• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2016
    The Monkey King 2 - Christopher Young

Not as good as the first one, but good. A couple of incredible tracks. The penultimate one might be called "Why I like film music."
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Southall wrote
    Ghostbusters - Theodore Shapiro

Not quite sure I understand the hype for this one.

I guess you've come around on it a bit because you did give it a pretty favorable review?

Not really, it's just that everyone seemed to be going gaga over it, so I was expecting something even better.
  1. Thor wrote
    NP: O APOSTOLO! (Philip Glass)

A 30-minute promo version of the soundtrack with selected tracks. I really like this; it's more accesible and "less" minimalist than most of his other work (maybe it's because he collaborated with two other people on it). But I think this presentation is enough. I understand the full release is much longer.

It is, and has music from other composers. It's a good score overall.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Trek Beyond - Giacchino

I'm enjoying this more with each listen. Having not been sure at first, I like it a lot now.
  2. I'm psyched about that one!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. It's enjoyable as always, but other than the Yorktown theme I'm not sure it offers much new to the musical universe. Certainly the villain material is a disappointment compared to Into Darkness (or Jupiter Ascending, for that matter).
  4. Southall wrote

Me neither. I've heard to cues, one the big finale track, and I don't know what everybody hears in it. Most of it is just barely above the boring bar and some of it sounds generic. And why does everything big have to have an choir thrown at it?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    Southall wrote

Me neither. I've heard to cues, one the big finale track, and I don't know what everybody hears in it. Most of it is just barely above the boring bar and some of it sounds generic. And why does everything [b]big[/i] have to have an orchestra thrown at it?

Yeah, why have music in the movies?! Down with film music!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. I meant "choir". Corrected.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've got two Jerry Goldsmith playlists, "Best of Goldsmith" and "Best of Best of Goldsmith" and tonight I'm shuffling through all 90 glorious minutes of the latter. "Raisuli Attacks" - "The Enterprise" - "Patton March" is not a bad trio of cues to start it off. We might not have new film music this good any more, but we still have this music, and what a treasure it is.
  6. Southall wrote
    I've got two Jerry Goldsmith playlists, "Best of Goldsmith" and "Best of Best of Goldsmith" and tonight I'm shuffling through all 90 glorious minutes of the latter. "Raisuli Attacks" - "The Enterprise" - "Patton March" is not a bad trio of cues to start it off. We might not have new film music this good any more, but we still have this music, and what a treasure it is.

Yea verily.
  7. How long is the "Best of Goldsmith" playlist? I'd imagine it pushes 10 hours or so...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2016
    I have no "Best of Goldsmith" playlist, but I do have a playlist called "Setpieces -- Jerry Goldsmith" where I've picked out various setpiece tracks that are pretty much standalone compositions (and not always the main or end titles). I may have posted it before, but here it is again:

http://celluloidtunes.no/non-website/jerry.jpg
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJ. Flaherty
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2016 edited
    I like that playlist, Thor. Now I want to make one of my own.

[15 minutes later]
    I tried. It's 26 tracks long. Edmund was right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    God of Egypt Marco Beltrami

Still my favourite score of 2016. JNH's theme for The Snowman Huntsman (or whatever the fuck it's called) remains my favourite theme of 2016.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    J. Flaherty wrote
    I like that playlist, Thor. Now I want to make one of my own.

[15 minutes later]
    I tried. It's 26 tracks long. Edmund was right.

Well, there's always 'kill your darlings'. I know there are several more tracks I could have added, but I wanted to have a neat listening experience below 70 minutes (although, to be fair, I have just selected tracks, I've not been able to put them in an order that "makes sense" or makes for best fluidity).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SHUFFLE (Kurt Kuenne)

Never heard of the composer or the film (apparently, it's from a few years ago), but I've played this recent promo quite a few times over the last months. It's an eclectic, but very elegant thriller score. The main theme is quite "Williams-esque".
    I am extremely serious.
  8. SHUFFLE is a very good score: I enjoyed it very much. As you say, quite eclectic and it makes me wonder how it fits into the movie.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Django Unchained - Various Artist

I found this in a shop for a bargain. Anyhow, even as a stand alone compilation this eclectic smorgasbord doesn't work for me. Some beautiful individual cues though.

Tarantino albums have to be taken for what they are -- a collection of individual tracks oozing of "coolness". They rarely work as concept albums.

Exactly. Unlistenable and disjoint outside the films they are written for. Messy on disc as an isolated external listening experience.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    justin boggan wrote
    Southall wrote

Me neither. I've heard to cues, one the big finale track, and I don't know what everybody hears in it. Most of it is just barely above the boring bar and some of it sounds generic. And why does everything big have to have an choir thrown at it?

Man, it's Teddy. When did he ever wrote something truly standout or special or above his norm?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

Still my favourite score of 2016. JNH's theme for The Snowman Huntsman (or whatever the fuck it's called) remains my favourite theme of 2016.

Absolutely love Gods of Egypt, score. Movie is ridiculously laughable crap. But Beltrami's great. One of the very good we have left (from the previous generation of composers that is)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote

Absolutely love Gods of Egypt, score. Movie is ridiculously laughable crap. But Beltrami's great. One of the very good we have left (from the previous generation of composers that is)

Is the film bad/good or just bad/bad?

I agree that the score is outstanding.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. I've not heard enough by him to say for sure. But I do know you've incurred the wrath of FSM's Lokutus now. ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote

Is the film bad/good or just bad/bad?

I agree that the score is outstanding.

I'll just quote for you rt's summary with which i completely agree:

Critics Consensus: Look on Gods of Egypt, ye filmgoers, and despair! Nothing beside remains. Round the decay of this colossal wreck, boundless and bare. The lone and level sands stretch far away. (Apologies to Shelley.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    From the trailer, it looks like a bad video game you don't get to play. But bad video games tend to inspire the better scores, so there's that at least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Tomorrowland Michael Giacchino

A joy. And I love the film too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I am not as enamoured with the score to GODS OF EGYPT as everyone else (some good tracks; otherwise not my cuppa tea), but I have the film in my queue to watch. I was a big Alex Proyas fan once upon a time, but KNOWING was shite and this doesn't look too promising either.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Tomorrowland Michael Giacchino

A joy. And I love the film too.

Both were "tolerable". And for me saying that about a Giacchino score, is an enormous compliment.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    How long is the "Best of Goldsmith" playlist? I'd imagine it pushes 10 hours or so...

Actually only 6.75 hours. I'm quite conservative with these things. Morricone is my only composer playlist that's longer (about 8 hours).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Gods of Egypt (the movie) was a pile of dog shit!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!