• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Laurel and Hardy - LeRoy Shield & Marvin Hatley

Lots of familiar tracks from the duo's short films that seemed to be on repeatedly when I was young. And great renditions from the Dutch ensemble, The Beau Hunks.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Steven wrote
    I've changed my mind. It's a great score.

...Jordi?
  3. "Star Trek: The Next Generation"

My own personal selection, edit, combining, even layering, or cues from the Ron Jones box from FSM. Put into something of a listening order.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2016
    NP: EVERYBODY'S GONE TO THE RAPTURE (Jessica Curry)

Soooooo good. Very sad about Curry's health predicament, though. Gives an extra "tinge" to this music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jason Bored JP & DB

Tried again, but there's nothing redeeming about this. What the hell happened?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : JASON BOURNE - John Powell & David Buckley

I'm giving this a second try and it's a struggle.

This is a complete bore-fest.

What the hell happened indeed!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In fact I've had enough, time for something I know is bloody good.

NP : CONAN THE DESTROYER - Basil Poledouris

The Tadlow rerecording. Fucking bliss, the other rubbish is instantly banished and forgotten. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Speaking of reliable classics:

NP: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) - Ennio Morricone
    The LP program distilled from the expanded edition.

The main theme is among the pieces of music that first made me aware of film music when I was still in my infancy. The screeching woman (that sounds nothing like a coyote) gives the theme an anarchic touch that never ceases to delight me.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    who is geeky enough to see the link here and why?

biggrin

I might have said "Mary, Mary, (Quite contrary) wept", but the essence would roughly be the same.

NP: Starship Troopers - Basil Poledouris

Thye Varese 2-CD release.
    shocked Oh! OH! OH!
    This is MUCH better than the Acme Millenium 2001 version! I honestly thought I'd not discover much beyond the versions I already have, but the flow of the pieces in this release is much more coherent. And the sound quality is superb! It really does both the film, story and Poledouris' efforts great justice!
    What a fantastic release!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Thor wrote

Soooooo good. Very sad about Curry's health predicament, though. Gives an extra "tinge" to this music.

I really enjoy that score. I've not heard anything about her health, though. What's going on?
  6. Martijn wrote

NP: Starship Troopers - Basil Poledouris

The Varese 2-CD release.

I honestly thought I'd not discover much beyond the versions I already have, but the flow of the pieces in this release is much more coherent. And the sound quality is superb! It really does both the film, story and Poledouris' efforts great justice!
    What a fantastic release!

Yes, indeed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote
    Thor wrote

I really enjoy that score. I've not heard anything about her health, though. What's going on?

http://www.thechineseroom.co.uk/blog/bl … inese-room
    I am extremely serious.
  7. NP: Game of Thrones Season 6(2016) - Ramin Djawadi

I have fallen deeply in love with this score. Probably my favourite TV score since Trevor Morris Season 4 "Tudors" score.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: VERTICAL LIMIT (James Newton Howard)

I acquired this just last year, in preparation for my 'mountain score' episode. Well, it's definitely a keeper -- classic JNH.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Love that score.
  8. Good score, but for me it pales in comparison to similar JNH adventure type stuff from the surrounding years. Just doesn't seem quite as robust or memorable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There are some good cues missing from the official album, but I agree with Edmund here. It's as good as a 'good' score can be, but it never becomes great. (But it's a hell of a lot better than the average action/adventure score.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Force Awakens - JW

Insanely good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2016
    Timmer wrote
    NP : JASON BOURNE - John Powell & David Buckley

I'm giving this a second try and it's a struggle.

This is a complete bore-fest.

What the hell happened indeed!

modern film music happened
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2016 edited
    The irony is Powell's Bourne scores were among the scores that started the trend. It's come around on itself like a boomerang, except it wasn't gracefully caught, it just hit them in the face.
  9. I'd rather say Paul Greengrass happened. The fact that he got such a brilliant score out of Powell for Supremacy seems like a fluke before he started realizing that he's happiest when he can endlessly tinker around with his composers. Then he tossed half of Ultimatum out in favor of tracked cues, tortured the hell out of Powell on Green Zone, burned bridges to the entire Remote Control crew on Captain Phillips and now here we are. I'm not exactly surprised and I rather doubt Powell had a whole lot to do with that score (it doesn't really sound like him other than the carried over stuff from the previous ones). That leaves Buckley to paper over the cracks with the most generic post-Bourne modern thriller boilerplate imaginable. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2016
    Yeah, I've heard nothing but bad things about Greengrass's approach to film music. It's hardly surprising given his gritty, documentary-like style. Noticeable film music is the antithesis to his vision.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2016
    Abzu - Austin Wintory

Well, anyone who loved Journey as much as I did is going to be in heaven again with this, its spiritual successor. Beautiful.
  10. NP: Broken Arrow - Hugo Friedhofer

My go-to album when I want to listen to scores called Broken Arrow.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Abzu - Austin Wintory

Well, anyone who loved Journey as much as I did is going to be in heaven again with this, its spiritual successor. Beautiful.

One of the best scores of the year! Wintory has two titles in my Top 10 already! The guy is unbelievable! He, along with Chad Cannon (and if Beltrami delivers the good on Ben-Hur) are having superb years!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  11. NP: Quest For Fire - Philippe Sarde

I am not as keen on this one as some who frequent this forum. Sometimes it's very good - e.g., the choral portions - but I think that it demands the listener's full attention to really appreciate the ideas Sarde's trying to get across.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Quest For Fire - Philippe Sarde

I am not as keen on this one as some who frequent this forum. Sometimes it's very good - e.g., the choral portions - but I think that it demands the listener's full attention to really appreciate the ideas Sarde's trying to get across.

That's ME, love this score, brilliant from start to finish.
  12. I know! A lot of it sounds to me like the logical extension of Nascimbene's One Million Years B.C., which is a good thing in my book. I do find lots of segments of excellence, I am just not quite there yet when it comes to the album as a whole.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Broken Arrow - Hugo Friedhofer

My go-to album when I want to listen to scores called Broken Arrow.

biggrin applause
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote

Amazingly beautiful music..indeed. Very touching. What happened with her health?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.