• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2016 edited
    Well, yes, some music can 'mature' in your appreciation - Star Wars is an example I agree with. Williams' writing was almost too complex for me as a film score 'beginner' but is now deeply rewarding and grows with each listen. Maybe it's just me but sometimes I hear something for the first time and it just fuckin blows me away. And those are the scores/films that I need to be careful not to over watch/listen.

Using the Apollo 13 example, it's a score I listen to regularly and I love it. But the first time I heard it (in the film) was extraordinary. It really did bring me to tears. And I was only 12!
  1. Steven wrote
    LSH wrote
    you must remember [a time when you] thought, fuck, that's good. No repeat listen can match that experience

Hmm, I'm struggling to think of an example? I'm sure there must be one, but in general I prefer familiarity over initial listens. The appreciation I have for, say, Star Wars today far exceeds the appreciation I had when I was but a wee spuddling.

For me the first listen effect is especially strong with the nerd-fanboy mainstays. I'd love to hear "The Riders of Rohan" for the first time again, for example.

LSH wrote
    Where have you been hiding?!!

I'm very particular when it comes to James Horner. Certain scores of his, 90 percent of the film music world adores them, but I run for cover under something more stoic.
  2. Craig Armstrong - The Incredible Hulk

Thanks, Edmund, for having me finally listen to it! I am updating my knowledge of Craig Armstrong very slowly. It's a really cool score, even if a bit MV/RCP at times and of course the 2 CD is a bit too much. But it's still very good!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. "Some Kind of Wonderful" (the rejected score)

This is my third time listening to Ira Newborn's score and only the second of those that I gave it a serious listen.

I love the dreamy synth work which has that 1980's vibe that is missed today. The two or three electric guitar tracks, not so much. The upbeat ones with a drumkit are enjoyable and has a '80's sound.

Hopefully some label will issue this one day so others can hear it. Or at least one day Newborn has a website and puts samples up.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. PawelStroinski wrote
    Craig Armstrong - The Incredible Hulk

Thanks, Edmund, for having me finally listen to it! I am updating my knowledge of Craig Armstrong very slowly. It's a really cool score, even if a bit MV/RCP at times and of course the 2 CD is a bit too much. But it's still very good!

The 2-CD album is nice to have but yeah, overkill as a listening experience. A lot of Bourne influence in there for sure ("The Flower") but it has that Armstrong sense of drama and as I said, the octave motif is absolutely spot-on and just screams "Hulk smash!" punk
  5. Yeah, the string writing is definitely very Craig Armstrong.

Jessica Curry - Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

The album may be a bit on the long side, but it is a beautiful choral-orchestral (with a minimal electronic presence in one track) score with some relevant lyrics. No brass, just strings, winds and choir, with a Vaughan Williams/Elgar inspiration. Demetris will, I think, love it. Very heartfelt performance too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2016
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote
    i've seen every other spbg film so far

Even Sugarland Express? That doesn't strike me as your kind of film! biggrin (I haven't seen it myself, truth be told. Jaws is where it all begins for me.)

No, indeed. I shall add: every other major spbg film wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the last time JW was connected to a superhero film was Ang Lee's HULK, right?

Then it was confirmed as Mychael Danna before Danny Elfman took over the finished product.

Ugh. Hulk. What a tool. No wonder all of the Hulk films are flops (And avengers series of films is not much better, imo). There was another Hulk film that had a mediocre craig armstrong score too, i recall?

Armstrong's Hulk score is far from mediocre, it's one of the best superhero scores of the past decade! That octave-jumping theme is absolutely perfect.

It's got some nice standaout cues but overall it's a repetitive overkill, imo. If you select 5-6 cues out of the whole thing, you have a small sum of good music.
  6. I have a 45-minute playlist from that score that works wonders. It's my favorite "album" from the entire MCU so far.
  7. Care to share? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I have a 45-minute playlist from that score that works wonders. It's my favorite "album" from the entire MCU so far.

Pls Share!
  8. PawelStroinski wrote
    Yeah, the string writing is definitely very Craig Armstrong.

Jessica Curry - Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

The album may be a bit on the long side, but it is a beautiful choral-orchestral (with a minimal electronic presence in one track) score with some relevant lyrics. No brass, just strings, winds and choir, with a Vaughan Williams/Elgar inspiration. Demetris will, I think, love it. Very heartfelt performance too.

This is one of my favorite albums from last year. The more I listen to it, the more beautiful it becomes to me.

I just finished listening to Steven Price's THE HUNT. It's very strong, though it does go on too long. The first disc is the stronger of the two, other than the first two tracks on the second disc ("The Blue Whale" is astoundingly good).
  9. 1. The Arctic (2:47)
    2. Main Title (2:39)
    3. The Flower (2:50)
    4. Favela Escape (3:36)
    5. That is the Target (5:34)
    6. Bruce Goes Home (1:25) (for the quote of Joe Harnell's "Lonely Man" theme)
    7. They're Here (3:07)
    8. Give Him Everything You've Got (6:07)
    9. I Can't (2:15)
    10. Abomination Alley (3:56)
    11. NYC Cab Ride (1:17)
    12. Sterns' Lab (4:17)
    13. Harlem Brawl (3:51)
    14. Are They Dead? (2:40)
    15. Hulk Smash (2:25)

Total Time: 48:36

You can optionally append the "Hulk Theme" and "Bruce and Betty" theme suites to bring it up to nearly an hour, but personally I find the bulk of the score to be more interesting than the dedicated arrangements, so I skipped them to minimize redundancy. You still do get a bit of repetition (especially going from "The Flower" to "Favela Escape", but I like both tracks too much to cut either and I don't want to lose chronological order), and it's more heavy on the action than anything else, but it's definitely a leaner and meaner listen than the full two CDs. Let me know what you guys think!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks Ed smile
  10. NP: Questa Specie d'Amore - Ennio Morricone

At times like these scores such as this raise the spirits. Track after track of beautiful music. "Roma Baldracca" is one of my favourite Morricone pieces.

(And I just want to keep afloat the idea of talking about music.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2016
    NP : READY WHEN YOU ARE J.B. - John Barry

Brilliant album, a shame JB didn't do more albums of this ilk, taking obscure tracks and making them commercially available with unique re-arrangements.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. It can't be 2 days since anybody listened to anything?

NP: Edward Scissorhands - Danny Elfman

Not listened to this for a while. Enjoying hearing early Elfman's 'fantasy sound' in all its glory.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  12. NP: The Abyss - Alan Silvestri

The action scoring is too close to what he does in Predator and is quite distracting. But, Silvestri's quieter, tension-generating passages are much more effective.
  13. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Edward Scissorhands - Danny Elfman
    Enjoying hearing early Elfman's 'fantasy sound' in all its glory.

Still the best example of the sound, in my opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2016
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It can't be 2 days since anybody listened to anything?

Weirdly enough it was. sad
    I'm too busy these days.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  14. Too busy replying to off topic matters I think. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's Trump's fault! And Islam's!
    Wait, sorry, what?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  15. Henry Jackman - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

This assignment was, at best, controversial. The Uncharted series, essentially some of the best console games I ever played, had Greg Edmonson writing some brilliant music for it in the first trilogy. The games, to those who didn't play, are action adventures about a treasure hunter/thief called Nathan Drake on trail for legendary treasure ranging from El Dorado to Shangri-La, Atlantis of the Sands and eventually the pirate utopia called Libertalia.

Edmonson wrote some great stuff indeed, including the franchise's musical theme, called Nate's Theme, which is a great sort-of fanfare for strings and brass. There aren't too many woodwinds, quite a bit of ethnic writing (Among Thieves', which is part two, erhu writing is downright exquisite) and a sense of romantic adventure (the string writing!) throughout.

And suddenly (probably partly due to the creator's, Amy Hennig's, departure from the company) Edmonson is gone and the hiring of, of all people, Henry Jackman brought a lot of controversy even among game composers who used the opportunity to criticize film composers being hired for games. So what Edmonson had earlier film experience and probably it was Firefly (of which Hennig is a huge fan of) which got him the gig, but the discussion was strong on Twitter.

While not better than parts two and three, I do think that Jackman's score is slightly or even a bit more better than part one. Wholly orchestral (though only with some ethnic woodwinds rather than orchestral, which is not far from what Edmonson did in the first place), it is an RCP score due to the ostinati, but mostly it is a bona fide (if restrained) adventure score harkening sometimes at James Newton Howard and the anthemic/action bits are more firmly rooted in the more melodic Media Ventures sound than the recent Remote Control outings. Cut to the Chase is very good and I think The Twelve Towers is some of the best material of Jackman's career.

Not a very thematic (and a more somber, decidedly non-heroic twist on Nate's Theme is recurrent in the score, moreso even than in Edmonson's own scores) score, but definitely quite melodic and harmonious, a bit on the long side. For Better and Worse, a delicate and simple love theme works wonders in a very reflective moment in the gameplay.

Generally, some of the best material Jackman ever wrote. I hope he'll now get dramas and comedies to develop more of a personal style. But definitely he can write for an orchestra.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Huntsman - Winter's War - James Newton Howard

The score is very much like the movie, some good moments, but not enough to buffer the uninteresting stuff. The best track for me, is the end title song, Castle, with arrangement by Mr Howard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJ. Flaherty
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2016 edited
    Apollo 13 - James Horner

It's working for me. Love the timing in "All Systems Go."

And the celebratory second half of "Re-entry and Splashdown" sounds like Morricone!
    In a good way. This is not an accusation.
  16. Cinema Paradiso - Ennio Morricone

Lovely.
    Listening to Morricone, I feel like he's capturing a height of feeling that's many, many registers above that of my daily life. (Certainly higher than what's going on in the world events thread at the moment. smile )
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2016 edited
    cool
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Apollo 13 - James Horner

It's working for me. Love the timing in "All Systems Go."

And the celebratory second half of "Re-entry and Splashdown" sounds like Morricone!
    In a good way. This is not an accusation.

Really? If you hear that, that's great, but to me it sounds like a classic Horner 'resolution' cue. Beautiful.

Both cues are amazing and compilation worthy. I also love Master Alarm, a superb exercise in suspense. Uses the same couple of motifs over it's 3min duration but never sounds boring. He even employs his trademark 'ticking' texture around half way through, which is a really clever device as it is the only element which clearly outlines the 4/4 time signature and, when it arrives, actually gives the illusion of the piece speeding up when in fact it maintains the same tempo throughout. He truly was an expert in this area.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Leviathan - Jerry Goldsmith

End title piece is a real favourite.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2016
    Southall wrote
    Leviathan - Jerry Goldsmith

End title piece is a real favourite.

For me it's the main title, love it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2016
    NP : GHOSTBUSTERS - Theodore Shapiro

Well, this took my interest, I look forward to listening to this again, I'm impressed.