• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorJ. Flaherty
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2016 edited
    Sommersby - Danny Elfman

It is a cliche to look back on early 90s Elfman with doe eyes. But hard not to, listening to this. He got such a big sound out of orchestrations that are pretty modest compared to what he does these days.

But I second Thor's praise of Elfman's music for quiet drama. That's one thing I can always count on an Elfman score for.
  1. LEGENDS OF THE FALL

As that dreaded day comes creeping closer, my most cherished Horner scores need some attention.

This one remains as gorgeous as ever ! love
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2016 edited
    That dreaded day creeping closer? But it's not even summer yet! confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. I'm talking about the first anniversary of the man's passing (june 22).

One year ago I'd never have thought I'd type these words. sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Might as well be Summer, it was 91 degrees the other day. It's been hot as fuck for two or three weeks.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2016
    Gods of Egypt Marco Beltrami

Half way through the year, and this remains my favourite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2016
    NP: SHUFFLE (Kurt Kuenne)

The film is a few years old, but the soundtrack just came out. Nice discovery! Some pop-infused tracks, but mostly it's an old-school suspense score that is very melodic and accesible. Very impressive!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2016
    NP: FINDING NEMO - Thomas Newman

I'm only 3 tracks, and it's typically gorgeous Newman stuff, but why does it sound so serious!? Sounds like it's from one of his Todd Field films.

EDIt: It's lightened up a bit now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I like serious stuff. I am extremely serious.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. But only when you're sober, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No, always. cylon
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Independence Day: Resurgence Generic Composer A & Generic Composer B

It's worse than I was expecting; and I was already expecting it to be bad. It's worse than bad... it's bland.

I can't wait to hear the 'This is a very different film from the first one, so needed a very different score' excuses from the filmmakers. Yes, I'm sure by looking at the trailer, the film required bland, faceless wallpaper music with no heart, soul or sense of excitement and adventure whatsoever. Fantastic, great job guys. Bravo.

Kill me.
  5. 20 years ago I would've given this a listen and dismissed it... Nowadays I plain ignore shit like this and put on something good instead.

APOLLO 13

Another day, another 5 star effort from that genius man.
  6. A Kloser/Wanker score that's...bland? No, really??? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I like the artwork.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2016 edited
    Now You See Me 2 Brian Tyler

This is far from bland. Some of Tyler's most interesting and unique music in this one. This is Tyler very much in Powell mode, and he does it quite well indeed. I'm sure the film is tripe like the first one, but the scores make for fine albums.
  7. I enjoy that score, but it also features a lot of Tyler's worst habits. Entire passages regurgitated from the previous score? Check. Awful album presentation that's miles too long, out-of-order and stacks all the interesting material in the first thirty minutes and then becomes an absolute slog towards the end? Check. Inexplicable hideous electronica passage (beginning of "Trifecta")? Check.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's all true (although I rather enjoy the inexplicable hideous electronica passages since I'm 12). However, he does at least provide the raw materials that can be refined into something much better, however much of a ball ache it is, and thankfully someone has been kind enough to do that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Collage: A Concerto for Four Horns and Orchestra James Horner

Heartbreaking stuff. His death was made all the more tragic as he was starting to revisit his older sound + his newer sound, and bringing that to his non-film music projects (the violin concerto, the Four Horsemen, and this). I think it started with Avatar, since that film harkened back to Aliens given its military aspect.

Technically off topic, but... it's Horner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2016
    Independence Day - David Arnold

Absolutely bloody brilliant.
  8. THE FOUR FEATHERS

If it weren't for the existence of powerful cues 'The Makings of a Fine Soldier', 'The Mahdi', 'Escape' and 'A Coward No Longer' this score might've gone down as depressingly average. But these 4 tracks elevate the score into the 'absolutely worth it' department. It may even be the one I return to the most from all his post 2000 work.
  9. James Horner
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2016
    Flight James Horner

The dog's bollocks, it really is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2016 edited
    FINDING DORY - Thomas Newman

Just like Finding Nemo before it, this is inspired stuff. As you'd expect, Newman took the previous score as a template and expanded upon it, with once again a wide variety of colorful instrumentation that perfectly captures the underwater world. Incredibly eclectic once again, but somehow Thomas makes it work. But though the emotional core this time comes from a lovely violin theme, Nemo's piano theme is missed (lovely brief mention of the woodwind-theme in the second half though, lightening up some of its darker moments).

THE LEGEND OF TARZAN - Rupert Gregson Williams

Oh no, no no. Turned this one off quickly to not dilute my good mood. The price for which this one is offered (€4,99) should be a sign, since it's as generic as it may get. Typical RC music, with some jungly percussion and wailing vocal to justify this score to be a Tarzan one.
  10. Southall wrote
    Flight James Horner

That's The Horsemen, correct?

TITANIC

WHAT! A!! SCORE!!! punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote
    Flight James Horner

That's The Horsemen, correct?

Yes... "Flight" is my favourite of the three titles I'm aware of it having been given. (I feel vulgar even typing the third one, "Write Your Soul"... Americans...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2016 edited
    THE ROCKETEER

One more utterly brilliant Horner today. Love everything about this album: the artwork, the foldout booklet, young Jen Connelly in the photos and the music... Music like this is hard to find now. Thrilling, gorgeous, adventurous, fantastic all over. And the 2 period songs are worthy of mention too, because they fit perfectly with Horner's cues, and I sure do have a soft spot for them, especially Begin the Beguine. Great vocal performance.

Oh and Jenny is an EXCELLENT track... One of Horner's best ever themes, that sends my heart soaring. It always has been EXCELLENT and saying it's not is like stating the earth is flat or some such nonsense. Someone I personally know needs to rectify that oversight. I just hope he'll be reading this. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE LEGEND OF TARZAN - Rupert Gregson Williams

No matter how many times I go to McDonalds their 99 pence cheese burger always taste exactly the same.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. Yes. But in contrast to certain kinds of music those burgers never lack a certain average level of quality.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  12. THE RIVER WILD - MAURICE JARRE

My second listen of this rejected score and it hasn't improved my opinion. It remains a disjointed, uninspired and lacklustre affair, and understandable that it got replaced. Jerry's take is definitely an improvement, which is also why I bought the recent release.