• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2016
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Lincoln and Bridge of Spies were kids' films?

Did I say they were?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Is Bridge of Spies worth watching?

Saw Lincoln which is equal to Warren Beatty's Reds on the bored into another dimension scale.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, it is not. I had a positive reaction when I first saw it, due to its performances from Hanks and Rylance, but on further reflection I think I was high. It is quite boring. People with colds sitting in rooms. Then a scene on a bridge, and everything turns out fine.

John Williams didn't miss out on much. Thank the Force he did Star Wars instead.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Okay. I'll not go out of my way to watch it, there's always "better" films to catch up on.

I'd like Spielberg to take on a superhero film and at least 90% of that reason would be to get a JW superhero score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote

I'd like Spielberg to take on a superhero film and at least 90% of that reason would be to get a JW superhero score.

Great idea! Wouldn't that be an awesome thing! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2016 edited
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the last time JW was connected to a superhero film was Ang Lee's HULK, right?

Then it was confirmed as Mychael Danna before Danny Elfman took over the finished product.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

Saw Lincoln which is equal to Warren Beatty's Reds on the bored into another dimension scale.

I thought Bridge of Spies was a real solid Cold War thriller. It's not great but it's not as bad as Steven makes it out to be. Wonderful performances, great music.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's well made to be sure, Spielberg knows how to direct the fuck out of a film (even one mostly set in rooms where nothing much happens). But will this be the sort of thing that will attract new generations of Spielberg fans? Nope!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Now You See Me 2 Brian Tyler

We've hardly been as lucky as last year in terms of scores, but this is my favourite so far. Tyler's never been better.

Still, I do hope the coming blockbusters are saving the best for last. I have high hopes for Desplat's Star Wars score.
  1. The Secret Life of Pets - Alexandre Desplat

Meh, like Zootopia of Giacchino, this one does little for me. All over the place and hardly entertaining. Then again, I'm no fan of Desplat so it might just be me smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Hans Zimmer - Spanglish

I forgot how good this one is! I think it's some of his best orchestral writing alongside Da Vinci Code (no synths to be heard on this one), the last track is a beauty and it's a corker of a theme. Heartfelt, small-scale, purely orchestral (though without brass) and with some beautiful guitar writing.

After getting some praise in reviews this score went totally under the radar. Same thing happened with Frost/Nixon, sadly, another very good Hans Zimmer score that got some recognition but later was flushed under the blockbusters.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2016 edited
    Steven wrote
    BFG John Williams

A finely crafted score, but all a bit flowery for me. I wish Spielberg would stop making films for his kids, and start making films the rest of us give a shit about.

He should go back to making films that make grown ups feel like kids again. Nobody does that thing better than him.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2016
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    The Secret Life of Pets - Alexandre Desplat

Meh, like Zootopia of Giacchino, this one does little for me. All over the place and hardly entertaining. Then again, I'm no fan of Desplat so it might just be me smile

Any score with so much mickey mousing is not for me (zootopia neither wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Spanglish

I forgot how good this one is! I think it's some of his best orchestral writing alongside Da Vinci Code (no synths to be heard on this one), the last track is a beauty and it's a corker of a theme. Heartfelt, small-scale, purely orchestral (though without brass) and with some beautiful guitar writing.

After getting some praise in reviews this score went totally under the radar. Same thing happened with Frost/Nixon, sadly, another very good Hans Zimmer score that got some recognition but later was flushed under the blockbusters.

Love it, absolutely love it. He let himself go out free in this kind of little movies and the results were always delightful. Sadly they don't allow (or don't have the budget for) such music in these little films anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Only if you have Spielberg nostalgia. Enjoyed it at the cinema myself, for that very reason but wouldn't revisit. Quite an enjoyable score too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the last time JW was connected to a superhero film was Ang Lee's HULK, right?

Then it was confirmed as Mychael Danna before Danny Elfman took over the finished product.

Ugh. Hulk. What a tool. No wonder all of the Hulk films are flops (And avengers series of films is not much better, imo). There was another Hulk film that had a mediocre craig armstrong score too, i recall?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Btw is Lincoln as bad as they say? I heard it's a completely pointless and meaningless film and i avoided it completely so far (whilst i've seen every other spbg film so far apart this and bfg)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer hated it, I loved it.
    It IS fairly slow moving, with a great amount of "speechifying", but I really rather like that.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I liked it. Lincoln is far from pointless and meaningless, it's a fine film for what it is. But it's quite a slog to sit through in one sitting. It's more like a two and half hour play with great performances, most notably Daniel Day Lewis and Tommy Lee Jones. Not a film for cinema and popcorn, but some excellent scenes worth watching.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    i've seen every other spbg film so far

Even Sugarland Express? That doesn't strike me as your kind of film! biggrin (I haven't seen it myself, truth be told. Jaws is where it all begins for me.)
  3. Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Spanglish

Love it, absolutely love it. He let himself go out free in this kind of little movies and the results were always delightful. Sadly they don't allow (or don't have the budget for) such music in these little films anymore.

Normally they probably wouldn't have it for something like Spanglish, which is the kind of cinema that is dying in this time (the adult middle-budget cinema is waning today), but it being a film for his very best friend as it was (Spanglish was the reason, as Hans told me, he quit Kingdom of Heaven), he probably preferred to do it for less money than usual and if James Brooks WANTED an orchestra, he got it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer hated it, I loved it.
    It IS fairly slow moving, with a great amount of "speechifying", but I really rather like that.

I'm all for "speechifying" ( 12 Angry Men, Judgement At Nuremberg, Inherit The Wind, Lifeboat and more... ) but yeah, I hated Lincoln, it was drrrrrrripping in profound fucking worthiness, fucking hated it.
  4. Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote

Only if you have Spielberg nostalgia. Enjoyed it at the cinema myself, for that very reason but wouldn't revisit. Quite an enjoyable score too.

I enjoyed Bridge of Spies for the reasons Thor would (and I think did). It's a great visual experience, with a huge beginning sequence done completely without any score AND relevant dialogue ("Upstairs!") and quite tense and well-organized at that. Kinda got back to his roots with that (though ET's opening of course was exquisitely scored, it was still largely a sequence told by visuals). I also liked the match cuts sometimes with nicely humorous results (a courtroom's "All arise!" leading to a shot of kids in a classroom going through a nuclear drill). More small-scale than the typical Spielberg thriller, it was still a decently made film and I heavily enjoyed it. Probably my favourite Spielberg film since Munich. So I would recommend it for the visuals and performances, including a really strong Tom Hanks.
  5. Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote

Ugh. Hulk. What a tool. No wonder all of the Hulk films are flops (And avengers series of films is not much better, imo). There was another Hulk film that had a mediocre craig armstrong score too, i recall?

Armstrong's Hulk score is far from mediocre, it's one of the best superhero scores of the past decade! That octave-jumping theme is absolutely perfect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Quantum of Solace - David Arnold

I really miss Arnold's action/writings. Thomas Newman's Bond scores were just boring!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJ. Flaherty
    Apollo 13 - James Horner

First listen.
    I like it.

...wait. Ethereal vocals! slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    FIRST LISTEN???

Where have you been hiding?!!

Man, I wish I could listen to Apollo 13 for the first time (again).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    First listens are overrated. True appreciation comes with repeated listens. No first listen beats the warming embrace of a familiar piece of music.

I have spoken.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    That's true to an extent but you must remember the first time you heard a particular melody, phrase or pattern in a film score (or any media for that matter) and thought, fuck, that's good. No repeat listen can match that experience. Happens less these days, admittedly.

Same with film in general. There are so many films I wish I could erase my memory of and watch fresh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    LSH wrote
    you must remember [a time when you] thought, fuck, that's good. No repeat listen can match that experience

Hmm, I'm struggling to think of an example? I'm sure there must be one, but in general I prefer familiarity over initial listens. The appreciation I have for, say, Star Wars today far exceeds the appreciation I had when I was but a wee spuddling.

I suppose that makes me boring, but... there it is. I like the familiar!