• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2016 edited
    LSH wrote
    christopher wrote
    LSH wrote
    NP: THE JUDGE - Thomas Newman

This is the sort of music Newman could write on his way to an urgent doctor's appointment but it's very lovely nonetheless. He has such a beautiful 'effortless' style.

Indeed. And it is a style I enjoy immensely, so even when it's not the most wonderful version of that style, I still enjoy THE JUDGE quite a bit.

He's so good at the more 'underscore-y' cues, scenes with dialogue, etc. Music that is gentle and understated but still very interesting and purposeful.

Is the movie any worth it? i remember it not having particularly good reviews.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Critics did not like it. I didn't see it, so I can't say.
  2. NP: The Eagle Has Landed (1976) - Lalo Schifrin

I was totally unaware of the film and hence of its score until quite recently. That is despite of the film's star cast and star director (John Sturges). I'm not into military scores generally and I am not the biggest fan of Schifrin. Kudos and respect towards the man but his jazzy music in usually not my cup of tea.
    When I caught the film on TV I was immediately hooked by the score. I was astonished, that a) there was a CD release and b) is was available. Well, it turned out, it took amazon.de three month to actually dig it up. But what I am now listening to has been worth the wait.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2016
    It's a fine score and the film is very entertaining with Michael Caine as a decent Nazi, often shown on UK tv.

As for his jazz scoring, there really aren't many composers who can hold a candle to Schifrin, the man has proper jazz chops.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2016
    NP : BRIDGE OF SPIES - Thomas Newman

Not bad.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. T2 - Brad Fiedel

Oh yes baby... Noisy for some, ballsy for others. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2016
    NP: The Neon Demon - Cliff Martinez

I hate it when people call film scores GROOVY but this was certainly is. It also feels rather dirty and raunchy. Music that would be heard in the darkest, strangest night clubs you can find. There is also an airy quality to the music, which is rather magical, sparkly and dreamlike!

Anyway, I really dig this album. I have NO idea how this works as a film score but the 70 minute album is an electronica, atmospheric, out of this world delight!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I think Thor will like it. I hated it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. yeah
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Black Mass - Tom Holkenborg

Really love this one with its probing dark motifs. The elegaic theme that rises to the fore in the last couple of cues is brilliant.
    Overall it has the feel of early Howard Shore in the way it addresses the underlying psychological states of the characters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote

Oh, Thor considers it the best score of the year. I'm not that insane but I do like the album a lot! It's a wonderful electronic textured score, which reminds me in parts of Blade Runner and 80's John Carpenter's scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES

This is fine for what it is, but it'll never reach legendary status. It maintains a bit too much a monotonous sound without ever evolving into something approaching the earlier two Hobbits. It actually has themes, but never outspoken or memorable like the other trilogy. I would've liked a more spectacular and vibrant finale from Shore, but it's not like this is horrible music that doesn't deserve to be played.

And you know what track for me is the best of the entire bunch? It's the Billy Boyd song. Yes it's absolutely lovely !!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Brilliant score by one of the greatest composers ever.

It's available on Spotify, do yourself a favour.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2016 edited
    X-Men 19: This Time It's Really Really Personal John Ottman

It's not bad, but it's difficult to get excited about. A few above-average moments in the action and choral writing, but it's padded out with a lot of fluff (serious and somber though it is). I can imagine this working just fine in the film, but it's not something that will feature on any 2016 lists... unless we have a very poor year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2016
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

Oh, Thor considers it the best score of the year. I'm not that insane but I do like the album a lot! It's a wonderful electronic textured score, which reminds me in parts of Blade Runner and 80's John Carpenter's scores.

-Erik-

Totally agree!

I've been playing it non-stop since I saw the film a couple of days ago, and then discovered that I had access to a promo. It's so sublime, it's ridiculous -- a score EXACTLY to my taste, like a tailored suit. It's absolutely pure bliss -- and the film is equally stunning, probably Refn's first proper masterpiece (as much as I like DRIVE).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE ROCKETEER (James Horner)

Sitting alone in the apartment in the Cannes suburbs, waiting for my colleagues to come home after a massive day of reprise screening (it's the last day of the festival). It's past midnight, I've had a few glasses of white wine and beer, and I was in need of some good, ol'fashioned rollicking!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. EVERYBODY'S GONE TO THE RAPTURE - Jessica Curry

I've enjoyed this the last two times I listened to it, but today for some reason this score was wonderful to me. It's so serene and ethereal, and loaded with that religious sound. It was just what I wanted to hear today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote
    EVERYBODY'S GONE TO THE RAPTURE - Jessica Curry

I've enjoyed this the last two times I listened to it, but today for some reason this score was wonderful to me. It's so serene and ethereal, and loaded with that religious sound. It was just what I wanted to hear today.

It's drop-dead gorgeous -- another of my favourites this year.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Troy (rejected) - Gabriel Yared

Speaking of old-fashioned rollicking. This is the first time I've given the entire release my attention.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2016 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

I hate it when people call film scores GROOVY but this was certainly is. It also feels rather dirty and raunchy. Music that would be heard in the darkest, strangest night clubs you can find. There is also an airy quality to the music, which is rather magical, sparkly and dreamlike!

Anyway, I really dig this album. I have NO idea how this works as a film score but the 70 minute album is an electronica, atmospheric, out of this world delight!

-Erik-

Very much looking forward to this one, if it is anything like Drive or Solaris means I will most likely like it. This sounds more "active" and with a house-moroder vibe with more beats than those scores. Is this https://soundcloud.com/milanrecords/01- … neon-demon among the best tracks?

Curious, hopefully there is more to it (and better or at least as good) than that. I like it and it makes me curious what the rest is like. I think I hear a tiny Twin Peaks vibe in there too.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Game - Daniel Pemberton

After The Man From UNCLE and Dirk Gently this is the best thing he's done I think. Great, catchy theme and a host of creative variations make it a superb album overall - almost perfect if you take out about 10 or 15 mins of the least interesting material.
  8. J. Flaherty wrote
    Troy (rejected) - Gabriel Yared

Speaking of old-fashioned rollicking. This is the first time I've given the entire release my attention.

It's fantastic ! Horner's is good, but this is simply in a whole other league. I hope the powers that be release this one day, at least long before the man that wrote it passes away.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Washu wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Very much looking forward to this one, if it is anything like Drive or Solaris means I will most likely like it. This sounds more "active" and with a house-moroder vibe with more beats than those scores. Is this https://soundcloud.com/milanrecords/01- … neon-demon among the best tracks?

Curious, hopefully there is more to it (and better or at least as good) than that. I like it and it makes me curious what the rest is like. I think I hear a tiny Twin Peaks vibe in there too.

You hear TWIN PEAKS because Refn is very much inspired by Lynch in several aspects.

The track you link to is the opening track, and it's one of the best, yes. But my favourite is "The Demon Dance" -- pure dark disco.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. That opening track is fantastic. Right up my alley.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    That opening track is fantastic. Right up my alley.

I think you'll like the whole thing. Especially "The Demon Dance" (couldn't find a sound clip online, unfortunately).
    I am extremely serious.
  10. NP: Transformers (2007) - Steve Jablonsky

A great action score on the easy listening side of things. Actually the score is what I like best about the film.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I love that score. It's the 00s version of The Rock.
  11. I listened to 'Dark of the Moon' while watching the film at high volume. It was serviceable, but compared to this one the first Transformers is a masterpiece. Sadly the scores have become worse with each film.

Currently: THE PEACEMAKER - Zimmer

Another action masterpiece in my book. beer
  12. NP: The Mission (1986) - Ennio Morricone

This is one of the scores that won me over for film music. What a magnificent score! The choral writing is on eye level with Gustav Mahler or any classical composer you care to name. The mixture of European clerical and native styling blends without ever being cliché. So emotional.

The light shineth through this music and the darkness comprehended it not.

Volker
  13. DreamTheater wrote
    I listened to 'Dark of the Moon' while watching the film at high volume. It was serviceable, but compared to this one the first Transformers is a masterpiece. Sadly the scores have become worse with each film.

Currently: THE PEACEMAKER - Zimmer

Another action masterpiece in my book. beer

Which album? The original (and their first!) Dreamworks or La-La-Land?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website