• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2016
    Since Shadows Of The Empire I have always supported Joel McNeely.
    I still hold out hope he might get another shot at Star Wars.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2016 edited
    NP: Star Wars: The Force Awakens - John Williams

This is roughly my 25th listen of the score. There are so many great things about this score that I could just sit here all day and gush but I'm late for work. However, before I head out I just want to say a few things.

I literally just finished with the track "Farewell and the Trip." If anyone is not moved by that cue then something is CLEARLY wrong with them. Rey's Theme, IMO, is right up there with the best of the best themes from the series. And then once you hit "The Jedi Steps & Finale." SCOREGASM! Absolutely thrilling music!

This score is nothing short of brilliant and IMO, like I said on my radio show, is one of the best scores written in the past 15 years.

I cannot wait to hear where Williams takes his new themes in episode 8. Make sure that heart keeps ticking, Maestro!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. I said before IMO TFA is the most lyrical Star Wars score. It also is the most cohesive listening experience when compared with the other original album presentations. A fantastic film-symphonic album.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Star Wars: The Force Awakens - John Williams

This is roughly my 25th listen of the score. There are so many great things about this score that I could just sit here all day and gush but I'm late for work. However, before I head out I just want to say a few things.

I literally just finished with the track "Farewell and the Trip." If anyone is not moved by that cue then something is CLEARLY wrong with them. Rey's Theme, IMO, is right up there with the best of the best themes from the series. And then once you hit "The Jedi Steps & Finale." SCOREGASM! Absolutely thrilling music!

This score is nothing short of brilliant and IMO, like I said on my radio show, is one of the best scores written in the past 15 years.

I cannot wait to hear where Williams takes his new themes in episode 8. Make sure that heart keeps ticking, Maestro!

-Erik-

yeah
  2. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I am moved by that final duel with Vader, I am moved by Jor-El's goodbye to his son, I am moved by the returnees in Close Encounters, I am moved by Hymn for the Fallen, I am moved by the americana theme in 4th of July.

But not during TFA's final cues, I'm sorry.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Martijn wrote
    Since Shadows Of The Empire I have always supported Joel McNeely.
    I still hold out hope he might get another shot at Star Wars.

Holy shitballs, yes ! His best composition for sure.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    But not during TFA's final cues, I'm sorry.

Well, THIS is all I can say...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2016 edited
    biggrin

Well as the wise Dirty Harry once said:

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Some a more full of shit than others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - David Arnold

This one never really grabbed my attention back in 2010. This is my first spin of the album since December 2010.

What was the consensus on this one?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I believe it was 'No one will be listening to this in 2016 - except maybe Erik Woods'.

I say this with much disappointment. Had this been 90s Arnold, I suspect it would have become a favourite.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It makes what should be the right noises but isn't engaging at all.

Maybe I'll give it another go one day, it can join the back of the ever expanding queue of scores that 'maybe I'll give it another go one day'.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    It makes what should be the right noises but isn't engaging at all.

An apt description. It's the illusion of a much better score.
  4. Erik Woods wrote

I think it got surprisingly good notices back then (I seem to recall it even came in ahead of Tron Legacy on the Filmtracks year-end community poll...madness) but it seems to have been largely forgotten. A good score but I only ever return to parts of it, especially that mammoth action cue towards the end.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2016
    Erik Woods wrote

Dudamel can conduct but I don't want any one else to score episode 8. Now, if something were to happen to Williams, I'd be physically ill if Nathan Johnson, Rain Johnson's frequent collaboration AND cousin, gets the gig.

My replacement choices would be...

1) William Ross because he worked so closely with Williams on episode 7.
    2) Any one of these five
    3) Conrad Pope - For obvious reasons
    4) If he knocks Rogue One out of the park, Desplat might be considered.
    5) Gordy Haab... or any of the more recent Star Wars video game composers.
    6) If all else fails... Michael Giacchino.

-Erik-

How about Joe Kraemer? The guy knows his Star Wars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Joe Kraemer is a good choice as well!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2016 edited
    I'd rather think a bit outside the box. Within a symphonic framwork, of course (it can't be totally alien to the STAR WARS musical vernacular, unless the FILM is very different too). We can only imagine what a Goldenthal would have done, for example (he would never be asked, and I doubt he'd ever accept if he were). Who else? I don't know. Korzeniowski, perhaps?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Frederic Talgorn should be in that list of possibilities too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I vouch for the ultimate Williams replacement, Erich Wolfgang Korngold, plus, he hasn't had a scoring gig for a few years. Give him the job.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Stravinsky, Strauss or Wagner. They are totally out of work. So much wasted talent.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No one will employ Stravinsky as he wants at least a year to compose a score.
  6. Well, as they are doing Star Wars films now at an annual schedule that shouldn't pose a problem. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2016
    They should give the man a call then.
  7. I'd hire John Scott in a heart beat to score a Star Wars film.

Also Conrad Pope.

I might also consider David Newman. He's serious about music, appreciates and loves his father's work, and he's got that musical talent to move the score in a serialized way from scene to scene like the films require.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - David Arnold

This one never really grabbed my attention back in 2010. This is my first spin of the album since December 2010.

-Erik-

Haven't heard it in years, but I believe I liked it, especially because Arnold didn't shy away from using HGW's themes here and there, and actually doing very lovely new versions of them.

And, BTW, you're spot on with Williams and TFA. Rey's Theme is mesmerizingly beautiful. I can't get enough of it, but the whole score is just phenomenal.
  9. NP: Star Trek The Motion Picture (1978) - Jerry Goldsmith

While reading the original Marvel graphic novel onscreen. I once bought those comics on pdf/CD-Rom. A nice thing that my reading speed almost exactly matches the progress of the full score.
    When I was a child a good friend of mine owned the German edition of the comic which made me envious despite me not understanding a thing of the story. The pictures just fascinated me. It was one of my first exposures to the world of science fiction.
    What's hilarious is those '78 advertisements. One is offering special nutrition for girls who feel to skinny and that promises to boost their self-confidence by gaining some extra weight. The times they are a changing.
    Back when the human adventure was just beginning ... For all its cinematic shortcomings, this is still my favorite Star Trek story.

smile Volker
  10. ST:TMP is a great film, under-appreciated because it hardly moves along or some such nonsense. I love that slow-paced audiovisual storytelling myself, and the chemistry of the cast is undeniable.

THE WAR OF THE VENDEE - KEVIN KASKA

Ok, after hearing this gem once again I'm now confident that this composer would be up to the challenge to write the next Star Wars score, because he's basically channeling Williams and The Patriot here. What a talent !
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2016 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Star Trek The Motion Picture (1978) - Jerry Goldsmith

1979 wink

Still one of my all time favourite scores, it blew me away right from that very first listen on LP, a week before the film was released here in the UK.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2016
    DreamTheater wrote
    ST:TMP is a great film, under-appreciated because it hardly moves along

The critics described it as Star Trek The Motionless Picture. It isn't my favourite Trek film but I do like it a lot. Without that slow pace and the lingering cosmic vistas we wouldn't have one of the most awesome film scores ever written, for that Robert Wise has my gratitude.
  11. DreamTheater wrote
    I love that slow-paced audiovisual storytelling myself

Thor, it's not cool to hack other people's accounts. angry