• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2016 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    That's funny, I thought those track titles on Thomas' review were weird, but when I got the score they were the same and I looked up the tracklist at two different sources, and they all agreed with things like "Texas Vs" and "Visit From". dizzy So thanks for posting the full list!

Figured that would be a score you'd like. wink

I thought those track titles were weird as well, but checked every single site I could, and every site presented them like that. Even several stores

thanks anyway

And good to hear you really liked it wink
    one of my favourite scores of last year smile

I guess you didn't check the 'legal' sites. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Rebecca - Franz Waxman
    featuring Joel McNeely and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra

Gorgeous music. But that's not uncommon coming from the pen of the legendary Franz Waxman. I love this recording. Such scope, such warmth. Stunning performance and I love the concert hall recording by Jonathan Allen. It's also a nice presentation of the music. From what I can recall about 2 hours of music was composed for the film. Usually, Varese's tried to re-record complete scores but here we get a perfectly selected 55 minutes of highlights. I think this was a wise choice.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Is it comparable with the exquisite Vertigo recording by McNeely and the RSNO?
    Because I absolutely love that one (Recommended by you and Timmer if I'm not mistaken). smile

Listening to Obsession - Bernard Herrmann again.

It's growing but ever so slightly. An acquired taste which I need to be in the mood for, because it's music written with mood in mind. But with Herrmann that isn't surprising. Also a great recording IMO (City of Prague Philharmonic and Chorus, Nic Raine). Though I have no frame of reference because this way was the first time I ever heard it. But a score with such a tremendous organ sound must at least be worthy of discovery no?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    HOLLYWOOD'S GREATEST HITS - Erich Kunzel and the Cincinatti Pops !

Captain Blood, Gone with the Wind, Ben Hur, Exodus, Doctor Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia, ...

Fact No. 1 : This 1987 release sounds lightyears better than most modern recordings.
    Fact No. 2 : Film music composition has become way worse since those years.

I'll take on anyone saying these facts are false. knight

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2016
    DreamTheater wrote
    ...lightyears better...

If only there was a thread where units of measurements take on new forms...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DA VINCI'S DEMONS (Bear McCreary)

There's a brilliant album in here somewhere, but it's only, like, 4 years too long.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christopher Columbus: The Discovery - Cliff Eidelman

A sweeping score for a film about the discovery of Christopher Columbus, director of Stepmom.
  2. DreamTheater wrote
    Captain Blood, Gone with the Wind, Ben Hur, Exodus, Doctor Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia, ...

Again, that's very easy to say when you pick and choose THOSE scores as your representatives.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Horseshit from of an overabundance of hindsight, and very little insight. It's trendy to criticize the now. People have been doing it ever since man could make grunting noises.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2016
    DreamTheater wrote
    Is it comparable with the exquisite Vertigo recording by McNeely and the RSNO?
    Because I absolutely love that one (Recommended by you and Timmer if I'm not mistaken). smile

Vertigo can't be beat. But Rebecca is wonderful. As is Sunset Boulevard by Varese.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Russia House - Jerry Goldsmith

Hailed my most as being one of the greatest scores of the '90 and one of Goldsmith's greatest. I agree with all of that. It's a masterpiece!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    One of Goldsmith's few relaxing scores. is there... another?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    A Patch of Blue

-Erik-
  3. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Again, that's very easy to say when you pick and choose THOSE scores as your representatives.

Bingo ! The classic bait and mousetrap worked ! tongue
  4. Steven wrote
    Horseshit from of an overabundance of hindsight, and very little insight. It's trendy to criticize the now. People have been doing it ever since man could make grunting noises.

And it's fun to get the same old 'everything used to be better' discussion going. At least once in a while.
  5. Steven wrote

Grunting noises aren't what they used to be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    We should never have gotten down from the trees in the first place. angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Everything was much better when we were prokaryotic!
  6. Martijn wrote
    We should never have gotten down from the trees in the first place. angry

Und schon die Bäume waren ein Holzweg.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You have not experienced Douglas until you have read him in the original Klingon.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. ^ One of the few instances when I found the German translation more funny than the original English.

NP: The Russia House (1990) - Jerry Goldsmith

A masterpiece indeed.
  8. First (and likely last) listen of the expanded DANCES WITH WOLVES

I would call the 1990 album perfection... This one is great, just not as wonderful. Maybe a tad too repetitive for a 110 minute score. I preferred the shorter presentation. Less is more and all that. Barry was a master, but not all of his scores need expanding IMO. Oh dear, I'm having a Thor moment (and I wasn't planning on it). sad

Nitpicking aside it's glorious writing of course. I wouldn't have wanted to not fall totally in love with such music. It's romantic, it's memorable, it's emotional, it's exciting, and above all it's stunning in telling its own story alongside the images.

Don't know if I'll want to keep this, since I feel that the original album holds everything I'll ever need. Besides I already have the revised Buffalo Hunt on a Silva Records compilation (which is my go-to collection of Barry necessities).
  9. I agree with that and the same goes for Braveheart IMO. Still in both cases I am glad to have added the archival releases to my collection. They are beautifully produced.
  10. It's a different situation for Braveheart personally speaking as that score doesn't have the same repetitive structure of DWW, you know the typical Barry sound with the constant repeating 2 bars or chords, whereas Braveheart can get pretty ferocious at times, it's much more varied.

Besides I'm ten times a fan of Horner than I am of Barry. smile
  11. I have the 2005 edition of Dances with Wolves, the most recent expansion with Jon Burlingame's great liner notes (which I praised to him personally on Facebook one day). I don't think I'll ever need any other release, though I haven't heard the newest one yet.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2016 edited
    NP: MISTRESS AMERICA (Dean Warenham & Britta Phillips)

Great synth score, one of the best last year (but that I discovered too late to make any lists). The film, however, I was not so taken with. Too "hipster". Much preferred Baumbach's FRANCES HA from a few years ago.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. I'll be returning to Dances With Wolves in the future, because I clearly wasn't right in the head when I heard it yesterday, normally I would be overjoyed with such a release and I would cherish every second of it. I'm thinking I was just a bit tired when I hit play, and not at all in the mood anymore by the time it ended.

That's the only explanation I have right now... So forgive my earlier bollocks post. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2016
    Hey. You wrote it as you felt it ....at that point in time.
    As you say, you were tired and perhaps not in the best frame of mind or "music zone" to fully embrace the new complete edition. I'm very, very impressed with it. You're right about moments of repetition but that's fine by me in such a large work as Dances With Wolves.
    Give it another go and really immerse yourself in it if you can. It's so very rewarding.
  13. I went from love to sleep in one sitting.

The reward was that I slept like a baby after.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2016
    Take A Hard Ride Jerry Goldsmith

Nerds, I need your wisdom. Is there a rerecording of this theme anywhere?