• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2016
    Timmer wrote
    NP : GHOSTBUSTERS - Theodore Shapiro

Well, this took my interest, I look forward to listening to this again, I'm impressed.

I took a listen after I heard some good feedback, but alas it's exactly the kind of thing I'm NOT into these days. sad
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You've just given it a great endorsement Thunderer wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I listened to some of it, and came away thoroughly indifferent. Then I listened to Bernstein's score...because it has themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2016 edited
    Steven wrote
    I listened to some of it, and came away thoroughly indifferent. Then I listened to Bernstein's score...because it has themes.

Not a big fan of Bernstein's either, beyond the quirky, jazzy-like theme. The best part of that film's music was the indelible title song.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Another defacto ringing endorsement from Thor.

Two roads diverged in the woods. I chose the one Thor wasn't on. ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Rudy Jerry Goldsmith

Much unlike me, not a moment of despair or cynicism to be found. Pure joy. I'm usually not in the mood for happy-dappy shit these days, but when done right, when it's from the heart, it's uplifting rather than annoying. I prefer Hoosiers, but this makes for a better background listen.

Did anyone top Goldsmith for sports scores?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    The best part of that film's music was the indelible title song.

I might have to agree. It has the biggest impact, it's survived as well as the film has in terms of popularity. As great as Bernstein's score is, what we all remember first is Ray Parker Jr.'s song.
  2. NP: Lo Chiamvano Trinitá (1970) - Franco Micalizzi

aka "They Call Me Trinity" / "Die linke und die rechte Hand des Teufels"

Fantastic main song, that featured in "Django Unchained". In the 30 min score it is uses rather liberally. Still a great example of Italian western film music from that era.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    The best part of that film's music was the indelible title song.

I might have to agree. It has the biggest impact, it's survived as well as the film has in terms of popularity. As great as Bernstein's score is, what we all remember first is Ray Parker Jr.'s song.

Godamned funky riff just keeps on giving. bhangra
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, but given your emoticon of choice, it's haram. angry knight
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    shame Funky = chicken
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Where do you find these emoticons?

Fuck.

Nom nom nom
  3. NP: The Living and The Dead - The Insects

Eerie and atmospheric score from Tim Norfolk and Bob Locke for the BBC drama currently airing. The opening song/theme is a stand-out track and the subsequent 17 tracks are a mix of tension-building soundscapes, delicate folk-influenced pieces and songs.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2016
    Well, each time I return I say to myself "That's it! I'm back! I'll start writing again! I missed them!" and each time the world turns around... Hmmmm... I guess it has to do with the stars!
    NP: Game of Thrones Season Six ~ Ramin DjawadI
    It's been one of my favorites the past few weeks! I can't decide what I like the most about it!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  4. Superman - John Williams, RSNO re-recording

First time listening to this re-recording. Terrific!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2016 edited
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Superman - John Williams, RSNO re-recording

First time listening to this re-recording. Terrific!

It really is!

punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. NP: The Rocketeer (1991) - James Horner

The album presentation from CD 2 of the recent Intrada set. I have to re-familiarize myself with the album before diving into the full score tomorrow. What a fine score!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2016
    NP: Revelation - Neal Acree

A game score for a Chinese RPG, apparently. It's VERY good! Of course massively imbued with Chinese influences, but thoroughly approachable and enjoyable. Melodic, thematic and BIG! Even if it reminds me of many of these Chinese medieval battle films that flooded the market some five-ten years back, it's still really great stuff!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. I like the main theme and some of the more sweeping tracks, but the action music is very standard-sounding to these ears (and pretty sampled-fakeish in places). Good score, but after all the hullabaloo over its non-release I was expecting more, to be honest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2016
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    (and pretty sampled-fakeish in places).

Whatever gave you that idea? confused
    Tge score is fully orchestral (witness the booklet's liner notes)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I like REVELATION (never played the game, nor will I ever), but the album is MUCH too long. My usual criticism, you say, and yes, that's right. However, in this case the music REALLY deserves to be heard in a more succinct arrangement.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. NP: The Girlfriends - Dimitri Shostakovich

An early Naxos re-recording of a 1936 Russian film. Quite a downbeat score this one, with string quartet, piano and brass playing the major role. Most striking though is the excellent choral tracks of - I assume - traditional songs.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. NP: Im Kampf Mit Dem Berge - Paul Hindemith

A strong and dramatic 15-minute suite of music from this drama-documentary from the early 1920s.
  9. NP: Poltergeist - Jerry Goldsmith

One of Goldsmith's (many) greatest achievements and one of my favourite scores, full stop.
  10. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Poltergeist - Jerry Goldsmith

One of Goldsmith's (many) greatest achievements and one of my favourite scores, full stop.

Good lord, me too. beer

NP, again: Superman
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Revelation - Neal Acree

A game score for a Chinese RPG, apparently. It's VERY good! Of course massively imbued with Chinese influences, but thoroughly approachable and enjoyable. Melodic, thematic and BIG! Even if it reminds me of many of these Chinese medieval battle films that flooded the market some five-ten years back, it's still really great stuff!

Absolutely loved that one. Full of themes smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavroula wrote
    Well, each time I return I say to myself "That's it! I'm back! I'll start writing again! I missed them!" and each time the world turns around... Hmmmm... I guess it has to do with the stars!
    It's been one of my favorites the past few weeks! I can't decide what I like the most about it!

hey! how are you? welcome back smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  11. NP: The Rocketeer (1991) - James Horner

The C&C presentation from the recent Intrada set. This incarnation of the score relies less on the (beautiful) main theme and so brings out more of the many other qualities of the score. As was to be expected the narrative flow of this version is better than that of the original album. Still the album in itself provides a fine listening experience. With roughly 20 minutes of additional music the expansion isn't overwhelming in terms of quantity. Whoever owns the original album should basically be fine with that.
    The sound of the Intrada set is terrific.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2016 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Stavroula wrote

hey! how are you? welcome back smile

Hello yourself love! I'm fine! You?
    What's the best music to do house chores? Let me think! Something heroic and uplifting and my daddy's favorite (yeah, yeah I'm still my daddy' s girl even though I'm 34).
    NP:Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade ~John Williams

The Grail theme is one of my all time favorites!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LOST RIVER (Johnny Jewel & various)

One of the finest scores last year, for one of the very best films.
    I am extremely serious.