• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2016
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: EVERYBODY'S GONE TO THE RAPTURE (Jessica Curry)

Soooooo good. Very sad about Curry's health predicament, though. Gives an extra "tinge" to this music.

Amazingly beautiful music..indeed. Very touching. What happened with her health?

Read the link I posted above. She talks about it there. She has some form of progressive, degenerative disease.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Very sad. Als-kinda syndrome?

n.p. the new new bourne - by Powell and Buckley. Oh it's pretty bad. But how are you sure it's Buckley's fault? i mean it could possibly be, yes. But this also sounds like standard bored powell in quick cash-in mode too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    n.p. the new new bourne - by Powell and Buckley. Oh it's pretty bad. But how are you sure it's Buckley's fault? i mean it could possibly be, yes. But this also sounds like standard bored powell in quick cash-in mode too.

Largely because even a standard Powell score isn't this bland, and partly because Buckley is given credit on the front cover of the album. That's rather telling.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    NP: Birkebeinerne - Gaute Storaas

This is really terrific stuff!
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2016 edited
    ..... Mogens?
    shocked Mogens??? shocked

I thought you belonged in a museum.... shocked
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2016
    Well... I sorta do. I work in one biggrin
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
  1. NP: Ward 13 - Christopher Gordon

Excellent little animated film where Gordon manages to distill all that's great in film music down to a 12-minute suite of expressive and exciting music.

View the film here: https://youtu.be/LDcfCmb7W8w
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. NP: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - Morey / Churchill / Harline / Smith

Sometimes random shuffling brings up a title I have but very rarely listen to. Some excellent songs and a very solid orchestral score for this groundbreaking animated feature.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: NERVE (Rob Simonsen & White Sea)

New film coming out soon (an early promo, this). This is excellent! I can't get enough of these gorgeous, 80s retro synth scores! Another highlight of the year for me.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I hear covers (good and bad) of 80s hits at every corner recently. Also new synth based pop that sounds much like New Wave.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    I hear covers (good and bad) of 80s hits at every corner recently. Also new synth based pop that sounds much like New Wave.

I love it!
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Batman - Danny Elfman

A powerhouse score. Play this one loud.
    It has aged, for me, extremely well.

May time be as dear to you as fortune, Hans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: ORI AND THE BLIND FOREST - Gareth Coker

Gorgeous, really dig this. It's the sound of it I love the most. Sounds like Avatar filtered through Thomas Newman and Harry Gregson-Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    LSH wrote

Gorgeous, really dig this. It's the sound of it I love the most. Sounds like Avatar filtered through Thomas Newman and Harry Gregson-Williams.

Never got the fascination for this, to be honest. It seemed to be a fan favourite when it came out.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    LSH wrote

Never got the fascination for this, to be honest. It seemed to be a fan favourite when it came out.

You never got the fascination because it is a fan favourite. If no one liked it, you would have loved it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    On the drive to work I played Pacific Rim 2.... oh, sorry... I meant suicide Squad.

Price hasn't written anything as good as The Hunt and this is yet another generic effort from one of the most over rated composers working today.

Having said that, there is a cue called "Harley and Joker" which is quite good.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. The BFG - The Man

When you get down to it, this really is as dull as everyone says. It's not without Williams's irresistible charm, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Dull isn't a word I'd assigning to a score with orchestrations THAT good.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom John Williams

'The Mine Car Chase' is essentially a concert action cue. Y'don't get that very often.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJ. Flaherty
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2016 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Dull isn't a word I'd assigning to a score with orchestrations THAT good.

-Erik-

They are good. No argument here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    John Williams' Classic Film Scores: Close Encounters/Star Wars Charles Gerhardt

I LOVE this album. It's my go-to album for the first Star Wars score, my go-to version of Leia's theme, and my go-to version of the Close Encounters Suite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    LSH wrote

You never got the fascination because it is a fan favourite. If no one liked it, you would have loved it.

-Erik-

No, I just didn't care for it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    John Williams' Classic Film Scores: Close Encounters/Star Wars Charles Gerhardt

It's my go-to album for the first Star Wars score,

Not for me. Not one of Gerhardt's best conducted outings.

Steven wrotemy go-to version of Leia's theme,

Yes! So much passion in those strings.

Steven wroteand my go-to version of the Close Encounters Suite.

Hellsyeah!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    LSH wrote

-Erik-

No, I just didn't care for it.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Not my fault my brain likes things that most other people here don't (and vice versa).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's just part of your M.O. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Although I agree Thor is a raving hipster metrosexual loon, I didn't care for this one either. Pleasant, but unengaging (for me).
    •  
      CommentAuthorJ. Flaherty
    The Sea Hawk - E. Korngold

Aged or not, it's gold.

Also:
    Never noticed before, but the motif in "Escape from the Galley" sounds just like John Williams's "Hook-napped."
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MICHAEL KAMEN'S OPUS (Michael Kamen)

I traded this CD for Williams' rare ACCIDENTAL TOURIST back in the early 2000s (which I don't regret), but then re-acquired it digitally lately in preparation of my episode on Kamen. Amazingly, several tracks here are still the only decent recording we have of the respective soundtrack. There hasn't exactly been an on-slaught of Kamen releases after his death 13 years ago.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MOONBEAM CITY (Night Club)

Holy crap! This was recommended to me over at FSM when I did a thread on the aforementioned NERVE. Apparently, it's an animated, MIAMI VICE-like show from last year -- and the music is simply to die for! So gorgeous, funky and my cup of synthpop tea. I ran over to iTunes and bought it immediately!
    I am extremely serious.