• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Young Sherlock Holmes - Bruce Broughton

It ain't Jerry, but it is good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2016
    Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    And what the heck is up with the Shawshank Redemption rip in "Eric's Rebirth" at 2:15? Now there's a score I never thought I'd hear temped in a superhero movie! dizzy

It's Ottman. Comes with the territory!

And what makes it even more bizzare is that when he works with Singer he temps his own edit. Aaaaaaaaaand then, proceeded to follow the temp.

dizzy

-Erik-

Ottman: a (perhaps slightly) better and (certainly more) expensive alternative to auto-generated computer music wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2016 edited
    Thor wrote
    ALICE IN WONDERLAND is one of the best Elfman scores in the last 10 years, IMO. So you can imagine I'm looking forward to the sequel score.

That being said, I've long since grown weary of his "bigger" blockbuster scores. These days, my main attraction to him is the smaller, indie films where gets to explore softer textures, often inspired by the minimalist stylings that his "Sereneda Schizophrana" ushered in.

I am (pretty) sure you will like it more than me then! I still need more listens before I can tell for sure but right now it is in the good but not great category. I prefer the first one by a significant distance. I don't love the first though, but I do think it is one of his best scores this century, I love Alice's Theme though. Still, nice to hear Alice's Theme used so often throughout the score.

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit - Naoki Sato

Not a major Sato score, but still a nice one even if it drags in the middle with not much of interest happening and is a bit generic. Clearly a RCP-type score but channeled through his own voice and sensibilities. Even if this isn't one of his best, it is still better and feels fresher than most RCP scores and it's also one of the better scores I have heard so far this year - it makes my top 20.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    28 Weeks Later - John Murphy

This composer's finest hour, no doubt. I'm cutting about 6 or 7 extraneous cues out on my ipod but the rest is mostly first-rate with great electronic and rock guitar elements.
  2. David OC wrote

This composer's finest hour, no doubt.

I think so too. It's been a while since I played this. Should revisit.
  3. MEDAL OF HONOR - Mike Giacchino

The start of something magnificent. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. ^That score has become obscenely expensive. Here's hope for a re-release by one of the speciality labels.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    ^That score has become obscenely expensive. Here's hope for a re-release by one of the speciality labels.

Jesus! Over $300 USED?!?!?!?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. NP: Babel (2007) - Gustavo Santaolalla

The 17 minutes FYC album.
    This is nice, meditative music that carries well over this short duration.

I don't see though how this could win the Academy Award over "Pan's Labyrinth".

Volker
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    ^That score has become obscenely expensive. Here's hope for a re-release by one of the speciality labels.

Jesus! Over $300 USED?!?!?!?

-Erik-

Are you effing kidding me???? It's superb music, but it's not worth that much... shocked

Glad I got a copy of each MOH when it came out. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. NP: Pan's Labyrinth (2006) - Javier Navarrete

Melodious, lyrical, melancholic. Wonderful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: MY BEST FRIEND'S WEDDING - James Newton Howard

The promo. If you don't pay enough attention, this is just typical 90's rom-com fair but there's something a great deal more to this than most. Lush and really quite touching. Love it. And, at just 30mins, it does everything it wants to say without getting boring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: COSMOS: A SPACETIME ODYSSEY (Alan Silvestri)

It's about a gazilion minutes too long, but there's a smokin' good 70-minute album waiting somewhere inbetween this 3CD set.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote

It's about a gazilion minutes too long, but there's a smokin' good 70-minute album waiting somewhere inbetween this 3CD set.

In this case I agree.
    I'm currently watching the series. (Recommended!) Silvestri's music works great in context.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's a good show, but I can't really stand Neil Degrasse-Tyson's persona. If you've seen some of his other shows (like that talk show thing...STAR TALK?), he seems incredibly self-absorbed.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Thor wrote

There's a 4th CD right? But I understand you forgot it exists, because it offers nothing worth having.

I liked the show too, told in layman's terms, and the visuals were great. Oh how little specks of dust we all are. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    It's a good show, but I can't really stand Neil Degrasse-Tyson's persona. If you've seen some of his other shows (like that talk show thing...STAR TALK?), he seems incredibly self-absorbed.

Crikey. We agree. One of the most overrated public scientists. People admire him as though he's this wise sage, but he's not. When on panels with other scientists (most of which are far above his level), he resorts to, in many cases, simply raising his voice and flailing his arms about to get attention. He also enjoys being a pedant, which just comes off as dickish. As a dick myself, I can see through his 'smart scientist man' facade. I can't stand him. He's an oaf.

He ain't no Sagan, that's for sure.
  9. Steven wrote
    As a dick myself, ...

lol lol lol

Steven you've masterfully outdone yourself. biggrin

Are you here all night?
  10. I like Degrasse-Tyson hosting the show. It's the only thing I know by him. He emulates that Carl-Sagan-Sense-of-Wonder feel perfectly. I love that. I hate those "The cosmos is dangerous and we are all gonna die" type of astronomy show. The show was produced by Brannon Braga and it does have a bit of a Star Trek feel about it. So it works for me.
    Also I am not competed to decide who is the better astronomer. When it comes to sympathy - I can't stand Steven Hawking. Which isn't of any significance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    I like Degrasse-Tyson hosting the show. It's the only thing I know by him. He emulates that Carl-Sagan-Sense-of-Wonder feel perfectly. I love that.

He's nothing on Sagan. Watch this to see where I'm coming from. A monumental twit.

I hate those "The cosmos is dangerous and we are all gonna die" type of astronomy show.

Are there many shows like that? uhm I think most astronomy/cosmology shows display a great reverence for the universe. That's why physicists are physicists. But then I don't watch many American documentaries, because they're generally rubbish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Still, the cosmos is dangerous and we are all going to die. Deal with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I much prefer Brian Cox, although he -- too -- sometimes comes off as rather "aloof".
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Steven wrote
    Still, the cosmos is dangerous and we are all going to die. Deal with it.

Yup. Well, things seem to have shifted again. Back in the 00s or late 90s there were shows of that kind. I remember one of these was hosted by Sam Neill. Another one was a German production.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    J. Flaherty wrote
    David OC wrote

This composer's finest hour, no doubt.

I think so too. It's been a while since I played this. Should revisit.

The whole 28 sequence of scores is fantastic. Also don't forget SUNSHINE too, his finest hour imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

There's a 4th CD right? But I understand you forgot it exists, because it offers nothing worth having.

I liked the show too, told in layman's terms, and the visuals were great. Oh how little specks of dust we all are. smile

Total snoozefest, the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm inclined to agree. It's Contact without the heart and soul (and memorable themes).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Danny Elfman - Alice through the looking glass

Nice! Clean and tidy recording and crisp mixing. The theme from the first, which is lovely and infectiously melodic anyway, gets more work and renditions. The choral work is amazing too. Much much better than the borefest that was goosebumbs (was it supposed to give the listener the exact opposite of the title anyway? wink How come Tim Burton isn't directing btw? And who's this guy doing the directing on this one? thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    I'm inclined to agree. It's Contact without the heart and soul (and memorable themes).

A.k.a a bored ex-golden composer on autopilot paying the cheques which is of course completely understandable wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Danny Elfman - Alice through the looking glass

Nice! Clean and tidy recording and crisp mixing. The theme from the first, which is lovely and infectiously melodic anyway, gets more work and renditions. The choral work is amazing too. Much much better than the borefest that was goosebumbs (was it supposed to give the listener the exact opposite of the title anyway? wink How come Tim Burton isn't directing btw? And who's this guy doing the directing on this one? thanks

Some asshole.

Also, it's another competent, quirky Elfman score - but I can all but guarantee I won't listen to it again (I didn't even get that far into the album truth be told). There's nothing new on offer. He's done this sort of thing countless times. The theme's great, but the rest is... I hate to say it... auto-pilot.

I loved his Avengers score because he was forced to write something more conventional. Usually this is the worst thing for a composer, but Elfman writes incredible conventional music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote

A.k.a a bored ex-golden composer on autopilot paying the cheques which is of course completely understandable wink

I think he's more invested in his wine these days. I know I would be at that age with all that success behind me. In fact, I'm already there. (Minus the age and the success.)

beer