• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2016 edited
    Steven wrote
    Islands In The Stream Jerry Goldsmith

Wasn't this supposed to be the composer's favourite score? I can't say I understand why. It's all very Goldsmithian, pleasant enough, but it's always failed to get my attention. It's a classic Goldsmith score without a classic Goldsmith theme.

Are you saying the score has no theme or that you just don't like the theme?

BTW, I think the score is brilliant and I actually prefer Intrada's recording of the score over the original recording.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2016
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Wasn't this supposed to be the composer's favourite score? I can't say I understand why. It's all very Goldsmithian, pleasant enough, but it's always failed to get my attention. It's a classic Goldsmith score without a classic Goldsmith theme.

Well, yes, it has a theme of course. Themes, even. They just do absolutely nothing for me, which is surprising given how much of a Goldsmith nut I am. Like I said, pleasant enough, but for me it's dispensable. (I also prefer the Intrada version, but that isn't really saying much.)

Lionheart Jerry

SO much better! Also, I like the synths. Wouldn't have it any other way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2016 edited
    I fully respect Jerry's music for Islands In The Stream. But like Steven, does little for me (that's to say the score, not Steven). There are some great moments but not enough thus I spin this rarely.

Lionheart, I've adored it for the past 29 years! Themes and highlights a plenty!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    punk

It's melody after melody. I guess First Knight is his most beloved knight score, but this for me is the best of the three of them (though I love them all).
  1. Steven wrote
    Lionheart Jerry

SO much better! Also, I like the synths. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Me neither.

Hey, we do agree on occasion... Somebody call the newspaper !! cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Well, yes, it has a theme of course. Themes, even. They just do absolutely nothing for me, which is surprising given how much of a Goldsmith nut I am. Like I said, pleasant enough, but for me it's dispensable. (I also prefer the Intrada version, but that isn't really saying much.)

I watched the film once and honestly, you can't watch that film and not come away from it thinking it's one of Goldsmith's best film scores, even if you don't like it on the album. It's so clever and deep, maybe the deepest he ever really went.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2016 edited
    I trust you, but I suppose I'll have to watch the film. I want to appreciate it, particularly as it's from my favourite period of Goldsmith's career. But 90% of Goldsmith's scores I enjoy, perhaps more, have nothing to do with the films -- I haven't even seen most of them! I can't say I'm all that interested in seeing many of his films given that I have such a personal connection with the music.

Then again, Poltergeist is one that stands out as a film worth seeing for the music alone, so maybe I'm missing out on a lot here..
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2016
    Islands in the Stream is literally the only score (by anyone) that I started enjoying more on album after seeing the film.

As an aside, I've watched a lot of terrible films just because Goldsmith scored them (Islands in the Stream isn't terrible in any way).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Islands in the Stream is literally the only score (by anyone) that I started enjoying more on album after seeing the film.

As an aside, I've watched a lot of terrible films just because Goldsmith scored them (Islands in the Stream isn't terrible in any way).

I'm with James on all counts.

I far prefer JG's original on FSM, the Intrada misses some superb action material.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2016 edited
    NP: Eddie The Eagle - Matthew Margeson

Love it. What a massive 80's nostalgia kick this one is. Lots of heart and emotion. Really enjoyable! "Eddie Jumps The 90m" is a superb cue!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. LAIR

John Debney's second best score I've heard from him. The first one being that pirate thingie he did 21 years ago. smile

This has all the excitement and thematic audacity of a huge symphonic film score in the tradition of the grand epics, except that it was written for a videogame about dragons, and supposedly not a very good one (as I never played it I can't say for sure). It's much more than just action, as there's also moments of reflection or just themes of glorious splendor coming to the foreground. But mostly it's excitement up the wazoo, right up my alley ! Of course we shouldn't forget about Kevin Kaska who contributed a couple of kick-ass action cues. The Lalaland double disc release from 2014 is truly satisfying but I think the first disc has the best selection. The second disc is not as all-out fantastic. But I really love it all. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The best game scores tend to be written for bad games.

Take two scores from 2013 as an example, both released in June of that year: Remember me had a great score, but was rather ironically quickly forgotten; The Last of Us was one of the best games ever made, but had an incredibly forgettable score. It's an anecdote, but I think it's one that can be applied to many examples.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Eddie The Eagle - Matthew Margeson

Love it. What a massive 80's nostalgia kick this one is. Lots of heart and emotion. Really enjoyable! "Eddie Jumps The 90m" is a cue superb!

-Erik-

I think we may have found the ONE score in 2016 where we both agree.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The 'Burbs Jerry Goldsmith

I'm fully convinced Jerry Goldsmith was insane.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Bourne Ultimatum - John Powell

Love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2016
    NP: THE SEA HAWK - THE CLASSIC SCORES OF... (Eric Wolfgang Korngold)

A classic album, of course. I know it's a favourite for many of you (esp. Erik), and would you believe Korngold was my favourite Golden Age composer in the 90s, before I truly discovered Waxman (who is my favourite today)? Some of the whimsical, swashbuckling mickey-mousing in SEA HAWK doesn't do much for me, but then it has other great parts. The only one of the selections I have on an individual soundtrack is DEVOTION.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2016 edited
    NP: THE YOUNG MESSIAH (John Debney)

The film may be all kinds of kitch, I don't know, but it's bound to be reverent, given Debney's strong Christian beliefs. I doubt he would have taken the assignment, had it been a more 'edgy' portrayal of Jesus. BUT...the score is great! Basically PASSION OF THE CHRIST 2, but if you dig that score, you're bound to like this.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2016 edited
    FORT ROSS - YURI POTEYENKO

This is very good adventure music... Not as downright fantastic as the man's 'Age of Pirates : Carribean Tales' or 'Sea Dogs', but still a fun listen. I bought this on the strength of those two mentioned, and I'm glad I did. The man has talent for catchy melodic writing and explosive action (although this score is more subdued in the action department apart from a few tracks). Nevertheless I like his style, he puts the fun back in film music. Give him a big blockbuster and he'll be remembered as the new kid in town (that town being Hollywood). Wishful thinking yes, but wonders never cease. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Wind and the Lion - J Goldsmith

Exhilarating.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Goldsmith could turn his hand to any genre as though he was born to write for it. It never ceases to amaze me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2016
    High Rise - Clint Mansell

I love this. Can't stop listening to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SUBURRA (M83/various)

One of my favourite soundtrack albums last year! Gorgeous synth score and existing electronic music.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Yeah, I like Suburra too. I frequently listen to it at work. (It's a great score to drown out the constant chatting from my colleagues).
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  4. Been listening to "Eye in the Sky" (some okay cues, mostly boring), "Journey to Mecca" (okay, but I'm not hugely into middle-eastern music), and "The Other Side of the Door" (mostly boring).
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I really like JOURNEY TO MECCA (Brook has been on a roll lately). Didn't really care for the other two. And each time I see the title "Eye in the Sky", I'm thinking about the Alan Parsons song anyway.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just tried to choke down Batman v Superman. Kill me now!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Just tried to choke down Batman v Superman. Kill me now!

Just post a bad review and the Z-men will be all over you. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Raiders of the Lost Ark - John Williams

Getting the bad taste of Batman v Superman out of my mouth!

-Erik-