• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2016
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Warcraft - Ramin Djawadi

It passes the time. It's not interesting but it's rarely outright boring. It even has multiple thematic ideas and there seems to have been at least some effort put in to make it sound a bit like the game scores, especially the guttural choir and percussion and low brass orc stuff. That said, it's also pretty much instantly forgettable and everything feels so half-baked and simplistic. It's like a diet version of the actual Brower/Acree etc scores and it makes me wonder, once again, why the hell they weren't just hired in the first place. Surely the name Djawadi doesn't sell that many more units, Game of Thrones or no Game of Thrones.

I liked it! smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Artist (2011) Ludovic Bource

Tremendous score. I didn't listen to it in a long while. Revisiting it now proves my fond memories right.

smile Volker

Absolutely gorgeous. Shame he was a one-show-up case so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I often wonder what music of the 20th century will stand the test of time. What music will be remembered in - say - 200 years from now.
    With regard to classical music there are several obvious names: Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Henze, Walton Williams, Copland among many others.
    With regard to pop music I believe that some songs of the Beatles will survive, and other defining classics of rock music, like "Rock around the Clock" or "Beat it".
    Now film music? That will depend greatly on what films will be remembered. For pure musical reasons, the greats of the Golden and the Silver Age will survive at least in some of their works.

smile Volker

Definitely the masters of the symphonic scores. Because orchestral music has endured until now.
    Superman and Star Wars and Krull and Star Trek must survive.

IT'S UP TO US ! WE MUST PASS ON WHAT WE HAVE LEARNED.

Posting about it here on this board for future reference is a start. smile

(Provided we haven't gone back to the stone age.)

That's very likely... the planet will see to that.

Stone age. Or heavy taxation and regulation of everything until people can no longer stand and handle it and revolt. Burn it all down, zero. Start from beginning, thus the modern stone age. But i highly doubt it. I see more and more pictures of modern sad technological slaves, underpaid and unhappy. More fast food life, less happiness and meaning unless you withdraw at some mountains growing trees and vegetables and making your own wine (hehe). As for film music? well, if we all laughed when dubstep came out and now it's practically the norm as a rhythmical - bassy basis in virtually most of the modern / pop etc song genres but also orchestral music as well, i imagine a future of film music dominated by one-man-'band's, do-it-all film 'composers' who handle the electronics pretty well and can do everything themselves. Orchestras gone, everything sounding like Junkie XL hybrids smile Look at the natural grow, flow and line with the short life of film music so far, since its beginning. Where does it lead to year by year? smile
  1. Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Warcraft - Ramin Djawadi

It passes the time. It's not interesting but it's rarely outright boring. It even has multiple thematic ideas and there seems to have been at least some effort put in to make it sound a bit like the game scores, especially the guttural choir and percussion and low brass orc stuff. That said, it's also pretty much instantly forgettable and everything feels so half-baked and simplistic. It's like a diet version of the actual Brower/Acree etc scores and it makes me wonder, once again, why the hell they weren't just hired in the first place. Surely the name Djawadi doesn't sell that many more units, Game of Thrones or no Game of Thrones.

I liked it! smile

Oh I didn't dislike it. It's just very average and I doubt I'll spend much time listening to it or thinking about it in the future.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Warcraft - Ramin Djawadi

I liked it! smile

Oh I didn't dislike it. It's just very average and I doubt I'll spend much time listening to it or thinking about it in the future.

Same as most of this kind of modern film music anyway? smile
  2. NP: COSMOS: A SpaceTime Odyssey (2014) - Alan Silvestri

I obtained the four digital albums back when they were released. A rare occasion of me going for a digital download. I was rather underwhelmed then, perceiving most of the music as auto pilot and repetitive. As so often, watching the actual show has elevated my esteem for the music. Still I don't believe it justifies a four album release.
    What I like is that they kept the basic concept of mixing symphonic and electronica styling. While the original soundtrack has become a classic in its own right the vast number of sources does make it eclectic as a listening experience. So, the single composer solution appeals to me. In retrospect I would have wished they had turned to Hans Zimmer whose composer commune seems most qualified for such a mix of genres. In fact it is Silvestri's electronica cues that seem meh and nondescript. His symphonic contributions offer some considerable highlights. Had Silvestri collaborated with, say, Brian Eno or Moby, a well balanced album might have been a terrific experience.
    As it is I have compiled a 48 minutes playlist that I think will be my go to version of the score from now on:

1. Cosmos Main Title
    2. Come With Me
    3. The Cosmos is Yours
    4. Giordano Bruno
    5. The Staggering Immensity of Time
    6. Star Stuff
    7. New Year's Eve
    8. Genetic Alphabet
    9. Tartigrades
    10. All there Is or Ever Was or Ever Will Be
    11. The Speed of Light
    12. August 1684
    13. Halley's Comet
    14 4,5 Billion Years Old
    15 Islands of Light
    16 Our Journey is Just Beginning

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Warcraft - Ramin Djawadi

I liked it! smile

It's snoozer! Generic, unmemorable, paint by numbers. No thanks. I'll play it on my show this week and never listen to it again. This is the sort of music that is killing film music.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Maybe not paint by numbers, but unmemorable and trying to sound heavy and epic rather than actually doing so.

And why the hell the theme is so jazzy?!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Warcraft - Ramin Djawadi

I liked it! smile

You admonish modern film music trends, but seem to enjoy exactly the sort of score that fits modern trends! dizzy

You need Jesus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    In fact it is Silvestri's electronica cues that seem meh and nondescript. His symphonic contributions offer some considerable highlights. Had Silvestri collaborated with, say, Brian Eno or Moby, a well balanced album might have been a terrific experience.

I think those tracks that more or less purely electronic, like the gorgeous "The Speed of Light", are great and showcase what a wonderful synth composer Silvestri used to be in the 80s and partially 90s. I wish he did more of that once in a while.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Alice 2: The Looking Glass - D Elfman

I've been starting to review this for about a week now but still haven't managed to think of anything to say about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    "It's another Elfman score for a Burton production."

Feel free to use that.
  4. Southall wrote
    Alice 2: The Looking Glass - D Elfman

I've been starting to review this for about a week now but still haven't managed to think of anything to say about it.

That doesn't bode well.
    Then again, I'd love to read a score review that demolishes the score by eschewing any direct comment on the music, composer, or film. And does it well. That'd be wonderful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    "It's another Elfman score for a Burton production."

Feel free to use that.

biggrin

A genre on its own
  5. PawelStroinski wrote
    Maybe not paint by numbers, but unmemorable and trying to sound heavy and epic rather than actually doing so.

Jazzy? Where are you hearing that? lol

I agree with the "trying to sound etc." comment. Someone on Filmtracks compared it to a six-year-old stomping around the sandbox pretending to be a giant. That's pretty much exactly what this score is. Which can be cute at times, but it doesn't exactly inspire awe, you know?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Warcraft - R Djawadi

It's, um, not exactly memorable.
  6. NP: Starchaser: The Legend of Orin (1986) - Andrew Belling

As cheesy as it gets but not without charm. My nostalgia is triggered instantly.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2016
    NP: RUDY (Jerry Goldsmith)

Warm and fuzzy.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Southall wrote
    Warcraft - R Djawadi

It's, um, not exactly memorable.

So the videogames on which this is based have gotten consistently good scores, some even excellent.

Hollywood steps in and makes it sound generic and bland.

In other words: art is being destroyed by the almighty dollar !

At least Brower, Hayes, Acree, Duke, etc. have given us some really epic music and I'll gladly invest my time in that.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Body Double - Pino Donaggio

The full release of this classic collaboration with Brian DePalma is bliss even if the handful of dated source-like cues are worth ditching for a tighter edit. As usual it's the Herrmann-esque string writing that stands out although the 'Telescope' cue is great and the one that I most vividly remember from the film.
  8. For Greater Glory - J.H.

This month is Horner month for obvious reasons, so I'm going through all my favorites by the man.
    This was his final one for me.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    True Blood - Nathan Barr

One of the best cd's of television scoring I've heard. Wonderful variety and meticulously crafted texture in every cue.
  9. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Maybe not paint by numbers, but unmemorable and trying to sound heavy and epic rather than actually doing so.

I agree with the "trying to sound etc." comment. Someone on Filmtracks compared it to a six-year-old stomping around the sandbox pretending to be a giant. That's pretty much exactly what this score is. Which can be cute at times, but it doesn't exactly inspire awe, you know?

I don't know, some of the scales in the theme sounded quite jazzy to me.

And yeah, that's a perfect assessment. The score is, simply, juvenile. Not sure if it's music that is killing film music, as Erik put it. I think the problem is purely the composer's and I wouldn't try to make any judgment on the state of art based on this. It's definitely better than Clash of the Titans, I can give Djawadi that (that said, I like the Perseus track with the exception of what is trying to pass as the main theme of the score, but there is a very nice string theme in there, which is something that he will develop in Medal of Honor, his favorite score of mine).

As I haven't seen the film (not sure I will), I can't really say what it's supposed to do, but at some point we will have to look at film aesthetics and how that influences the genre. Though to be honest, I think the composer who is most influenced by that for the better and worse is Brian Tyler. I think looking at his action scores with their pros and cons would say a lot about the filmmaking of today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2016
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I don't know, some of the scales in the theme sounded quite jazzy to me.

And yeah, that's a perfect assessment. The score is, simply, juvenile. Not sure if it's music that is killing film music, as Erik put it. I think the problem is purely the composer's and I wouldn't try to make any judgment on the state of art based on this. It's definitely better than Clash of the Titans, I can give Djawadi that (that said, I like the Perseus track with the exception of what is trying to pass as the main theme of the score, but there is a very nice string theme in there, which is something that he will develop in Medal of Honor, his favorite score of mine).

As I haven't seen the film (not sure I will), I can't really say what it's supposed to do, but at some point we will have to look at film aesthetics and how that influences the genre. Though to be honest, I think the composer who is most influenced by that for the better and worse is Brian Tyler. I think looking at his action scores with their pros and cons would say a lot about the filmmaking of today.

Producers, directors, studio execs, all of them temp these big productions with the same kind of Rc-ish / zimmer-esque sound and ask others to write like that all the time, otherwise they don't consider it a strong selling point, a commercial score, something that will attract the attention of the youngsters and / or modern audiences.
  10. Well, that's one part of the equation. But you are surely aware that a 2010 film looks and feels differently than, say, a 1995 film? That not just the camera work, but, particularly (as that is crucial in terms of composition) the editing is different?

Notice how many composers very popular in the 1980s/1990s and who are very well alive don't get work anymore, like Trevor Jones or Robert Folk. Or even younger guys like Edward Shearmur don't do much beyond romantic comedies. Of the masters I can think of two composers who managed to adapt to the new style, one sadly didn't live to the 2010s. While Williams is not doing much now, until his death, Goldsmith still had 3-4 projects going for him every year and unlike, say, Bernstein, they weren't exactly period pieces. I think it also says something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Well, that's one part of the equation. But you are surely aware that a 2010 film looks and feels differently than, say, a 1995 film? That not just the camera work, but, particularly (as that is crucial in terms of composition) the editing is different?

Notice how many composers very popular in the 1980s/1990s and who are very well alive don't get work anymore, like Trevor Jones or Robert Folk. Or even younger guys like Edward Shearmur don't do much beyond romantic comedies. Of the masters I can think of two composers who managed to adapt to the new style, one sadly didn't live to the 2010s. While Williams is not doing much now, until his death, Goldsmith still had 3-4 projects going for him every year and unlike, say, Bernstein, they weren't exactly period pieces. I think it also says something.

They mostly look and feel like video game sequences any more. (mostly) gone are the characters and storyline.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And many composers follow up in order not to stay out of business.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steve Jablonsky - TMNT2

Apart from: "squirrel formation" "tartatuga brothers" "casey jones" "jump!" "just one sip" "brothers" the rest is headache-inducing unlistenable noise.
  11. PawelStroinski wrote
    Well, that's one part of the equation. But you are surely aware that a 2010 film looks and feels differently than, say, a 1995 film? That not just the camera work, but, particularly (as that is crucial in terms of composition) the editing is different?

IMO film music as a creative art-form with the purpose of supporting the film AND being a worthwile standalone experience started to die when Jerry passed on.

But what I don't get is that many of the producers nowadays are in their 30s-40s and have grown up with the phenomenal scores in their youth, yet they don't seem to want that in their own productions.
  12. Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

They mostly look and feel like video game sequences any more. (mostly) gone are the characters and storyline.

Not sure I would agree. If video games were on the level they are now at that time, that's what you could say about the action classics of the 1980s, but the real problem is something you would never actually deal with in case of a video game - attention span.

The editing got much shorter. You can approach that in two ways. Ignore the editing whatsoever and just develop a cue (which, with some sync point exceptions James Horner did so well, Hans Zimmer realized that's the way to go some time in the mid-90s and works like that ever since) for the length of the sequence or try to think in the old-school way. This is where the pros and cons of Brian Tyler come in, for example. His approach is pretty old-school in terms of how to approach and score a picture, but that means he's getting ADHD at times and, at his action worst, is capable of trying to start a theme and the scene takes him somewhere else... His remedy? Iron Man 3!