• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2016
    Martijn wrote
    To avoid me having to trawl through the entire thing, where is this theme best represented?

I'm working on a suite. And by that I mean I have the WAV files ready to be edited. But it's coming....soon.
  1. Gremlins 2 - Jerry Goldsmith

Certain elements of the human spirit can only be depicted through car horns and synths.
  2. And Moog created great synths ...
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. All hail Joe Dante for bringing the best out of Jerry, especially with both Gremlins scores. A huge chunk of my childhood, right there. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2016
    Nooooo hate Goldsmith synths sad
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2016
    JOHAN SODERQVIST - king of devils island

An underrated gem. Dark and solemn, very emotional and sentimental. One of his finest moments to dat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    WOJCIECH KILAR - Bram Stoker's Dracula

Sucker for Kilar's work in general, but this is his highest point, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote

Well, if you're gonna start with that you're a sucker for Kilar's Dracula, you KNOW. I'm going to come back with that it's a score to really get your teeth into.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Demetris wrote

Well, if you're gonna start with that you're a sucker for Kilar's Dracula, you KNOW. I'm going to come back with that it's a score to really get your teeth into.

biggrin Well-played sir, well-played!
  4. What if I were to say I think that score bites? Or...sucks even? If that's sacrilege...well, bite me. wink

nah, I like that score too. It's bloody good.
    *cape*
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2016 edited
    Demetris wrote

Kudos to FF Coppola who brought attention to this great composer to mainstream cinema releases, I'd never heard of Kilar and bought this score before the film had a UK release and I was totally blown away, I just had a "feeling" it would be good, back in those days where unless you saw it at the cinema you were unlikely to have heard it anywhere else.

Memories, memories, fangs for the memories.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JOHN WILLIAMS - War of the Worlds

Highly exceptional. Didn't like it at first, and it took a lot of time to digest (partly due to my disliking of the film itself) but when i did understand the score, along with MUNICH, and MINORITY REPORT, it quickly became one of my favorite modern Williams' scores. The cue "Ray And Rachel" is a beautiful highlight btw.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DARIO MARIANELLI - Beyond The Gates (Shooting Dogs)

Along with ATONEMENT, his best score to date.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    DARIO MARIANELLI - Beyond The Gates (Shooting Dogs)

Along with ATONEMENT, his best score to date.

What a great choice D. 'We Turned Our Backs', the last track on the album is IMO the most beautiful and moving piece of music written in the 00's, difficult for me to listen to without feeling teary.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yes, so emotional and heartfelt...he doesn't write as such anymore i think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And from ATONEMENT: elegy for Dunkirk, perhaps his best composition to date.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    And from ATONEMENT: elegy for Dunkirk, perhaps his best composition to date.

A killer track. Beautiful and incredibly moving.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote

A great film, this 'true' story obviously touched him, great composers need great inspriration, with luck they get a great assignment that inspires and pays the bills.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And the movie scene it accompanies...always brings me to tears. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_yhuhp880s
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

A great film, this 'true' story obviously touched him, great composers need great inspriration, with luck they get a great assignment that inspires and pays the bills.

True, true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Jeremy Soule

One of the best game scores of all time!
  5. OUTLANDER Volume 2 - Bear McCreary

I like this more than most of McCreary's stuff that I've heard.
  6. Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

Kudos to FF Coppola who brought attention to this great composer to mainstream cinema releases, I'd never heard of Kilar and bought this score before the film had a UK release and I was totally blown away, I just had a "feeling" it would be good, back in those days where unless you saw it at the cinema you were unlikely to have heard it anywhere else.

Memories, memories, fangs for the memories.

Somewhat similar experience, except Kilar was a complete unknown but the film was on my to watch list and I was instantly intruiged by this new kid on the block (well, not quite a kid then but you get me...), I remember sitting in the cinema and when that incredible prologue began and began to build to that fantastic climax, I knew this man's writing was unlike anything else out there. Can't remember anymore when I bought the score album, but my adoration of it has only increased (it started out as 4 stars, now its 5).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. Demetris wrote

Well then I have only this to say:

SUX-2-B-U

wink
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    Demetris wrote

Well then I have only this to say:

SUX-2-B-U

wink

He and Thor can go cry in a corner together.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    It's one of the few Richard Donner films I've never been interested in seeing, but the score is worth it. I don't need the alternate version by you know who. smile

Goldsmith's score is one I can't listen to. Tyler's is far more listenable and features some of my favourite tracks of his.

I agree. Tyler's score is awesome. I love his action scoring from that time. There are so many terrific pieces on there. I am not able to select a favourite.
    Kazoo
  9. "Through the Wormhole" is mine. Great buildup, and evidence that even back in 2003 Tyler had a knack for integrating electronic elements into largely orchestral music. There's some solid action scoring in Timeline as well ("Battle of La Roque"), but I feel as though it's still a bit unpolished and lacks the fluidity of his later action music (say from 2007 onwards).

I'm not really sure how anyone could see the Goldsmith score as being "unlistenable", though? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2016 edited
    As hard as this may for some to believe I actually owned Timeline for a while. At the beginning I even enjoyed it a bit. But as it became more and more generic with each listen I sold it... my only Brian Tyler score and I got rid of it. Haven't liked anything by him since.
  10. What if I told you it was possible for us to have a conversation about Tyler without you piping up about how much you hate him for the, oh, 3,720,107th time? rolleyes