• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Demetris wrote
    I don't think many people were bitching much pre-inception, pre-batman, pre-tron wink

Are you kidding? You don't remember a time when Pirates of the Caribbean was considered the nadir of film music and a harbinger of evil times to come?

Man, I miss those days! cry

No, but seriously, people have been bitching about "the current state of film music" ever since there was an Internet (and likely for a long time before that). It is nothing new and it generally has little to no relationship with the actual quality of the music that's being written.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2016
    Demetris wrote
    I don't know if it's as simple as that. Don't get me wrong, terrific scores do come out, but the overal nature of film scoring and general sound has changed drastically. That purely symphonic approach a la Don Davis, Goldenthal (man, Final Fantasy!), has almost vanished entirely.

... from Hollywood blockbusters. There... corrected your statement.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Edmund Meinerts wrote

kill love <-- death to rose-tinted spectacles

You're still young. As was I once, without need for those spectacles.

We'll talk again in 20 years time. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    I don't know if it's as simple as that. Don't get me wrong, terrific scores do come out, but the overal nature of film scoring and general sound has changed drastically. That purely symphonic approach a la Don Davis, Goldenthal (man, Final Fantasy!), has almost vanished entirely.

... from Hollywood blockbusters. There... corrected your statement.

-Erik-

Yes, indeed that is true. I stand corrected.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    I don't think many people were bitching much pre-inception, pre-batman, pre-tron wink

Are you kidding? You don't remember a time when Pirates of the Caribbean was considered the nadir of film music and a harbinger of evil times to come?

Man, I miss those days! cry

No, but seriously, people have been bitching about "the current state of film music" ever since there was an Internet (and likely for a long time before that). It is nothing new and it generally has little to no relationship with the actual quality of the music that's being written.

Potc was our problem back then? give me such 'problems' anyday now smile
  3. DEEP IMPACT - J. Horner

A gem I keep returning to often. If only for the emotional wallop that it gives me each time.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    DEEP IMPACT - J. Horner

A gem I keep returning to often. If only for the emotional wallop that it gives me each time.

As generally the case with a lot of Horner scores, esp. from that time.
  4. Yeah, but this one did it in an understated way, not Titanic-like.

He was a man of great talent, gone too soon. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    pff...titanic
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    pff...titanic

Wrong. RMS Titanic.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2016 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

No, he's being reasonable. There's probably a solid case that Hollywood trends have caused an overall decline in quality over the years, but rose-tinted spectacle disorder is about fetishising the past to the point that, even when a great score comes along pulls its pants down and sits on your face, you still don't recognise quality.
  5. Titanic is a magnificent score. Synths and Enyarisms included. Fantastic action scoring and musical story telling.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Captain Future wrote
    Titanic is a magnificent score. Synths and Enyarisms included. Fantastic action scoring and musical story telling.

Volker

Don't like it at all.
  6. Me neither. Not having a connection to the film probably doesn't help: I have managed to avoid the movie so far...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I have seen the movie, no connection however. The synths, the synth choir, can't stand that.
  7. Demetris wrote
    I have seen the movie, no connection however. The synths, the synth choir, can't stand that.

Yes, those synths sound rather grating.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yup! Some bits are 'Enya-lite' but the major orchestral parts are magnificent. Youse two got cloth ears!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    yeah

I don't understand how two fans of Horner could dislike the entire score. Despite the gay love music, this actually has some of Horner's most brutal action scoring. I suspect the synths colour your opinions on the rest of the score (although I'm sympathetic; those synths are not for everyone).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Dunno man, those synth farts ruin the whole thing for me.
  8. I'm not a big fan of that one either. In fact it's one of my least favorite Horner scores. It's either new-agey or full of that brutal action scoring you mentioned, which I like even less than the Enya stuff. Not my thing.

NP: CIVILIZATION: BEYOND EARTH: RISING TIDE: WE LOVE SUBTITLES - Knorr, Kirkhope, Cohen

There's a great album you can edit this down to. Just subtracting Cohen's cues would probably have put it in my top 10 from last year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote

Go listen to 'A Building Panic'. How can you, as a Horner fan, not appreciate that cue? dizzy
  9. Demetris wrote

Even the at least 45 minutes of it that have no synth farts whatsoever?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    Titanic is a magnificent score. Synths and Enyarisms included. Fantastic action scoring and musical story telling.

Volker

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

No, he's being reasonable. There's probably a solid case that Hollywood trends have caused an overall decline in quality over the years, but rose-tinted spectacle disorder is about fetishising the past to the point that, even when a great score comes along pulls its pants down and sits on your face, you still don't recognise quality.

I can recommend some rock bands that produce quality music, and that people will dismiss as crap. Same thing. I just don't care what they think anymore. And that's nothing to do with those glasses, just opinions and tastes.

Besides, most scores I've heard recently that you praise as being totally excellent, in my book just fall flat. Also nothing to do with those glasses, just a clear-cut fact.

This is of course all in my (most humble) opinion. tongue
  11. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Me neither. Not having a connection to the film probably doesn't help: I have managed to avoid the movie so far...

It's a GREAT film... as both a fictional love story and a detailing retelling of what happened that day.

But it's just an opinion, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

I can recommend some rock bands that produce quality music, and that people will dismiss as crap. Same thing. I just don't care what they think anymore. And that's nothing to do with those glasses, just opinions and tastes.

Besides, most scores I've heard recently that you praise as being totally excellent, in my book just fall flat. Also nothing to do with those glasses, just a clear-cut fact.

This is of course all in my (most humble) opinion. tongue

As ever, I rest my case.
  12. Well okay then... Nothing to see here folks... Move along ! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Looking at my collection, i just kept one single score from A.R.RAHMAN - Warriors Of Heaven And Earth, but relistening and revising now again after such a long time, i realize that i am not into this either. One of those composers i completely can't "get" i am afraid.
  13. NP: Star Trek: The City on the Edge of Forever - Fred Steiner

Rewatched this today - one of my favourite episodes - and decided to listen to some of the music from these old shows.
  14. NP: Star Trek: Charlie X - Fred Steiner

This Steiner score is so full of motifs and phrases that were used again and again throughout a number of episodes that a lot of this music became so familiar to me as a child.