• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. TREK 2 TWOK by one Mr. Horner

The amazing start of something that changed my life. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. NP: Amazing Stories: The Mission / Dorothy and Ben (1999) - John Williams / George Delerue

Beautiful music!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. I have derided to embark on an odyssey that will let me revisit the sound and the genre that first drew me towards film music. I will start later tonight with Star Trek.

1966 Star Trek – Alexander Courage; Fred Steiner; various
    1975 Space: 1999 – Barry Gray
    1977 Star Wars – John Williams
    1978 Battlestar Galactica – Stu Phillips
    1979 Star Trek – The Motion Picture – Jerry Goldmith / The Black Hole – John Barry /
    Alien – Jerry Goldsmith
    1980 The Empire Strikes Back – John Williams / Battle Beyond the Stars – James Horner
    1981 Outland – Jerry Goldsmith
    1982 E.T. The Extra Terrestrial – John Williams / Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan – James Horner
    1983 Return of the Jedi – John Williams / Spacehunter – Elmer Bernstein
    1984 DUNE – Toto / The Last Starfighter – Greg Safan / 2010 Odyssey II – David Shire
    1985 Enemy Mine – Maurice Jarre
    1986 Aliens – James Horner
    1987 Masters of the Univese – Bill Conti
    1988 Akira – Shoji Yamashiro
    1989 Star Trek V The Final Frontier – Jerry Goldsmith / Back to the Future II – Alan Silvestri
    1990 Total Recall – Jerry Goldsmith
    1991 Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country – Cliff Eidelman
    1992 Alien 3 – Elliot Goldenthal
    1993 Jurassic Park – John Williams
    1994 Stargate – David Arnold
    1995 Space: Above and Beyond – Sherley Walker
    1996 Independence Day – David Arnold
    1997 Starship Troopers - Basil Poledouris

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2016
    NP: FINDING DORY - Thomas Newman

An appropriate, albeit lesser, companion piece to Nemo. No where near as joyous and emotional but you could easily mix the highlights of each together for a pretty awesome compilation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2016 edited
    NP: ALL THE WAY - James Newton Howard

I watched this quite excellent HBO film recently (about the beginnings of Lyndon B. Johnson's term in office following the assassination of JFK) and hardly noticed Howard's score. The film is quite 'talky' so the majority of the music is quiet underscore. On album, it's surprisingly lovely. Lots of soft long-lined Americana-tinged cues with strings, woodwinds and soft brass dominating. The rest is functional yet non-descript dark drama stuff but a very lovely background listen overall.
  4. So I reckon it was time for KRULL, my second favorite by Horner in preparation for the number one tomorrow. I for one am happy that he was young and at the top of his game during the 80s, when Hollywood still was about putting big thematic super memorable scores in great (and not so great) movies. Horner was allowed to stretch his muscles from a composition point of view, and be as creative and expressive as he could be. And boy do I thank the powers that be for those decisions. But most of all the man himself for giving me such timeless scores and hours of enjoyment. And for this one's badassness... cool

Thank you James, wherever you are now. wave
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Captain Future wrote
    I have derided to embark on an odyssey that will let me revisit the sound and the genre that first drew me towards film music. I will start later tonight with Star Trek.
    smile Volker

That's quite a trip! 1979 through 1984 is going to treat you particularly well.
  6. 1977 - 1983 : best period ever in film music !
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2016 edited
    I wonder how many score fans are putting on Horner today. On this first anniversary of his death, for me there's only one candidate, the most emotionally gut-wrenching and inspired music he has ever composed. For one of my favorite films.

Rest in peace Mr. Horner (bawling my eyes out right now as the end credits play...)
  7. So, your personal calamities aside, what are you playing?
  8. Click on my name and all will be revealed. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2016
    Good heavens, you're an adult. All this time I thought you were a young teenager.
  9. I've got to be in the right mood nowadays for that kind of unabashed film music romanticism. In past days it would have been a no-brainer. Also there is a bit of "Belfast Child" in there that irritates me.
    Fantastic score nonetheless.

smile Volker
  10. Steven wrote
    Good heavens, you're an adult. All this time I thought you were a young teenager.

Yeah sure, like just now's the first time you ever checked my profile to see who that totally ignorant and illogical person was that kept writing these ridiculously idiotic posts on MT, and who's actually not as witty as he thinks he is.

And gosh, you give me too much credit. To call me an adult, when I haven't even lived a real adult's life. shocked

I'm getting there though. Maybe by the time I'm 60.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Keep it together there, chief.

Sinbad Harry Gregson-Williams

I haven't heard this for years. I'd forgotten how good it is!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Born in the mid seventies? That's not an adult. That's someone who's just having a first look-in.
    Of course still not a patch on youngling Kloy AgeMcoberg, whose youthful exuberance harkens back to another millennium, when I myself was still spry, idealistic and filled with vim and vigour, not to mention piss and vinegar. All in black and white, of course.
    We didn't have no namby pamby 3D in those days.
    Nosirree.
    We just ran a straight line. Straight and narrow.
    None of that twisted, perverted stuff. Like sex.
    Hah.

Now.

...where was I?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2016 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Born in the mid seventies? That's not an adult. That's someone who's j

This is as far as I got. 140 characters is all I can cope with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2016
    #NotAllMuslims
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2016
    Dont be a twit
    ter
    er
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2016 edited
    It's... it's too late for me.
  11. Rudy - Jerry G.

When the tambourine and bells start in during "The Final Game," I picture the Enterprise flying low among the linebackers to the dismay and trembling of Notre Dame fans. Then I picture Sean Astin running laps around the Federation drydock.

Pop culture brain, I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2016 edited
    GHOSTBUSTERS - Elmer Bernstein

Never having heard the score before, I got curious about it after all this Ghostbusters talk of late. And is it me, or does the Main Theme feature Nino Rota's 8 1/2 theme? I've searched on it, but I can't find anyone else who made the link before?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2016
    It does get pretty close to it, but Bernstein does do his own thing with it.
  12. NP: STAR TREK The Motion Picture (1979) - Jerry Goldsmith

Sublime.

Volker
  13. NP: Piedone l'africano (1978) - Guido & Maurizo De Angelis

Finest electro pop al la Italia.

Anyone else still listening to film music around here?
  14. Guilty.
    Listening to this and other, often-neglected Horner albums of mine as I weigh whether to go in on the new Rocketeer release:

Titanic - James Horner

The heart of the ocean is made of syrup.

The syrup serves its film very well, certainly. And years on, I still enjoy the opening and closing cues. The clanging anvils in "Hard to Starboard" still excite.

But the love theme in all its treatments, the heart of the heart of the ocean, is way too sweet. For me.
    *And here I delicately, quietly walk away.*
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2016
    It's his most famous love theme, without a doubt, but by no means his best.

For me, Titanic is at it's best in the action music. I also really like the theme for the ship but not so much the 'Enya' inspired stuff which surrounds it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2016
    I've always had a soft spot for the "Enya stuff" too, but then again I enjoy my Enya.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. As stated before: I love the score with all its aspects. The Enya sound serves an enchanted otherworldly atmosphere. The Ship of Dreams, an icon for a time that would largely come to an end with WWI.

I especially love the action music which is among the best I have ever listened to. Over all highly intelligent film music and a model of musical story telling.

Volker
  16. NP: First Knight (1995) - Jerry Goldsmith

The term is speedily coming to and end. The last three days I took part in a fantasy role play with 13 year old students acting as humans, elves, dwarves etc in the midst of the wood that culminated today in hewing down teachers dressed up as Orgs, thus defeating evil as allies. biggrin

Listening to this outstanding score is a wonderful way to recover from this.

knight Volker