• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2016
    DreamTheater wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Try the Decca Ben-Hur

Not the Vocalion?

Which is what you recommended I should get and I love it dearly.

Same thing. That's a reissue of the Decca. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: DEADPOOL (Junkie XL)

Great score, one of my favourites so far this year!

JUNKIE XL 4-EVER!

Srsly. This is one of the worst cases of pure noise so far this year.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It was until he topped it with his next score. The guy writes absolutely miserable film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2016 edited
    You're all bonkers. He's one of the best out there right now.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'd be worried if you didn't like him. It would require me to reconsider his... er... talent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    It was until he topped it with his next score. The guy writes absolutely miserable film music.

Nothing about it is "film music", really. Can anybody (except the obvious jokers and trolls) name a single scene in any movie scored by Junkie XL that is better than what a competent music editor could have achieved using library music? I think Zimmer's making himself look a bit of a fool by championing the guy so excessively when he doesn't seem to be up to it, but I guess it might just be friendship clouding his judgment (which probably happens to all of us at one time or another).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2016 edited
    The Matrix Revolutions Don Davis

Not as good as Junkie's scores, but it gets by.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin
    You SO bad!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Young Messiah - Debney

When it's good it's really good, but the album's miles too long and basically a diet version of Passion of the Christ.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Avengers 2 Danny Elfman & Brian Tyler

A mess of a score and album. Marvel fucked up as usual concerning the music. But with one massive caveat: this contains the best music written for a Marvel film. Elfman's theme trumps anything written for any Marvel film. I'm including Powell's X Men score. I can't begin to describe how much I love Elfman's music for this film. I pray to Thor (the one with a hammer) that he gets to score another Marvel film.
  1. Steven wrote

I pray to Thor (the one with a hammer) ...

Mmmmpf ... ha ha ha ha ! ROFL bounce
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2016
    Steven wrote

A mess of a score and album. Marvel fucked up as usual concerning the music. But with one massive caveat: this contains the best music written for a Marvel film. Elfman's theme trumps anything written for any Marvel film. I'm including Powell's X Men score. I can't begin to describe how much I love Elfman's music for this film. I pray to Thor (the one with a hammer) that he gets to score another Marvel film.

Elfman's stuff is really good but, IMO, nothing beats X-Men: The Last Stand for non-MCU films and Ant-Man for MCU films.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yep, I know I'm in a huge minority (as it were), but Elfman's Avengers music just works for me. Rarely a day goes by when I'm not humming his theme.
  2. Steven wrote
    Elfman's theme trumps anything written for any Marvel film. I'm including Powell's X Men score.

Nope! dizzy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2016 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    IMO, nothing beats X-Men: The Last Stand for non MCU films

Spider-Man 2?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2016 edited
    I don't think I've ever really, really liked a Marvel score. Sure, there have been OK ones (Doyle's THOR, Elfman's HULK, Horner's SPIDEY, to mention some) and some that have had great, individual tracks, but one where I truly enjoy the whole thing? None. I think the closest may be DEADPOOL, actually.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    I think the closest may be DEADPOOL, actually.

lol Classic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    But true.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Bullshit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Powell's score remains the best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I never cared much for Powell's X-Men III, but then -oddly enough- I never cared much for any superhero film soundtrack outside of Williams' Superman:The Movie and Elfman's Batman Returns.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    I never cared much for Powell's X-Men III, but then -oddly enough- I never cared much for any superhero film soundtrack outside of Williams' Superman:The Movie and Elfman's Batman Returns.

Yeah, the big highlights in the genre are few and far between. But there are some. Especially those I played in my 'superhero' episode of Celluloid Tunes a couple of years ago (also expanded to include a couple if regular heroes -- not just 'super' ones):

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) — «Prologue» — Erich Wolfgang Korngold
    Danger Diabolik (1968) — «Underwater Wah-Wah» — Ennio Morricone
    The Rocketeer (1991) — «Main Titles/Taking Off» — James Horner
    The Crow (1994) — «From the Dead» — Graeme Revell
    The Phantom (1996) — «The Phantom» — David Newman
    Kick-Ass (2010) — «To Brooklyn Bridge» — Marius De Vries
    Ra.One (2011) — «Rafta Rain»/»Song of the End» — Vishal-Shekhar
    Batman (1989) — «Descent Into Mystery» — Danny Elfman
    Batman Forever (1995) — «Fledermausmarchmusik» — Elliot Goldenthal
    The Dark Knight Rises (2012) — «Mind if I Cut In?» — Hans Zimmer
    Superman: The Movie (1978) — «Theme from Superman» — John Williams
    Man of Steel (2013) — «Goodbye My Son»/»Flight» — Hans Zimmer
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Hm ...

1) Superman - Williams
    2) Batman - Elfman
    3) Spider-Man 2 - Elfman
    4) The Amazing Spider-Man - Horner
    5) Batman (Series) - Walker
    6) The Dark Knight - Zimmer
    7) Man of Steel - Zimmer
    8) X-Men III - Powel
    9) Thor - Doyle
    10) Thor II - Tyler
    11) Ghost Rider - Young

That's about it.
    smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote

Yeah, the big highlights in the genre are few and far between. But there are some.

Good list!

Yeah, my "heroes" pllaylist is quite massive as well, and there are a LOT of really good entries.
    But I was referring more to scores in their entirety.

Rocketeer, The Crow, The Phantom and Kick-Ass are excellent scores throughout though, so I may need to rethink my previously mentioned limitation!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    After Williams Superman I vouch for Poledouris Robocop as best superhero score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: VERTICAL LIMIT - James Newton Howard

Probably the Howard score I return to most. Thrilling, sensitively 'ethnic' (not over the top), great theme, a touch Goldsmithian in parts.

Love it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    NP: VERTICAL LIMIT - James Newton Howard

Probably the Howard score I return to most. Thrilling, sensitively 'ethnic' (not over the top), great theme, a touch Goldsmithian in parts.

Love it.

Me too. Seems to be only you & I who really love this one, I know it isn't hated by anyone ( as far as I know ) but it's far lower down the rankings of JNH scores for most score fans.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It went up the list of my favourite JNH scores after I edited an album from the recording sessions. The Varese albums lags during the middle, but the addition of the extra action material elevates it (is that a pun? I'm counting that as a pun). But yeah, it's never been Top 5 material for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

Batman vs superman is actually much more enjoyable than Deadpool. At least it has slower, dramatic breaks smile The other, deadpool, is dreadful noise from start to finish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    The Young Messiah - Debney

When it's good it's really good, but the album's miles too long and basically a diet version of Passion of the Christ.

It's leftovers from Passion. Unused ideas, drafts etc. Sounds like it anyway wink