• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Morgan Joylighter wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Days of Thunder (1990) - Hans Zimmer

I finally obtained this CD. Fantastic! I just love Zimmer's music from those end-80s / early 90s years.

Please listen to Margeson's new one Eddie The Eagle if you haven't already. It's the most Days of Thunder score I've heard since the original itself. Pure late 80s bliss!

I listened to it on Spotify and really liked it. Thing is, I have staples of synth music from the 80s and so I think I'll pass on the album collection wise.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Days of Thunder (1990) - Hans Zimmer

I finally obtained this CD. Fantastic! I just love Zimmer's music from those end-80s / early 90s years.

Please listen to Margeson's new one Eddie The Eagle if you haven't already. It's the most Days of Thunder score I've heard since the original itself. Pure late 80s bliss!

I listened to it on Spotify and really liked it. Thing is, I have staples of synth music from the 80s and so I think I'll pass on the album collection wise.

Volker

So have I, but that doesn't make it any less desirable. Where else can I get Dave Grusin, David Foster, DAYS OF THUNDER, CHARIOTS OF FIRE and the theme from ALF all wrapped into one?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2016 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Gilles, if I had your musical tastes, I'm not sure how I could maintain the will to live. suicide

Although if I had your musical tastes, the point would be moot. tongue

No offense mate, but there are no right musical tastes, or tastes in general. We all like different things. I used to react like you do... but really, ask any random person in the street to listen to a score from Powell, how many would like it, how many would be turned off by it... by the mere fact it's instrumental music written for moving images.

Not liking Powell does not make my life less rewarding... I love plenty of music that IS fulfilling. Which makes total sense, because I tend to not like crap... biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I have given this a good amount of thought, pondered it long and hard, considered every side, weighed each argument and counterproposal for nigh to six seconds, and have come to the inescapable conclusion that Edmund is quite right.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Rio 2 - John Powell

Quite a while since I heard such a *happy* score!
    (And now knowing the circumstances in which it was written its vibe is all the more laudable).

Not the very best melodic work Powell has ever done, but the Brazilian rhythms and instrumentation throughout are utterly charming and infectious. And as almost always it's all ever so entertaining!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    ask any random person in the street to listen to a score from Powell, how many would like it, how many would be turned off by it... by the mere fact it's instrumental music written for moving images.

I think you'd be surprised by the result. I've played film music for people who've never even considered it's something you can listen to outside the film; invariably someone likes at least something. The average person won't listen to a whole album, but Powell has written plenty of music with a broad appeal. Only an idiot could fail to see that -- and I'm sure you're much too wise to be an idiot.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I get a lot of positive responses and I think young people today seem far more receptive to many kinds of music than they were when I was a teen/early twenties.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    I get a lot of positive responses and I think young people today seem far more receptive to many kinds of music than they were when I was a teen/early twenties.

yeah

Very very few (okay, exactly none) of my friends are into film scores like we are, but a surprising amount of them do have at least a few pieces scattered through their libraries. Often it's just because of a connection to a particular film, but just as often it's something totally random and obscure. A friend of my girlfriend's sister (...yeah) once has his phone shuffling and Bernard Herrmann's theme from Twisted Nerve came on! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    A friend of my girlfriend's sister (...yeah) once has his phone shuffling and Bernard Herrmann's theme from Twisted Nerve came on! shocked

But that has been used in Kill Bill, so hasn't been very obscure since then. wink
    Kazoo
  3. Yeah, I think that might have been the reason now that you mention it...but still. It threw me off!
  4. Timmer wrote

Indeed. And they are far more knowledgeable about music reaching back as far as the 1950s than I was at that age. Not everyone of course but quite a few.

Volker
  5. NP: Gods of Egypt (2016) - Marco Beltrami

The first score by Beltrami in my collection. I like it a lot. Thematic, melodic, diverse but not random. A fine score.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Ripper Street - Dominik Scherrer

I absolutely adore the show (mainly for its beautiful use of language, although certainly the plot, acting and period settings are all superb), and Scherrer's music certainly enhances it greatly by its vast use of period instruments.

Most of the writing and intrumentation is decidedly modern, and at times carries ever so slight an echo of Zimmer's work on Sherlock Holmes (although, to be honest, that's more the percussive work and the use of the cymbalom than anything else. Honestly this soundtrack stands very well on its own).

The viola/violin/cello work in the score is particularly good, esepcially in more melancholy tracks like 'What Use Of Our Work’, ‘The Beating Of Her Wings' and 'Ashes And Diamonds'.

A very good and moody album that I enjoy much more than I thought I might!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    I'm listening to Batman Begins and it's making me sad. Say what you want about how restrained and melody-light it is, at least Zimmer was inspired, creative, and trying new things back then. 11 years later he sounds more bored than ever before in his career. I don't think there's a single new idea in Neck-man vs. Chest-man: Dawn of Grimdark, and I doubt he composed even 50% of it. I hope it's just the bland and uninspiring film that sapped his creativity...certainly sounds like it would from the reviews, so maybe sometime soon he'll find something to inspire new ideas or at least a clear emotional throughline...maybe Nolan's next film?

Was Zimmer not inspired for Interstellar? it may well be his most inspired since his melodic marvels of the late 90s.

One of his best scores to date, stunning. He gets it, on and off, according to the project etc. Not afraid of Zimmer loosing his mojo smile He just needs the usual good project to spark him off.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

(And now knowing the circumstances in which it was written its vibe is all the more laudable).

Not the very best melodic work Powell has ever done, but the Brazilian rhythms and instrumentation throughout are utterly charming and infectious. And as almost always it's all ever so entertaining!

Overly-happy and fluffy for me wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Nah, there's a hyperactivity and hectic writing in Powell's scores that doesn't sit well with me. When I think about fanfares I think about the Williams kind of the original trilogy. Or the ones in Lost in Space. Can't explain really, but Powell's style is way too kinetic. Apart from Face/Off and Chicken Run I can't sit through an entire album of his that I've heard.

I know what you mean. He DOES lack a sense of dynamics, especially in his latter-day animation scores. But there are some tremendous setpieces nonetheless, esp. in the HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON scores.

I think his more recent scores come out a bit by numbers, less through the heart, and it shows.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Gilles, if I had your musical tastes, I'm not sure how I could maintain the will to live. suicide

Although if I had your musical tastes, the point would be moot. tongue

No offense mate, but there are no right musical tastes, or tastes in general. We all like different things. I used to react like you do... but really, ask any random person in the street to listen to a score from Powell, how many would like it, how many would be turned off by it... by the mere fact it's instrumental music written for moving images.

Not liking Powell does not make my life less rewarding... I love plenty of music that IS fulfilling. Which makes total sense, because I tend to not like crap... biggrin

Random dudes in the street would instantly turn their heads away and turn the music off if it didn't involve hot firm round asses twerking up and down in the screen these days anyway wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote

You could USE a good fluffing. angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Demetris wrote

You could USE a good fluffing. angry

A healthy dose of incest will help!

There are few people who will understand this back and forth. Even fewer attractive females in their 20s...
  6. The Wind and the Lion - Jerry Goldsmith

Wonderful. Each track is so exuberant. I love the orchestration.
    Martijn's comment about happy music made me hungry for some happy music of my own. So naturally I ended up with a score horribly mismatched with this week's news.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Exuberant is the right word. What a fantastic score!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Martijn wrote

I love the woodwinds mimicking bird calls - there's some in the very last track and another somewhere in the middle of the score. Brilliant! Though the first Rio score is much better. smile

Edit: Make sure you get the track "Bola Viva" which is on the song album only - one of John Powell's absolute best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    Though the first Rio score is much better. smile

Funny, that score really did very little for me!

Edit: Make sure you get the track "Bola Viva" which is on the song album only - one of John Powell's absolute best.

thumbsup Done and done! smile
  7. Demetris wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    I'm listening to Batman Begins and it's making me sad. Say what you want about how restrained and melody-light it is, at least Zimmer was inspired, creative, and trying new things back then. 11 years later he sounds more bored than ever before in his career. I don't think there's a single new idea in Neck-man vs. Chest-man: Dawn of Grimdark, and I doubt he composed even 50% of it. I hope it's just the bland and uninspiring film that sapped his creativity...certainly sounds like it would from the reviews, so maybe sometime soon he'll find something to inspire new ideas or at least a clear emotional throughline...maybe Nolan's next film?

Was Zimmer not inspired for Interstellar? it may well be his most inspired since his melodic marvels of the late 90s.

One of his best scores to date, stunning. He gets it, on and off, according to the project etc. Not afraid of Zimmer loosing his mojo smile He just needs the usual good project to spark him off.

Yes, Interstellar is incredible, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise smile I was just hoping for more of an advancement like we got with each new film in the Nolan trilogy, where he played with entire new musical ideas (even if they were as maligned as the one-note theme for the Joker, at least it was something new and interesting). But in BvS it's basically just a small development on Man of Steel with less thematic coherency and seemingly nothing but a s***ton of Junkie Drums for Batman. But maybe there are some subtleties I will find with additional listenings?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: HE NAMED ME MALALA (Thomas Newman)

One of the best scores last year!
    I am extremely serious.
  8. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - Nick Cave and Warren Ellis

Not a great score, but an effective one for the film, and lovely for an overcast afternoon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    Demetris wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Morgan Joylighter wrote

Yes, Interstellar is incredible, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise smile I was just hoping for more of an advancement like we got with each new film in the Nolan trilogy, where he played with entire new musical ideas (even if they were as maligned as the one-note theme for the Joker, at least it was something new and interesting). But in BvS it's basically just a small development on Man of Steel with less thematic coherency and seemingly nothing but a s***ton of Junkie Drums for Batman. But maybe there are some subtleties I will find with additional listenings?

I think he needs another big Nolan project to get inspired. Nolan brings them best out of him, it's incredible. Mediocre stuff all around, or loud and confused Snyder-fests, clearly don't. Plus he creates grandeur when he's left alone (Minions going away, locked away in his room alone and creating mode wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    He racks disciprine!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    THE YOUNG MESSIAH - John Debney

Appropriately enough, this plays out like a prequel score to The Passion of the Christ, where ethnic instrumentation blends with western sounds to create roughly the same vibe in a time in which none of the heavy, serious stuff is happening yet, while none of the themes are formed yet but the instrumentation and the occasional chord progression hints at what is to come later on in the franchise.

It's an incredibly light affair, yes, even hollow, leaving you constantly wishing Debney would develop some of those sounds into either any of his themes for The Passion that he's so teasing, or just a theme, ANY theme, really. The end result is rather hollow and dull, more like those religious TV-movies by a composer imitating the sound of The Passion than the actual composer who once came up with those passionate themes.

None of all this is leaving a lasting impression, and I'm just aching to put on that earlier masterpiece again - I'll probably give Mary Goes to Jesus and Crucifiction another spin, just to have the satisfaction of hearing those themes completed after hearing them being mildly hinted at for over an hour - argh!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I love that score, actually (as I just mentioned a few posts ago). One of the strongest of the year so far, and I've played it repeatedly since I got it. I don't care that it sounds like second-hand PASSION. I'm a sucker for this particular sound, and I think Debney does it incredibly well. I could listen to him do this for hours on end.
    I am extremely serious.