• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I'm checking out "Ash vs. Evil Dead" via youtube.

What a shocking temp track fest. Cue after cue lifting and re-working slightly parts of cues from other film and television scores. This is not the first time LoDuca has suffered from temp track-itis, but this is probably the worst I've heard yet.

He needs to call each of them up, especially Christophe Beck, and apologize.

Considering the shift in temp track bits, this must have been one hacked up mess of a temp somebody put together.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2016
    Martijn wrote

DreamTheater wrote
    I also dig Richard Dreyfuss' performance as he goes from the everyman, to the confused, from the paranoid to the enlightened. His character behaves irrationally but never over the top. We can relate to him and his search for an answer.

Really? shocked
    I thought it was the most annoying main character in movie history

Isn't he just! I believe he had a massive coke problem back then and that makes sense with his manic acting. I'm not a fan of the film either, I don't need visual reminders to appreciate the magnificent score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Martijn wrote

Really? shocked
    I thought it was the most annoying main character in movie history

Really? shocked

There's some pretty damn craptacular competition, including off the top of my head:

1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK8ednS0skQ
    2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWL-kS9QAQU
    3: Rob Schneider in "Judge Dread"
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. None of those are main characters, Justin.
  4. Actually, they were among the main leads, sadly. Except for Ruby. Schneider even managed to annoy his way into the climax of the film.
  5. Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I also dig Richard Dreyfuss' performance as he goes from the everyman, to the confused, from the paranoid to the enlightened. His character behaves irrationally but never over the top. We can relate to him and his search for an answer.

Really? shocked
    I thought it was the most annoying main character in movie history until I saw Amélie!

You and me... outside ! RIGHT EFFIN' NOW !!!!!!

You have nothing with Dreyfuss, Roy Neary or his character's motivations, I'm cool with that.

But to piss on Amélie Poulain, that most innocent, sweet, lovable and unique creature is simply not ok in my book ! In fact it fuels the rage inside me that you would even consider the film to be anything less than totally brilliant, a true masterpiece and a work of art. You mister, have no heart, or if you have a heart, it's made of the blackest and coldest iron there is... crazy

LET'S FIGHT !!! beer <-- beers replacing two lightsabers
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. I found the film rather dull. I liked the score back then but did not revisit it in a long time. You couldn't escape that main theme. It was everywhere.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    I found the film rather dull. I liked the score back then but did not revisit it in a long time. You couldn't escape that main theme. It was everywhere.

Volker

It's a wonderfully complex score, far more than just five notes.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. In anticipation of the brawl of the century (or fish-slapping dance, which is more likely shame ) I've been listening to Miklos Rozsa's THE PRIVATE LIFE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES and I didn't enjoy this one at all. Well there's the theme for Gabrielle, the main theme and that's about it. A bit too classical for me, not too many hooks I can hook onto, at least not of the kind I had heard before from Rozsa. I'll be gifting this one to my dad then (should be right up his alley, he has a small Rozsa collection, though nothing film related).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. There's TFA all over again ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Huh?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. No hooks that he can hook on. But anyway:

NP: The Blue Max - Jerry Goldsmith

The suite as recorded by Silva some years back. Not the recent recording of the score. I can see what is appealing about this score but it is not entirely mine. I won't elaborate beyond this suite.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2016 edited
    ^ Is that a early Prague recording or the suite pulled from the 80's Philharmonia recording?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    There can't ever have been such a concentration of weird posts in this thread without a single one of them being from Thor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timeline - Jerry Goldsmith

It definitely benefits from not having a stupid Randy Newman song in it, like the forthcoming animated feature Bunyan and Babe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    There can't ever have been such a concentration of weird posts in this thread without a single one of them being from Thor.

Don't mess with black magic, you'll only summon him.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2016
    Southall wrote

Fcuk yeah!
  10. Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Don't mess with black magic, you'll only summon him.

Thor Thor Thor
  11. Southall wrote

You know what, this may very well be the old 'where's Clark when Superman is around' thing going on here... wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Best of 2015 Various

My own playlist spurred on by Ant's playlist

It's interesting how you considered Moroccan Chase one of the best action cues of the year, while I preferred The A400, yet for our best of playlists, we've both gone with the other!
  12. NP: Sisi - The Movie Trilogy Suite (1955-1957) - Anton Profes

Recording of 2015. Suite compiled by Paul Hertel, conducted by Conrad Pope.

Sweet, romantic Golden Age film music. A CD release out of the blue.

(Elizabeth was called "Sisi", yet the films spell it "Sissi". I assume the album producers changed the spelling for copyright reasons.)

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Best of 2015 Various

My own playlist spurred on by Ant's playlist

It's interesting how you considered Moroccan Chase one of the best action cues of the year, while I preferred The A400, yet for our best of playlists, we've both gone with the other!

True, and I suppose I could have added that too, but it felt too similar to warrant it (unlike the Powell tracks, which I felt couldn't do the score justice with just the one ). Plus, I prefer The A400 as an intro track than the brilliant Moroccan Chase. So, there it is. dizzy

What a year though.
  13. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Sisi - The Movie Trilogy Suite (1955-1957) - Anton Profes

Recording of 2015. Suite compiled by Paul Hertel, conducted by Conrad Pope.

Sweet, romantic Golden Age film music. A CD release out of the blue.

(Elizabeth was called "Sisi", yet the films spell it "Sissi". I assume the album producers changed the spelling for copyright reasons.)

Volker

I came across this the other day. A lovely, romantic series of 3 suites from the trilogy of films.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    State Of Play - Alex Heffes

The second track - "The Apartment" - isn't that the theme used in Kingsman?
  14. This week I've been putting the 3 Space & Beyond sets by Silva Screen in my car cd player, Space & Beyond, Alien Invasion: Space & Beyond II, Space 3: Beyond the Final Frontier. It's pure bliss all the way but the first one remains my favorite (has been since 1996). It simply has the best collection of music of the three, sound effects included. In fact, I have never skipped them, and never will. They're part of their respective themes.

I'm hoping Silva will someday produce a fourth entry. I'd get that for certain, considering they've since gone and improved their recording techniques and orchestra performances. Or just re-record the whole bunch of them in a nice shiny new box-set. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2016
    Epic Hollywood - Miklos Rozsa

The new concert recording on Tadlow. Nothing short of magnificent. Epic is the only word to use when it comes to Rozsa.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2016
    Listening to something rarely played the Symphony of Bernard Herrmann. His film style is very evident in this work.
    listen to more classical music!
  15. Southall wrote
    Epic Hollywood - Miklos Rozsa

The new concert recording on Tadlow. Nothing short of magnificent. Epic is the only word to use when it comes to Rozsa.

The standout thing about this release is that they decided to put the applause as separate tracks! punk

Though I did have to edit out some sneaky applause at the end of some of the tracks.

And definitely wanted me to hunt out the originals.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2016
    Yes, it's great the applause is (mostly) separated. And a fairly disciplined audience!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2016
    Speed 2: Cruise Control | Mark Mancina

For a late 90's action score, this hasn't aged as badly as one might expect. The Speed theme is still brilliant.