what I said was a fact. FACT!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    It's one of the few Richard Donner films I've never been interested in seeing, but the score is worth it. I don't need the alternate version by you know who. smile

Goldsmith's score is one I can't listen to. Tyler's is far more listenable and features some of my favourite tracks of his.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JAMES HORNER - Mighty Joe Young

That solemn, beautiful main theme is one of his best.
  5. The above statement could very well be a fact IMHO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
  6. NP: War & Peace - Martin Phipps

Heavy with Russian choir vocals, this is quite an arresting listen. Although there's lots of these vocals, the use of synths gives it a very modern vibe. Definitely worth listening to again.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2016
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: War & Peace - Martin Phipps

It's streamed here, and the actual release, apparently, is tomorrow.
    I only know Phipps from his (excellent) work on The Virgin Queen, and this sounds like a keeper as well!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: War & Peace - Martin Phipps

It's streamed here, and the actual release, apparently, is tomorrow.
    I only know Phipps from his (excellent) work on The Virgin Queen, and this sounds like a keeper as well!

Also Brighton Rock, look it up. He's an outstanding orchestral composers, love his sound. eager for the new score too.
  7. The Portrait of a Lady - Wojciech Kilar

Gorgeous music, absolutely ravishing melodies...but it's static to such a degree that even 90s John Barry would probably consider it a bit slow. And the repetition here is a serious problem for me, both across the entire score and even within single cues. I do wish Kilar didn't repeat the same phrases over and over again quite so much. A lot of cues are literally the same thing played twice, identically. If you cut the fluff I wonder if there would be more than 15-20 minutes or so of music here...but they would be a pretty incredible 15 minutes, in fairness. "A Certain Light" is probably the best Barry love theme not written by Barry (and it would probably be pretty high up on the list of ones that are).
  8. That one gets the full 5 star award from me. Kilar is all about hynotic melodies and repetitivity (is that even a word dizzy ) and I love that.
  9. Oh, I totally understand why people would give this 5 stars (my suite of 15 minutes that I'm planning on making would definitely get that rating). But repetition has almost always made me itchy as a listener. I need variety and dynamics and narrative.
  10. I'm with Gilles. I adore Portrait of a Lady unabashedly, without qualification.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  11. On to Pan Tadeusz now. Man, playing the exact same thing twice in a row is some sort of Kilar trademark, isn't it? Both "Swiatynia Dumania" and "Bitwa" would sound exactly the same if they were half as long and I accidentally had the repeat button pressed! rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Edmund, stop it. You're getting as silly as Gilles.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin

Both of those are brilliant Kilar scores, I love them.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. Martijn wrote
    Edmund, stop it. You're getting as silly as Gilles.

Well, am I wrong? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Huntsman James Newton Howard

Another brilliant and classic JNH theme in a largely functional score. My favourite theme of 2016 thus far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    To avoid me having to trawl through the entire thing, where is this theme best represented?
  13. Someone should re-record a good JNH compilation. If well executed that could be a real treat.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  14. Martijn wrote
    To avoid me having to trawl through the entire thing, where is this theme best represented?

Either in the second half of "The Children Arrive" or the final cue, "Ravenna's Embrace".
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Cheers Edmund!
  15. beer
  16. Under Fire - Jerry Goldsmith

Great fun to be listening to the album release after several years with a compilation suite. And, side note, thank you, Tarantino, for introducing this score to millions of unsuspecting film viewers.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Under Fire - Jerry Goldsmith

Great fun to be listening to the album release after several years with a compilation suite. And, side note, thank you, Tarantino, for introducing this score to millions of unsuspecting film viewers.

I would love for the original score to be released for this. The film is darned decent too.