• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The original. Don't think I ever gave the later one a listen. Maybe I should, since my appreciation of The Peacemaker has only increased since 1997. As with Broken Arrow though, I think I might just prefer the original release, just because Zimmer pushed all the right buttons in assembling it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2016
    Capricorn One Jerry Goldsmith

If I want to play this on speakers, I tend to go for the original album (and by that I mean the rerecording). If I want to listen to it on headphones, I prefer the original score. Both are worth having.
  2. I've been bouncing between those releases and weighing the differences for the last few weeks.

Acknowledging the merits of both, I may prefer the original film score recording. The cue sequence of the film album establishes and maintains suspense incredibly well, and you lose that in the re-recording. Plus, to my ears, the clanging bells, the percussion, and the way silence unpredictably falls over the orchestra and then is snatched away -- these elements sound more threatening, more visceral on the film recording.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2016
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    I think Thor will like it. I hated it.

Oh, Thor considers it the best score of the year. I'm not that insane but I do like the album a lot! It's a wonderful electronic textured score, which reminds me in parts of Blade Runner and 80's John Carpenter's scores.

-Erik-

I was sure he'd adore it smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Washu wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Neon Demon - Cliff Martinez

I hate it when people call film scores GROOVY but this was certainly is. It also feels rather dirty and raunchy. Music that would be heard in the darkest, strangest night clubs you can find. There is also an airy quality to the music, which is rather magical, sparkly and dreamlike!

Anyway, I really dig this album. I have NO idea how this works as a film score but the 70 minute album is an electronica, atmospheric, out of this world delight!

-Erik-

Very much looking forward to this one, if it is anything like Drive or Solaris means I will most likely like it. This sounds more "active" and with a house-moroder vibe with more beats than those scores. Is this https://soundcloud.com/milanrecords/01- … neon-demon among the best tracks?

Curious, hopefully there is more to it (and better or at least as good) than that. I like it and it makes me curious what the rest is like. I think I hear a tiny Twin Peaks vibe in there too.

You hear TWIN PEAKS because Refn is very much inspired by Lynch in several aspects.

The track you link to is the opening track, and it's one of the best, yes. But my favourite is "The Demon Dance" -- pure dark disco.

Nothing to do with his magnificent SOLARIS though. This is completely different here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote
    Black Mass - Tom Holkenborg

Really love this one with its probing dark motifs. The elegaic theme that rises to the fore in the last couple of cues is brilliant.
    Overall it has the feel of early Howard Shore in the way it addresses the underlying psychological states of the characters.

Loved the film and the mesmerizing score. Mr. Junkie XL, more of this stuff, less of the noise please wink
  3. Troy (rejected)

Again. Excellent work here, including an end credits song that -- *gasp* -- is good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Adventures of Tintin John Williams

Is the sequel still being made? Will anyone care by then? If Williams is scoring it, I certainly will. (I hope BFG is as good as this.)
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    The original. Don't think I ever gave the later one a listen. Maybe I should, since my appreciation of The Peacemaker has only increased since 1997. As with Broken Arrow though, I think I might just prefer the original release, just because Zimmer pushed all the right buttons in assembling it.

I have to say that back in the day, when I discovered the bootleg, I stopped listening to the original Dreamworks release altogether, which makes me very happy that I grabbed a review copy of the La-La Land release (it also helps, as usually I'm not replacing CDs if I have one, I can't play the original anymore, so I tossed it and left the booklet, which lists all the 120+-piece orchestra members).

I think Peacemaker is actually one of the worst compilations, as it features mostly the action music, the other stuff is simply thrown into (a decently edited, though) one track with the concept suite at the end for good measure.

And Peacemaker is one of Hans' best scores on a structural level. And the more well-rounded dramatic tracks (including some more vocal stuff than on the album) are quite exquisite at times.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Really? Well I'll have to give this a sampling then. Thanks. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    Thor wrote

You hear TWIN PEAKS because Refn is very much inspired by Lynch in several aspects.

The track you link to is the opening track, and it's one of the best, yes. But my favourite is "The Demon Dance" -- pure dark disco.

Looking forward hearing the full thing!
  6. Looking forward to hearing more Twin Peaks music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2016
    So are we all! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    Really? Well I'll have to give this a sampling then. Thanks. wink

Not sure how well you remember the film, but there is a great cue before the big helicopter shootout, scoring the final "preparations" for the confrontation, it features probably some of the best emotional and anthemic material from the score (the victory/Devoe theme leads to the Sarajevo theme and one of the action themes in a more lush than anywhere else fashion). A faux-heroic motif (more like a determined French horn melody) is totally missing from the original album (one thing I hate, that applies for any composer, is when a score album actually omits recurring *themes*. Same thing happen with First Knight).

Sometimes I wonder how the album compilation is decided. For example, while he might not be a fan of the full score in this case (though a chronological program helps The Peacemaker more than any Hans Zimmer score, really, perhaps with the exception of Thelma and Louise and, maybe, Rain Man), The Peacemaker features some more dramatic material people would love - I don't think Thor would mind having the aforementioned "I Must Go" (sorry for the bootleg title here) cue, on the contrary. Another notable omission (though understandable in a regular album release) is the lush string arrangement of a Chopin piece from earlier in the film. The full helicopter action sequence is a bit more well-rounded than the cut program (a missing theme statement speaks for itself, even if some of the harsher action didn't age TOO well).

On a sidenote, The Peacemaker in its complete form shows how much the score foreshadows and is basically a prelude to his epic work on Prince of Egypt and Gladiator, full with the Holstian influences. All in all however, except a rather intricate structure, quite well noticed in, gasp, Clemmensen's review of the complete score, and probably a potential revelation for people who haven't heard the boot when it was around, due to the structure of the piece.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2016 edited
    NP: NUIT BLANCHE (Nicolas Errera)

A 2011 score that came and went without much notice, but which is actually a very good synth score -- with ravaging beats and modulations.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SHAOLIN (Nicolas Errera)

Has some nice Oriental flavours (erhu?), but fairly straightforward. Giving this a couple of more spins before I decide if it's worth having in my too-large iTunes collection.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Titan A.E - Graeme Revell

A superb animated score. Easily one of the best things he's ever done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2016 edited
    Lincoln John Williams

My favourite of his Americana-type scores (unless you count American Journey). Doesn't have the show-stopping concert themes of Saving Private Ryan or Amistad, and certainly not the action of The Patriot. But on the whole, it's a far more satisfying score than any of those. I even like the folk music. It's a fine album.

Still, I'm not sure I want to hear another one of these scores from Williams. That's why the IMDb line up is looking particularly hopeful.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2016
    Thirst - Cho Young-Wuk

Sensational score for Chan Wook Park's stylish vampire film. Haven't heard it in ages and it's even better than I remembered. 'Sang-hyun's Prayer' is just a glorious piece of music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    David OC wrote
    Thirst - Cho Young-Wuk

Sensational score for Chan Wook Park's stylish vampire film. Haven't heard it in ages and it's even better than I remembered. 'Sang-hyun's Prayer' is just a glorious piece of music.

I saw his latest film, THE HANDMAIDEN, in Cannes, and it was really, really good. Yeong-wook Jo's score too -- despite the ubiquitous Philipp Glass influence.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. KING SOLOMON'S MINES - J.G.

As always, HEAPS of rollicking fun.

Now here's an example of a bad film so immensely improved by its score that it becomes a most entertaining film. A shameless Indiana Jones knock-off, yet so very enjoyable. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The film is cheese with knobs on. I find it so bad it's bad, not good.

The score has some great moments. I love the interpolation of Wagner's Ride of The Valkyries in one of the action tracks.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. The sequel (Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold), now that one's awfully bad. It re-used Jerry's score from the first film, but made it worse. Compared to that one King Solomon's Mines is bonafide masterpiece. I reckon KSM has quite a bit of charm.

The Ride of the Valkyries appears whenever Herbert Lom is on screen. Jerry sure made it work.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Thor wrote
    David OC wrote
    Thirst - Cho Young-Wuk

I saw his latest film, THE HANDMAIDEN, in Cannes, and it was really, really good. Yeong-wook Jo's score too -- despite the ubiquitous Philipp Glass influence.

Nice one Thor, very excited to see it! The trailer alone looked as visually stunning as all of Park's previous work.

Cujo - Charles Bernstein

Not quite in the same league as his Elm St or Entity scores but it's still superior of its type.
  10. NP: Spacehunter: Adventures in the post-Star-Wars Zone (1983) - Elmer Bernstein

Science Fiction scores always formed the core of my collection. So I am glad to to finally add Bernstein's take on the genre. A delightful listen.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  11. X-Men: Apocalypse - John Ottman and probably some other uncredited guys

Well, it starts out reasonably enough in the opening three tracks with some enjoyably overblown choral nonsense, but has taken a turn for the dull ever since. And what the heck is up with the Shawshank Redemption rip in "Eric's Rebirth" at 2:15? Now there's a score I never thought I'd hear temped in a superhero movie! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2016 edited
    Yes, I noticed that too. Maybe Morgan Freeman does some voice-over in the film, to help the audience understand what the fuck is happening. (Although I don't even think Morgan Freeman could help at this point.)
  12. David OC wrote
    Thirst - Cho Young-Wuk

Such a bizarre, unforgettable film. I should go find the music and give it a try.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    And what the heck is up with the Shawshank Redemption rip in "Eric's Rebirth" at 2:15? Now there's a score I never thought I'd hear temped in a superhero movie! dizzy

It's Ottman. Comes with the territory!

And what makes it even more bizzare is that when he works with Singer he temps his own edit. Aaaaaaaaaand then, proceeded to follow the temp.

dizzy

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorRico
    Thor wrote

I'm really, really jealous cheesy

I love Park Chan-wook films, so I really can't wait to see this. I didn't realise Jo Yeong-wook scored it, so that's something else to look forward to.