• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2016
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Danny Elfman - Alice through the looking glass

Nice! Clean and tidy recording and crisp mixing. The theme from the first, which is lovely and infectiously melodic anyway, gets more work and renditions. The choral work is amazing too. Much much better than the borefest that was goosebumbs (was it supposed to give the listener the exact opposite of the title anyway? wink How come Tim Burton isn't directing btw? And who's this guy doing the directing on this one? thanks

Some asshole.

Also, it's another competent, quirky Elfman score - but I can all but guarantee I won't listen to it again (I didn't even get that far into the album truth be told). There's nothing new on offer. He's done this sort of thing countless times. The theme's great, but the rest is... I hate to say it... auto-pilot.

I loved his Avengers score because he was forced to write something more conventional. Usually this is the worst thing for a composer, but Elfman writes incredible conventional music.

Well yes, there's always the standard irritating quirky Elfman underscore a la wacky mickey mousing in this kind of scores. You can always toss those pieces smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote
    I'm inclined to agree. It's Contact without the heart and soul (and memorable themes).

A.k.a a bored ex-golden composer on autopilot paying the cheques which is of course completely understandable wink

I think he's more invested in his wine these days. I know I would be at that age with all that success behind me. In fact, I'm already there. (Minus the age and the success.)

beer

I understand that too. Wine, your own wine, your own vineyard, good old cheese, nature, sun, resting. I'd do that too but i am worse than you, i am more in the later age field and no success yet heheh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2016 edited
    No, I think you're way too harsh here. If you could boil COSMOS down to some 70 minutes (instead of the 543 minutes it has now, with lots of filler material) with both the best electronic and orchestral material, and a good dramatic structure, it's actually a strong score. Certainly underrated, and -- I think -- suffering from a too massive release.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The release doesn't help - there's definitely a lot of strong music there. I quite enjoyed watching the show as a spectacle but American documentary series like that are certainly a long way from their European equivalents.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Poltergeist - Jezza

Spectacular!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Was reminded on the best of 2016 topic, of a magnificent score i haven't played for long time:

MICHAEL GIACCHINO - Jupiter Ascending.

Every note, the arrangements, the instrumentation and orchestrations, every single harmony and melody in there proves why he's no.1 from the younger generation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Cue a response from Thor in 3...2...1...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    I hate those "The cosmos is dangerous and we are all gonna die" type of astronomy show.

Steven wrote

Are there many shows like that? uhm

There did seem to be at one point a few years ago, BBC 2's Horizon was one of the main culprits. The sun is going to explode in a few billion years, time to get worried...right!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. TOP GUN - Various Artists

Awesome songs from that unbeatable decade that is the Eighties. The best thing to come out of that film.

Mighty Wings !!! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    There did seem to be at one point a few years ago, BBC 2's Horizon was one of the main culprits. The sun is going to explode in a few billion years, time to get worried...right!?

Hmm. That would be an odd thing to worry about. Though there are things worthy of attention, like super volcanoes, asteroids, CMEs and the like. In fact, the non-parochial has a habit of putting the parochial in perspective, so there's a positive aspect to this "doom and gloom"!

If an appropriately sized asteroid were to hit the Middle East, this would be a good thing. We can only hope.
  2. Tron: Legacy - Daft Punk

Not usually my thing, but a guilty pleasure. Guilty because I always picture Batman beginning in the background.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Tron: Legacy - Daft Punk

Not usually my thing, but a guilty pleasure. Guilty because I always picture Batman beginning in the background.

One of my favourite scores in the last 10 years!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Tron: Legacy - Daft Punk

guilty? no sir, that is a modern masterpiece.
  3. Yeah, I don't give too many modern scores 5 stars anymore, but Tron Legacy definitely deserves it. Amazing that this comes from two guys that had nothing to do with the art of film scoring. And a little help from Zimmer, I suspect.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. NP: The Thing - John Carpenter & Ennio Morricone

The re-recording.

This is a fantastic representation of one of my favourite scores. The inclusion of Carpenter's music on this CD, for me, beds the score more intimately with the film. Morricone's music is definitely the highlight, but Carpenter's music from this period is so characteristic that when it's heard in the film it's obviously his music. And years of omission on CD was always a disappointment.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Thing - John Carpenter & Ennio Morricone

The re-recording.

This is a fantastic representation of one of my favourite scores. The inclusion of Carpenter's music on this CD, for me, beds the score more intimately with the film. Morricone's music is definitely the highlight, but Carpenter's music from this period is so characteristic that when it's heard in the film it's obviously his music. And years of omission on CD was always a disappointment.

I'm glad to read this. The release interests me but I hadn't read a response to it until now.
  6. I love this score so my opinion may be slightly biased. wink

But, I would heartily recommend it. As I may have said before, I am not a big fan of re-recordings - I am invariably looking for a recreation of the original in re-recordings - but this BSX release succeeds in recreating the original (99% of the time.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. NP: Halloween III: Season of the Witch - John Carpenter & Alan Howarth

Another excellent score from the pen of John Carpenter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2016
    DreamTheater wrote
    Yeah, I don't give too many modern scores 5 stars anymore, but Tron Legacy definitely deserves it. Amazing that this comes from two guys that had nothing to do with the art of film scoring. And a little help from Zimmer, I suspect.

Not Zimmer. Joseph Trapanese.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. I know Trapanese helped on that, but didn't Zimmer have some kind of role? I thought I heard that back when it came out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote
    I know Trapanese helped on that, but didn't Zimmer have some kind of role? I thought I heard that back when it came out.

I've never heard about Zimmer being involved, but in addition to Trapanese, I do remember some murmus about Bruce Broughton being involved in the orchestral parts. Could be a rumour at the time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    christopher wrote
    I know Trapanese helped on that, but didn't Zimmer have some kind of role? I thought I heard that back when it came out.

He might have been consulted on a few things. Bruce Broughton was also involved but I'm not sure what his role was.

But Joseph Trapanese's role was pretty prominent. He did a lot of the heavy lifting on that score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  9. Hans Zimmer IS in the thank-yous, I think. Also Broughton and, if I remember correctly, Harry Gregson-Williams?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  10. Broughton = orchestration consultant
    Zimmer, Powell, HGW and Beck = thanks for their generosity

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Probably lent some equipment or something.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Isn't Zimmer thanked in every soundtrack?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2016 edited
    Thor wrote
    Probably lent some equipment or something.

1 Yamaha, 2 Casio's and 3 Minions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Twister Mark Mancina

The best MV score.
  11. TRON LEGACY

Sounds from a universe where Bloody Fantastic is king and Mighty Awesome is prime minister.
  12. NP: Enemy at the Gates (2001) - James Horner

This is one of two CDs I bought from Gilles. smile

Horner in Titanic mode. I love that. Brilliant choral writing. Danger motive self parody in one or two spots. Some outstanding moments. Schindler's List also included. wink

A fine addition to my collection.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.