• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2016
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I think Desplat and Giacchino should write a duet for tuba and timpani and play it in front of Thor's place 24 hours a day. wink

I think Desplat and Giacchino should retire from film scoring, get a cabin together in the woods and play directionless, anonymous music to each other untill they achieve the perfect level of mediocrity.

biggrin

Only to be highlighter by the supreme reign of Junkie XL wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. NP: The Best Years of Our Lives - Hugo Friedhofer

I don't recall ever having seen this movie so I don't have that connection between the film and score that can be so important when listening to music. The way this album is put together gives a 'symphonic poem' feel to Friedhofer's score that adds to the enjoyment.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. NP: Night and The City - Benjamin Frankel

I get the impression that this is one of those dark dramas that would benefit from a similarly dark score. Listening to Frankel's score, I don't get any of that sense of tension as a lot of the tracks seem to be diegetic in nature.

I can't recall but perhaps Waxman's version for the movie better reflects the feel of the film?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2016 edited
    NP: Swiss Army Man - Andy Hull & Robert McDowell

I've truly never heard anything like this before in my life. Mostly performed by acapela voices, banging sticks and synths. It's mesmerizing, goofy, free spirited and full of heart. I absolutely love it! Annnnnd... there's an acapella version of Williams' Jurassic Park theme on that album!

punk

This score might be the first score in many years (decades) to be truly deserving of a best ORIGINAL score nomination.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. For originality, it can't be faulted. But it was something I just didn't enjoy listening to.
  4. Erik Woods wrote

I've truly never heard anything like this before in my life. Mostly performed by acapela voices, banging sticks and synths. It's mesmerizing, goofy, free spirited and full of heart. I absolutely love it! Annnnnd... there's an acapella version of Williams' Jurassic Park theme on that album!

punk

This score might be the first score in many years (decades) to be truly deserving of a best ORIGINAL score nomination.

-Erik-

original absolutely, but after a couple of tracks I got quite bored by the repetitiveness of the sound. Not a second time for me I'm afraid.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote

punk

-Erik-

I love this score, another of my favourites this year. I don't get bored at all; there's so much variety within the "confines" of the sound. Who knew Daniel Radcliffe could sing/hum so well?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2016
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    For originality, it can't be faulted. But it was something I just didn't enjoy listening to.

Yet you loved Under The Skin.

crazy

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    UNDER THE SKIN was amazing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FINAL FANTASY: THE SPIRITS WITHIN - Elliot Goldenthal

Of awesome scores there is awesome and then there is AWESOME, this one is the latter.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    For originality, it can't be faulted. But it was something I just didn't enjoy listening to.

crazy

-Erik-

confused

How would loving Levi's Under The Skin make it likely that I'd love Swiss Army Man? They sound nothing like one another.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    UNDER THE SKIN was amazing.

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

crazy

-Erik-

confused

How would loving Levi's Under The Skin make it likely that I'd love Swiss Army Man? They sound nothing like one another.

Did you enjoy listen to Under The Skin? If so, then you saying that you didn't enjoying listening to Swiss Army Man is dizzy

-Erik-

PS - I'm just jerking your chain, Alan! wink
  6. Timmer wrote

Of awesome scores there is awesome and then there is AWESOME, this one is the latter.

You can blow out your windows with that one.
    Nothing says, "This is a humungous, world-ending space weapon" like "Zeus Cannon."

"The Kiss" is lovely too.
  7. Demetris wrote
    UNDER THE SKIN was amazingly bad.

I agree!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Timmer wrote

You can blow out your windows with that one.
    Nothing says, "This is a humungous, world-ending space weapon" like "Zeus Cannon."

"The Kiss" is lovely too.

fantastic score, one of the best ever written in our times, imo.

HANS ZIMMER and that junk man - Batman vs superman whatever

not even half as bad as people make it out to be. The man of steel, slower dramatic references, are right up my alley wink if you take out the junkie noise, you have a pretty decent Zimmer fair (although yeah not one of his best for sure, but still very enjoyable)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

I am sure this has some spicy underlines here. Shall i bring the oil?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    HANS ZIMMER and that junk man - Batman vs superman whatever

not even half as bad as people make it out to be.

You're banned.
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

crazy

-Erik-

confused

Did you enjoy listen to Under The Skin? If so, then you saying that you didn't enjoying listening to Swiss Army Man is dizzy

-Erik-

wink

Yes, I do enjoy listening to Under The Skin !

I think it must come under the same umbrella response I have for the music of The Smiths. I know lots of people who say that their music is depressing. But I find it the polar opposite. When I was a post-grad student in Manchester, living in my bed-sit, I would find the music of The Smiths would bring me out of my periodic feeling down moments.

Which surprises many people.

I've commented a number of times why I think Levi's music appeals (I think I have anyway) but it's definitely the music - I sought out the film after being mesmerized by the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yes, Alan, quite spot-on, the adj. you used: mesmerizing. IT's the perfect word to describe Levi's score. Where is she btw? i'd expect that after all that fuss we'd definitely see more of her in the future! Not Zimmer enough?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Where is she btw? i'd expect that after all that fuss we'd definitely see more of her in the future!

Isn't she a lesbian hipster? She probably found movies too mainstream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yes biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    UNDER THE SKIN is amazing, but mostly in the movie itself. I didn't care for it on album.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Yes, Alan, quite spot-on, the adj. you used: mesmerizing. IT's the perfect word to describe Levi's score. Where is she btw? i'd expect that after all that fuss we'd definitely see more of her in the future! Not Zimmer enough?

She can stay in the shadows as far as I'm concerned.

-Erik-
  9. Demetris wrote

I am not surprised she hasn't been more visible. She showed no interest in interacting with the IFMCA when we were trying to contact her a couple of years ago.

Maybe scoring the film was just an artistic experiment for her.
  10. NP: Gorath (Yôsei Gorasu) - Kan Ishii

1960s Japanese disaster movie score. A meteor - called Gorath - is headed on a collision course for Earth and scientists must save the world. Ishii's orchestral score is typical of the Hollywood sci-fi scores of the 50s and early 60s. Some little hints at the film's geographic origins add a little colour to an already interesting score.
  11. NP: Arrugas - Nani García

Quirky little score for a Spanish animated film set in an elderly care home. A small ensemble score, it captures the lighter and more sombre moments of old age.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2016 edited
    NP: The Black Spider - Stelvio Cipriani

A mysterious one this. Unsure of which film this score was written for - despite extensive Google search. Even the label - Kronos Records - don't know anything about it. It's a score that features 80s-style synths in a very laid-back style rather than being 'pop synth.'
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2016
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Demetris wrote

I am not surprised she hasn't been more visible. She showed no interest in interacting with the IFMCA when we were trying to contact her a couple of years ago.

Maybe scoring the film was just an artistic experiment for her.

Very good points indeed, and this is what's likely happened. But if i was a lesbian hipster you'd not blame me if i didn't want to meet several male film music critics at once biggrin wink
  12. Samples from The BFG and Staship Troopers expanded. The CDs arrived today. Both seem highly worthwhile. I'll give them thorough listens sometime next week.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.