• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I think Desplat and Giacchino should write a duet for tuba and timpani and play it in front of Thor's place 24 hours a day. wink

I think Desplat and Giacchino should retire from film scoring, get a cabin together in the woods and play directionless, anonymous music to each other untill they achieve the perfect level of mediocrity.

Sounds like a fun retreat. Maybe Junkie XL can join them!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. NP: ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS - Elfman

First listen. I really like that theme. It was excellent several years ago and I was happy to hear it again in a new (but very similar) way. Now to see about the rest of the score.
  3. Chinatown - Jerry Goldsmith

One of those scores I've long admired in the film but never felt compelled to seek out separately. But much to admire here. Jerry could wrangle so much vitality, atmosphere, and momentum out of a small orchestra.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2016
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Swiss Army Man - Andy Hull & Robert McDowell

I've truly never heard anything like this before in my life. Mostly performed by acapela voices, banging sticks and synths. It's mesmerizing, goofy, free spirited and full of heart. I absolutely love it! Annnnnd... there's an acapella version of Williams' Jurassic Park theme on that album!

punk

This score might be the first score in many years (decades) to be truly deserving of a best ORIGINAL score nomination.

-Erik-

What an odd -and very enjoyable- beast this is!
    Thank for pointing this out, Erik. Would never have stumbled on this otherwise.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Chinatown - Jerry Goldsmith

Jerry could wrangle so much vitality, atmosphere, and momentum out of a small orchestra.

If you remember Jerry's more humble beginings in television it doesn't come as any surprise.

Chinatown is one of my favourite JG scores, a great album from beginning to end including the source pieces, I'm talking of the original release of course.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Swiss Army Man - Andy Hull & Robert McDowell

I've truly never heard anything like this before in my life. Mostly performed by acapela voices, banging sticks and synths. It's mesmerizing, goofy, free spirited and full of heart. I absolutely love it! Annnnnd... there's an acapella version of Williams' Jurassic Park theme on that album!

punk

This score might be the first score in many years (decades) to be truly deserving of a best ORIGINAL score nomination.

-Erik-

What an odd -and very enjoyable- beast this is!
    Thank for pointing this out, Erik. Would never have stumbled on this otherwise.

My pleasure!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. NP: Starship Troopers (1997) - Basil Poledouris

I have been exited about this de luxe expansion from the start and now that I have listened to it two times I am even more so. This score profits from the expansion enormously. That it is one of Poledouris' very best scores is of course easily discernible from the original album. Yet the original album assembles all the power house cues and in its massiveness it was often a bit much for me. Now the expanded album adds the quieter moments which make the listening experience much more balanced.
    I also want to point out the booklet with a loving address by Robert Townson and informative liner notes by Jeff Bond. For me this is one of the releases of the year so far.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. NP: Creature From The Black Lagoon - Hans J. Salter

Lots of peril here. And a great example of the use of blaring brass phrases to signal the monster's presence. Sound quality on this 15-minute suite from Trunk Records isn't the best but the film's a classic and it's good to have some representation of the score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. NP: Wavelength - Tangerine Dream

An enjoyable listen as a synth album, not so much as a film score. It sounds quite broad stroked with little of the nuances that other synth-heavy film composers can bring to their scores.

I am no expert on Tangerine Dream but I believe that some of their tracks for film are taken from non-film soundtrack albums?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. NP: Mr. Atlas - Terry Plumeri

What a great little score this one is! I don't remember it being so good.

A strong, bold main theme for the Titan, Atlas, is the most memorable part of this score. But Plumeri gives the score as a whole some excellent pieces. It's a nice homely score, though some of the harmonica featured on the album is only just the right side of listenable (I don't much like harmonica in film scores).
  8. NP: Predator 2 - Alan Silvestri

Great action scoring with some excellent set-piece tracks. And all rounded off with one of the best end credit suites you'll find.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2016
    NP: AUTISM IN LOVE (Mac Quayle)

Love this; gorgeous, lofty textures. One of the highlights of the year for me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone

I had forgotten how good this is. It's really bloody good.
  9. Southall wrote
    Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone

I had forgotten how good this is. It's really bloody good.

The Mission suite was my introduction to that score, and it still rivals the original album recording for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Rush Hour Lalo Schifrin

I guess this would be considered racist these days.
  10. NP: Predator 2 - Alan Silvestri

Finishing off the rest of the score that I didn't have time to listen to yesterday.
  11. NP: Captain Blood - Erich Wolfgang Korngold

Am I correct in thinking that there's only a suite of tracks available from this score, OST or re-recording? I am not familiar with the Naxos suite as what I am listening to is the André Previn-conducted suite - which, I seem to recall, isn't highly regarded.
  12. NP: Il Primo Incarico - Donatello Pisanello

Chiefly written for small ensemble including acoustic guitar and cello, Pisanello's score is tinged with sadness and has a couple of cracking themes I think are worth checking out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2016
    NP: PEOPLE LIKE US (A.R. Rahman)

Rahman shows he can do softspoken, American dramas as much as any American. I really like this one, although the film itself looks kinda cheesy.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. NP: Rear Window - David Shire

Drawn most to Shire's tension and drama cues on this score. Definitely a superior TV movie score.
  14. NP: Madame Bovary - Miklós Rózsa

A 40-minute re-recording suite from the baton of Elmer Bernstein. I like the mix of the darker tracks with the more romantic moments. Though, as with a lot of these type of suites, I am not so keen on (what are probably) the source music (e.g., the suite of dance pieces).
  15. NP: Joe Versus The Volcano - Georges Delerue

I remember disliking this film with a passion when it was released, and Delerue's score didn't help with feeling better about it. Not sure I like the rest of the score much overall but there's a very good theme at the score's centre
  16. Hoosiers - Jerry Goldsmith

I strongly disliked this the first time I heard it. The pep, the cheesy theme for the court scenes, the bounce effects worst of all. But I have a dear fondness for it now. smile
  17. SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO - Naoki Sato

Just a really solid score, showcasing Sato's skills for action and adventure in a way I haven't heard in any other Sato score.
  18. Thor wrote
    NP: PEOPLE LIKE US (A.R. Rahman)

Rahman shows he can do softspoken, American dramas as much as any American. I really like this one, although the film itself looks kinda cheesy.

I like that one, too. There's one cue in particular that I remember really enjoying, though I'd have to look it up to remember the name of it.
    FalkirkBairn wrote

NP: Joe Versus The Volcano - Georges Delerue

I remember disliking this film with a passion when it was released, and Delerue's score didn't help with feeling better about it. Not sure I like the rest of the score much overall but there's a very good theme at the score's centre

That score has a great theme!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2016
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Joe Versus The Volcano - Georges Delerue

Absolutely love it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2016
    BFG John Williams

A finely crafted score, but all a bit flowery for me. I wish Spielberg would stop making films for his kids, and start making films the rest of us give a shit about.
  19. Lincoln and Bridge of Spies were kids' films?
  20. NP: Unnatural - Edwin Wendler

The interesting textures, soundscapes and orchestrations make this largely non-thematic score interesting to listen to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2016
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Lincoln and Bridge of Spies were kids' films?

Ditto!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!