• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I believe that the Director's Cut reveals the masterpiece the film really is. Did I speak of shortcomings? Nonsense. The story breathes the spirit of Gene Roddenberry like few others.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2016
    It just breathes really, really slowly.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. I think that The Motion Picture is actually underrated as well. I saw the director's cut, actually.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Half an hour of shuffling through my Jerry Goldsmith playlist has brought up Powder, The Salamander, Alien, Islands in the Stream, The Wind and the Lion, Papillon and The Last Run. Christ, this guy was good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've been on a Goldsmith high myself lately. I can't wait to hear The Blue Max rerecording, as well as the bonus material on that album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2016 edited
    ^ I just got the album today... can't wait to dive in!

EDIT - Just played the main title...

JESUS CHRIST! IT'S STUNNING!

punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2016
    shocked lick cool
  3. Get back to us after you hear "The Attack". lick
  4. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I love that slow-paced audiovisual storytelling myself

Thor, it's not cool to hack other people's accounts. angry

He he ! Now how would you know if it was really me? confused

NP: A bunch of abbreviated playlists from various scores. The shorter the better. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    ST:TMP is a great film, under-appreciated because it hardly moves along or some such nonsense. I love that slow-paced audiovisual storytelling myself, and the chemistry of the cast is undeniable.

THE WAR OF THE VENDEE - KEVIN KASKA

Ok, after hearing this gem once again I'm now confident that this composer would be up to the challenge to write the next Star Wars score, because he's basically channeling Williams and The Patriot here. What a talent !

cool, I'll have to check it out then
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. DreamTheater wrote
    NP: A bunch of abbreviated playlists from various scores. The shorter the better. smile

Nice try, but Thor would never make playlists. Don't you know you have to be a professional to do that?
  7. NP: CLOSE ENCOUNTERS of the 3RD KIND

The 1998 Arista album, this is perfection ! love

But to be real honest, I'd welcome an expansion. 3 CD's, the entire score as heard in the film, every possible alternate, the original album, all in remastered sound and with extensive liner notes. I'd pay a maximum total of 39.95 dollars for it. It would be ordered the moment it comes out.

Posted as proof that the account was not hijacked by Thor
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. I have both Arista releases and several recordings of the suite. I think I'm fine with that.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    Posted as proof that the account was not hijacked by Thor

Fcuk of
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Let me also add for the record that the most goosebump-inducing, complicated and outright heavenly finale that Williams has ever written was for this flick.

33 minutes that completely blows away TFA. wink

Oh and I would like 'End Titles: Director's Cut' in there as well.
  9. DreamTheater wrote
    NP: CLOSE ENCOUNTERS of the 3RD KIND

But to be real honest, I'd welcome an expansion. 3 CD's, the entire score as heard in the film, every possible alternate, the original album, all in remastered sound and with extensive liner notes. I'd pay a maximum total of 39.95 dollars for it. It would be ordered the moment it comes out.

^Now playing. In terms of artistic expression I hold this score in higher regard than Star Wars. I terms of geeky scoregasm it's the other way around.

Volker
  10. SMALL SOLDIERS: THE VIDEOGAME - GIACCHINO

This actually is tied with MOH:Frontline as my favorite scores by the man.

It's Fun with a capital F... it's absolutely bonkers in the percussion department... the huge choir adds the awesomeness to it... it has a series of themes that are truly memorable and amazingly developed... plus it has this incredibly expressive, militaristic sound that I love.

I wish to see (and hear) an official release before I die. punk
  11. THE BLUE MAX - BONUS CUES

My CD's just in... Decided to start listening to the material which comes after the main recording, and a big part of why I wanted this set in the first place. It's essentially a new compilation from Goldsmith by the Prague Philharmonic in great form, holding some very interesting cues / scores (some I'm hearing for the first time here).

MacArthur : First time I heard it in this suite form. I only knew of the march. Good stuff.
    Patton : 2 great marches are stunningly performed. Better than the original versions.
    A Gathering of Eagles : I didn't know this one. But what a fine cue it is.
    The Sand Pebbles : Again, not too familiar except for the love theme. A nice 6-cue suite that impresses a lot.
    Inchon : Poor recording aside initially, I love this score. To hear these themes re-recorded is absolutely astounding.
    Tora! Tora! Tora! : Stunning new rendition of the main title. Brilliant job.
    The Chairman : Like those before, asian-flavored. 3-part suite which sounds superb. Didn't know it at all, but I can learn to love this (God, that main title).
    The Mummy : Totally love this, most of the highlights in an excellent 15 minute suite. Superb fun !
    Omen III: The Final Conflict : 3-part suite that sounds as amazing as you'd expect. A fitting finale of the album.

Have yet to hear The Blue Max but I read it's stunning. cool
  12. NP: Die Nibelungen (1924) - Gottfried Huppertz

Re-recording of 2015. Amazing!

knight Volker
  13. Jerry Goldsmith - Hoosiers

God, I missed it. A kind reminder of ol' Jerry's genius.
  14. Captain Future wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    NP: CLOSE ENCOUNTERS of the 3RD KIND

^Now playing. In terms of artistic expression I hold this score in higher regard than Star Wars. I terms of geeky scoregasm it's the other way around.

Volker

Is there any way of obtaining this CD (the 1998 Arista) without having to get a mortgage? I recently reviewed this score for my site and I wrote the review off Spotify!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's only about 17 dollars on Amazon second-hand.
  15. Come to think of it now, Jerry is the most legendary film composer that ever lived. I'm just thankful that I'm alive in a period where his music has shined for a long time and will continue to do so.

That said, it would be extremely interesting if James Fitzpatrick would re-record Hoosiers someday. How would that turn out, I wonder... smile
  16. Martijn wrote
    It's only about 17 dollars on Amazon second-hand.

Some clown on amazon.de wants € 236,28
  17. Music of such magnitude and timelessness is worth that. wink
  18. DreamTheater wrote
    Come to think of it now, Jerry is the most legendary film composer that ever lived.

Alfred Newman
    Max Steiner
    Bernard Herrmann
    Dimitri Tiomkin
    Franz Waxman
    Elmer Bernstein
    Maurice Jarre
    etc. etc.

and ... John Williams?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Aside from The Five Tones I never heard what everyone else hears in this score. sad
    To me it's one of Williams' least accessible works.
  19. DreamTheater wrote
    Music of such magnitude and timelessness is worth that. wink

Ah, so you are that clown. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Come to think of it now, Jerry is the most legendary film composer that ever lived.

JOHN WILLIAMS is the most legendary film composer that ever lived.

Us fan boys can enjoy arguing our different opinions.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  20. Martijn wrote
    Aside from The Five Tones I never heard what everyone else hears in this score. sad
    To me it's one of Williams' least accessible works.

Many great works of art aren't easily accessible.