• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2016
    Poltergeist II - Jezza

Fascinatingly different from its predecessor in just about every way. Some of the most elaborate synth writing he ever did, amongst his most new age music, punctuated by the occasional satanic chanting. I don't love it exactly, but it's really good.
  1. Southall wrote
    Poltergeist II - Jezza

Fascinatingly different from its predecessor in just about every way. Some of the most elaborate synth writing he ever did, amongst his most new age music, punctuated by the occasional satanic chanting. I don't love it exactly, but it's really good.

I remember thinking that the expanded version of this score was so different from the original 30-minute release. I've not listened to either versions for years but wasn't the choral material one of the major omissions from the short release?

I wonder if this score is one of these examples where the album had to be put together before a lot of the score had yet to be recorded/finalised?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Wasn't the original shorter released also drenched in reverb, which the new once fixed?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Enemy at the Gates (2001) - James Horner

This is one of two CDs I bought from Gilles. smile

Horner in Titanic mode. I love that. Brilliant choral writing. Danger motive self parody in one or two spots. Some outstanding moments. Schindler's List also included. wink

A fine addition to my collection.

Volker

Well I'm happy that it's now appreciated by you Volker, because I've never been able to like it as much as some Horner fans. Erik made a great suite a couple years back and that's all I'll ever need.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. justin boggan wrote
    Wasn't the original shorter released also drenched in reverb, which the new once fixed?

Yes the new Poltergeist II release is superb. I never liked the original presentations, the sound was a bit off.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2016
    Safe - Mark Mothersbaugh

Presumably like nothing else he's ever done which is a real shame as this is superb. Plenty of strident brass and brilliant slow, rhythmic low-end piano runs. A real breakthrough score in the vein of Joe Kraemer's Jack Reacher except even better I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2016 edited
    I wouldn't use the word 'breakthrough' for Mark Mothersbaugh, who's been a major player for at least 30 years now, but interesting observations. I'll check it out (his PEE WEE score is one of the best scores of the year, IMO).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    Danger motive self parody in one or two spots.

Oh no... it's all over the score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. EatG -- the only Horner score I bought I had to get rid of.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. The Blue Max and suites (Tadlow) - Jerry G.

A gift that keeps on giving.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE NEON DEMON (Cliff Martinez)

Totally addicted!
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Lionheart - Jerry G.

Quibble: There's some bloat to the deluxe release. But the material's terrific regardless. This score wasn't on my radar until very recently. Delighted to be getting familiar with it.
  8. J. Flaherty wrote
    The Blue Max and suites (Tadlow) - Jerry G.

A gift that keeps on giving.

As someone that still prefers to listen to physical media I would've preferred to have the Blue Max on one disc and Themes & Suites part on the other. Apart from that tiny personal complaint this is a brilliant release and ditto recording.

THE GHOST AND THE DARKNESS (EXPANDED)

Jerry in Africa sounds pretty good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Lionheart - Jerry G.

Quibble: There's some bloat to the deluxe release. But the material's terrific regardless. This score wasn't on my radar until very recently. Delighted to be getting familiar with it.

I don't know about no deluxe edition, but I love the original release. "Mathilda" always gets me going.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Clarification: The 1987 Lionheart release, as available in the States on iTunes. Both volumes come together.
  10. This edition of Lionheart is perfect IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    This edition of Lionheart is perfect IMO.

It is. That's the one I have.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    This edition of Lionheart is perfect IMO.

It is. That's the one I have.

Me too. Gorgeous. I put it on too. Has been a while.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    That score is in epic need of a rerelease.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2016
    Thor wrote
    I wouldn't use the word 'breakthrough' for Mark Mothersbaugh, who's been a major player for at least 30 years now, but interesting observations. I'll check it out (his PEE WEE score is one of the best scores of the year, IMO).

Yeah true. I only meant breakthrough in terms of a new sound or type of film to score for him (at least as far as I know).

Will have to check out his Pee-Wee score. His Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs score is great too.

Moon - Clint Mansell

Sublime stuff. One of his best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    christopher wrote
    I know Trapanese helped on that, but didn't Zimmer have some kind of role? I thought I heard that back when it came out.

He might have been consulted on a few things. Bruce Broughton was also involved but I'm not sure what his role was.

But Joseph Trapanese's role was pretty prominent. He did a lot of the heavy lifting on that score.

-Erik-

And you can tell by listening to the rest of the body of his work (Trapanese) that he should normally get a third main credit on Tron too wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Enemy at the Gates (2001) - James Horner

This is one of two CDs I bought from Gilles. smile

Horner in Titanic mode. I love that. Brilliant choral writing. Danger motive self parody in one or two spots. Some outstanding moments. Schindler's List also included. wink

A fine addition to my collection.

Volker

Well I'm happy that it's now appreciated by you Volker, because I've never been able to like it as much as some Horner fans. Erik made a great suite a couple years back and that's all I'll ever need.

Love that score, no matter the cliches and repetitions.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2016 edited
    NP: A LATE QUARTET (Angelo Badalamenti/various)

I prefer the Badalamenti over the Beethoven string quartet (which is unusually long for a string quartet), but it's all good.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Fort Saganne - Philippe Sarde

Had to give up on this one, it quickly becomes really dull.

Now onto:
    The Innkeepers - Jeff Grace.

Killer opening title cue to kick off what is a solid score for Ti West's great supernatural suspense/comedy/drama.
  12. MOH : UNDERGROUND - Mikey G.

Slightly less impressive than its predecessor, but still a rousing score full of amazing themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: AMERICAN HISTORY X (Anne Dudley)

I wanted to play some Anne Dudley again, due to her Goldsmith/BASIC INSTINCT-like score for Paul Verhoeven's recent masterpiece ELLE, and I had to play this -- her greatest achievement thus far, IMO. What a fantastic score -- both in and out of context!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LONELY PLANET, VOLUME 1 (various)

Inspired by myself and the documentary episode I just did at celluloidtunes.no. Anyway, it's a fantastic set (as is Volume 2) -- 2 CD's of ethnic electropop. Think Era, Enigma, Deep Forest, just better.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BOY ON A DOLPHIN - Hugo Friedhofer

Wonderful, evocative.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  13. Thor wrote
    NP: AMERICAN HISTORY X (Anne Dudley)

I wanted to play some Anne Dudley again, due to her Goldsmith/BASIC INSTINCT-like score for Paul Verhoeven's recent masterpiece ELLE, and I had to play this -- her greatest achievement thus far, IMO. What a fantastic score -- both in and out of context!

A personal favorite here too... it's just so powerful and chilling to the bone, isn't it? Love the film too.
  14. BRAINSTORM followed by UNCOMMON VALOR

Two 80s classics from Horner. Fantastic !

Almost a year now. sad