• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2016 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I wonder, Gilles, if it's less to do with the music and more to do with, well, you. Like, if there was some great Goldsmith or Horner score from the 80s or 90s that you had never heard a single note of before, I wonder if you'd have the same difficulty getting into that as you do with a lot of today's scores. I'm not even that old yet and I'm already noticing that I don't have quite the same visceral reactions to newly-discovered music (or films, books, games etc.) that I used to back in what they call "the formative years", regardless of the year of release. I think that happens to most people.

The trick is not letting yourself get fooled into making broad sweeping declarations about "the state of film music".

Edmund, I think I'm twice your age (give or take a year) so I think I've heard enough in my lifetime that I can now say, this is the kind of music that will stay with me forever, and that kind ain't. I'm just wired that way... Can't help this condition, there's no cure, no therapy.

But I can still get super-excited over something, a new James Cameron film, a new John Williams score, a new Hideo Kojima game. But it's mostly in music that I find true satisfaction, it's the one thing that keeps me going to be honest. Music is the most important thing in my life. And seeing how a lot of my personal heroes have died the last 15 years, or aren't around like they used to, well so has my interest in discovering new stuff (that end up disappointing me). So it all comes down to what I want to do in this too short a life. Yes! I'll stick to the stuff that NEVER gets tiring, and that will be the music that will be spinning until I die. Like I said, there's no cure. I haven't tried hypnosis though. smile

Well I will shut up now about this, I've said everything I have to say and I'll do my best to attempt that what Edmund is suggesting. From now on I post positive posts. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Sea Hawk - Erich Wolfgang Korngold
    The Utah Symphony Orchestra conducted by Varujan Kojian

Fabulous! A perfect interpretation of one of the greatest scores ever composed! I think I might do a Utah Symphony Orchestra re-recordings program one day! There isn't a bad one in the bunch!

-Erik-

I love these recordings too.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: The Hobbit (2012-2014) - Howard Shore

A playlist of greatness.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2016
    What does your playlist look like, Volker?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Mine is as follows if anyone's interested:

1. [Play Lord of the Rings instead]
  3. Martijn wrote
    What does your playlist look like, Volker?

1. Old Friends
    2. Misty Mountains
    3. An Ancient Enemy
    4. Roast Mutton (Standard Version)
    5. Moon Runes
    6. The White Council
    7. Over Hill
    8. Riddles in the Dark
    9. A Thunder Battle
    10. Dreaming of Bag End
    11. Erebor
    12. The Quest for Erebor
    13. A Feast of Starlight
    14. Protector of the Common Folk
    15. Kingsfoil
    16. My Armor is Iron
    17. I See Fire
    18. Ruins of Dale
    19. The Clouds Burst
    20. Sons of Durin
    21. Ironfood
    22. Courage and Wisdom
    23. There And Back Again
    24. Bonus: Song of the Lonely Montain
    25. Bonus: The Last Good-buy

This amounts to roughly 100 minutes.

I stopped playing it because a) I'm staying with my Mother this weekend and she's playing the piano. And b) I need more cheery music.
  4. Steven wrote

Parts 1 & 2 have some good music. But my playlist would feature most stuff from part 1.
    And from part 3 I would take only the best cue, which is the Billy Boyd song.

BOND & BEYOND

Erich Kunzel & CPO

Huge (and I do mean huge) amounts of brass ! That 12 minute TV-medley is fantastic ! I love this one. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    "Bola Viva" from John Powell's score to Rio 2. The rest of the score is rather unmemorable, but this piece is one of the absolute best Powell has ever written. It's so Powell. Such energy, fun and joy in three and a half minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Tale of a Lake - Panu Aaltio

Very nice indeed.
  5. Anthony wrote
    "Bola Viva" from John Powell's score to Rio 2. The rest of the score is rather unmemorable, but this piece is one of the absolute best Powell has ever written. It's so Powell. Such energy, fun and joy in three and a half minutes.

Easily the best track from Rio 2, and they put it on the f*cking song album. crazy
  6. The Knick Season 2 - Cliff Martinez

The usual collection of low-key, occasionally bubbly electronic soundscapes from Martinez, because that's all he is capable of. A one-trick pony if ever there was one. Moving right along. sleep
  7. NP: The Force Awakens (2015) - John Williams

For the first time in a couple of weeks. 77 minutes of delight.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2016 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The Knick Season 2 - Cliff Martinez

The usual collection of low-key, occasionally bubbly electronic soundscapes from Martinez, because that's all he is capable of. A one-trick pony if ever there was one. Moving right along. sleep

This was -- simply put -- the best TV score last year! A pure delight. We're so different, it's not even funny. (That being said, I have a feeling you phrased your "review" that way just to provoke me!).
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The Knick Season 2 - Cliff Martinez

This was -- simply put -- the best TV score last year! A pure delight. We're so different, it's not even funny. (That being said, I have a feeling you phrased your "review" that way just to provoke me!).

He's Hollywood's Edgar Froese. Marvellous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2016
    High Rise - Clint Mansell

This is excellent. Gripping orchestral drama mixed with brilliantly-done synths (bit of Wendy Carlos going on?)
  9. Thor wrote
    (That being said, I have a feeling you phrased your "review" that way just to provoke me!).

Maybe a little. wink

Honestly, I just don't get Martinez. Sure, he's got nice textures...but has he got ANYTHING else? At all? Any meat on the bone? Any dramatic heft? Any attempt to differentiate his projects from one another? I don't hear it. He has one (very limited) mode and that's it. His stagnancy makes late-career John Barry sound like Karlheinz Stockhausen-level experimentation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2016 edited
    Southall wrote

This is excellent. Gripping orchestral drama mixed with brilliantly-done synths (bit of Wendy Carlos going on?)

Aw, I'm sure this right up Thor's alley but now that you like it he has an obligation to hate it! Or at least dismiss it as too mainstream.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote
    (That being said, I have a feeling you phrased your "review" that way just to provoke me!).

Maybe a little. wink

Honestly, I just don't get Martinez. Sure, he's got nice textures...but has he got ANYTHING else? At all? Any meat on the bone? Any dramatic heft? Any attempt to differentiate his projects from one another? I don't hear it. He has one (very limited) mode and that's it. His stagnancy makes late-career John Barry sound like Karlheinz Stockhausen-level experimentation.

He has plenty of all of that, IMO. But if you don't like his style in general, it's not like I can showcase a John Williams-type score that is totally different from everything else he's done. But perhaps you'd like his KAFKA score from 1991:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goYNZhZ7Qj4
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote

I didn't care for this at all (and I promise -- it's just my honest reaction, I'm not saying so to "be different" or anything). Most of it comes off as cheap Herrmann gimmicks and simplistic minimalism without any of the graceful textures he usually does. Rather grating, actually. And I'm not sure where Southall is hearing electronics. There's hardly a synth to heard anywhere.

I'm a big fan of Mansell's, but this is the most disappointing thing I've heard from him, ever. Into the trash it goes.

But I'll probably see the film, and reserve some judgement for that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: EDDIE THE EAGLE (Matthew Margeson)

Ah, much better! THIS is electronics! But I never thought I'd see a film about ski jumping co-financed by Hollywood. I thought that was a sport exclusively for Northern Europe.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. ^ Now that's a score made entirely out of synth textures that I can get behind. Way, way more enjoyable than anything I've heard from Martinez!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Apples and oranges....
    I am extremely serious.
  11. CONAN THE BARBARIAN

Powerhouse symphonic music like I prefer it. It's the re-recording and the only one I want. The only thing this package is missing is some shots of Arnie looking awesome and ready to slay some bad guys.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DEADPOOL (Tom Holkenborg)

A definite highlight of the film music year so far! (although I would probably have arranged the album differently -- with the songs in one section and the score in another).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote

BOND & BEYOND

Erich Kunzel & CPO

What a poor Bond selection it has though. At the least I'd have stuck in The Living Daylights ( Barry's arrangement, Hercules Takes Off from the original soundtrack ) and OHMSS.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The 13th Warrior - J Goldsmith

I've no interest in ever hearing the scores from the first 12 movies in the series. This one is good.

This got me thinking about that jolly good film Apollo 13 so I just looked up the IMDb, like me you'll be shocked to learn that there is no listing to be found, anywhere, for Apollo's 1-12, in my most humble opinion this is a disgraceful omission.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I hear the first Apollo film was a complete disaster.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Really? I heard it was divine.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    CONAN THE BARBARIAN

Powerhouse symphonic music like I prefer it. It's the re-recording and the only one I want. The only thing this package is missing is some shots of Arnie looking awesome and ready to slay some bad guys.

And I prefer the original soundtrack recording. I'm not a fan of the Tadlow re-recording... too many flubbed notes, something is wrong with the mix and there's a few poor choices on Fitzpatrick's part to replace certain "sound effects" with something more musical.

If Tadlow's Barbarian had sounded like Destroyer, then I would have been happy but in this case, Poledouris raw 1982 recording of the score is superior, IMO.

-Erik-