• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2016
    ANNE DUDLEY - American History X

Symphonic and sublime
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. NP: Star Trek: The Corbomite Maneuver - Fred Steiner

Some more memorable thematic material that frequently found a place in many episodes.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. NP: Star Trek: What Are Little Girls Made Of? - Fred Steiner

Going through all the episodes, Steiner's music seems to be the ones I am going back to...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2016 edited
    Taking a quick break from Star Trek.

NP: The Streets of San Francisco - Patrick Williams

Just the theme, but what a great theme it is!

https://youtu.be/TI4doul8mWQ

This is quite a good version too - https://youtu.be/8-ikFUNFh0U

And the same group have a go at Barry Gray's UFO theme: https://youtu.be/O1FIk9GrXfk
  3. NP: Star Trek: Who Mourns For Adonis? - Fred Steiner

Whenever (what turns out to be) Apollo's theme made an appearance on the show, it was always good to hear. (That's my memory of the show anyway; that it appeared in several of the episodes.)

As I said before, one of the things I liked about Star Trek was that there was a lot of tracking of music in the episodes - most of it catchy motifs - that became very familiar by the end of its run (and repeats).
  4. NP: Star Trek: Amok Time - Gerald Fried

Ending this mini-marathon of Star Trek scores with, probably my favourite one. Excellent TV scoring.
  5. Demetris wrote
    ANNE DUDLEY - American History X

Symphonic and sublime

And elegaic and gut-wrenching masterpiece. love
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. Demetris wrote
    Looking at my collection, i just kept one single score from A.R.RAHMAN - Warriors Of Heaven And Earth, but relistening and revising now again after such a long time, i realize that i am not into this either. One of those composers i completely can't "get" i am afraid.

Have you heard his Muhammad: The Messenger of God from last year? It's pretty immense and impressive. Although it does have a lot of that cod-world-film-music thing going on that was so ubiquitous in the early 2000s, so that could be a turnoff...but there's some huge writing in there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2016
    No, will check it out, thanks a lot! D
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2016 edited
    ROSEMARY'S BABY - Antoni Lazarkiewicz

Stunning score. Organic, chilling and mesmerizing. The gorgeous chorals (a la Arvo Part, David Lang etc) are the highlight ('you are a shadow' 'a beacon in the night' 'conception' 'father tekem', all brilliant!). Has the composer done anything else which is as notable? thanks
  7. I've never heard of him.
  8. Just played: Road House by Michael Kamen...which is by-god dreadful! biggrin

The only things going for it are a cod-western-americana main theme and some stop-start action music towards the end that is ridiculously obvious leftovers from his Die Hard score the previous year ("Dalton and Reno Fight", 1:14, that's Hans Gruber falling off the building right there). But at least it's orchestral.

The rest of the score is filled with aimless bluesy guitar licks over synth string pads that never coalesce into anything remotely melodic or evocative. Oh, and an eight-minute country-rock instrumental for one action sequence, "Loading Dock Fight". EIGHT MINUTES!

I wish I could even say that this was as gloriously so-bad-it's-good as the film it accompanies - alas, no. The main theme is faintly cheesy, and therefore inappropriate for the film...a theme for Road House should definitely be more than just "faintly" cheesy.

Kamen was a wonderful composer, but he was very evidently not infallible. tongue
  9. Wait, are you sure? Aren't scores from that period by definition superior? You say it's bad???

Because some idiot member here said time and time again that everything was much better then. rolleyes

I'll give that guy a good ass-whooping for saying something so utterly false and misleading.

DT raises his fist and gets ready to punch himself. OUCH !!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  10. NP: Alaskan Bush People - Bleeding Fingers

The Bleeding Fingers "Custom Music Shop" is apparently a co-venture between Hans Zimmer, Steve Kofsky and the production arm of Sony/ATV Music Punlishing and they write music for reality TV shows.

Alaskan Bush People has a feel like a land version of Pirates of the Caribbean and features folksy orchestrations, electric guitars, pounding percussion and whistling. It's very trailer music in sound, and as such, it's rather catchy and very listenable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2016
    Gods of Egypt Marco Beltrami

If you think a score had topped this in 2016, I want to know about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Tale of a Lake!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Tale of a Lake!

-Erik-

Not heard it but will be listening to it later today.

Gods of Egypt FTW......so far.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2016 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Tale of a Lake!

-Erik-

You need to listen to my show more often! wink

http://www.cinematicsound.net/cinematic … t-episode/

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Tale of a Lake!

-Erik-

You need to listen to my show more often! wink

http://www.cinematicsound.net/cinematic … t-episode/

-Erik-

FACT!

I have missed the odd one or two shame
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. TALE OF A LAKE is great. It's going to be one of my favorites at the end of the year for sure. I'm curious to hear GODS OF EGYPT, but haven't taken the time to listen to it yet, since I typically don't find much in Beltrami's music to connect with. I guess it's just me, since so many others enjoy his music so consistently, but he's one of those that I just don't enjoy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    christopher wrote
    TALE OF A LAKE is great. It's going to be one of my favorites at the end of the year for sure. I'm curious to hear GODS OF EGYPT, but haven't taken the time to listen to it yet, since I typically don't find much in Beltrami's music to connect with. I guess it's just me, since so many others enjoy his music so consistently, but he's one of those that I just don't enjoy.

Just in case you want to hear it now... here you go!

If Tale of a Lake is my 1a, Gods of Egypt is my 1b.

-Erik-
  12. I'm listening to the not quite easy to digest OBSESSION - Bernard Herrmann but nevertheless intriguing score from a man with that distinct symphonic voice. As it's a very mood-heavy score, with a wonderful new recording, it was well worth the purchase, because when I put music on I like sometimes to be whisked away by a certain sound or mood, instead of having the full onslaught of bombast and fanfares and grand thematic statements I've known for decades.

20 years ago this would never have appealed to me, that much is certain. The current me is happy that I gave it a chance. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Phenomenal score. Brilliant new recording!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: THE JUDGE - Thomas Newman

This is the sort of music Newman could write on his way to an urgent doctor's appointment but it's very lovely nonetheless. He has such a beautiful 'effortless' style.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TALE OF A LAKE - Panu Aaltio

This certainly is a lovely score, I enjoyed this beginning to end, very classical in style. I'll need to listen to it again ( hell, I WANT to listen to it again ) but I may end up agreeing with Erik that this is the best of 2016 so far.
  13. LSH wrote

This is the sort of music Newman could write on his way to an urgent doctor's appointment but it's very lovely nonetheless. He has such a beautiful 'effortless' style.

Indeed. And it is a style I enjoy immensely, so even when it's not the most wonderful version of that style, I still enjoy THE JUDGE quite a bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    Erik Woods wrote
    christopher wrote
    TALE OF A LAKE is great. It's going to be one of my favorites at the end of the year for sure. I'm curious to hear GODS OF EGYPT, but haven't taken the time to listen to it yet, since I typically don't find much in Beltrami's music to connect with. I guess it's just me, since so many others enjoy his music so consistently, but he's one of those that I just don't enjoy.

Just in case you want to hear it now... here you go!

If Tale of a Lake is my 1a, Gods of Egypt is my 1b.

-Erik-

Thanks! Listening now. Looking at the playlist, this is certainly a show I shouldn't have missed.

Edit: Wow! This is by far the best thing I've ever heard from Beltrami.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    christopher wrote
    LSH wrote

Indeed. And it is a style I enjoy immensely, so even when it's not the most wonderful version of that style, I still enjoy THE JUDGE quite a bit.

He's so good at the more 'underscore-y' cues, scenes with dialogue, etc. Music that is gentle and understated but still very interesting and purposeful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2016
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Tale of a Lake!

-Erik-

Good but doesn't really top Gods of Egypt, imo smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2016 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : TALE OF A LAKE - Panu Aaltio

This certainly is a lovely score, I enjoyed this beginning to end, very classical in style. I'll need to listen to it again ( hell, I WANT to listen to it again ) but I may end up agreeing with Erik that this is the best of 2016 so far.

Like it a lot. But nothing tops his magnificent The Home of Dark Butterflies (Music by Panu Aaltio) score so far.