• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2016
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Missing - James Horner

Nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    The Missing - James Horner

Nice.

Do you stand by your wording of this elaborate review?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I may have over-elaborated slightly but the sentiment was well-intentioned.
  1. Explorers - Jerry Goldsmith

Well, not actually playing now. But it was thirty minutes ago, and my unreserved love for the score moves me to post about it anyway.

Funny to compare this score to E.T., which according to the liner notes was the inaugural project in the "youth science" genre of the 80s. I do like E.T.. And it's most definitely a wonderful score. Unimpeachable. But for every one time I'll listen to E.T., I'll listen to Explorers six or seven times.
  2. Explorers = Jerry in his ultra-fun mode. Because the 80s were the years of fun. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2016
    I love Jerry's mid eighties output. Much fun and adventure to be had.
    I have a real soft spot for Explorers especially!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2016
    NP: The Lighthorsemen - Mario Millo

A rousing, thematic feast of a score!
    I had the LP in the late eighties, loved it then.
    Fallen back in love with the CD release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2016
    NP: The Ghost and the Darkness - Jerry Goldsmith

Fantastic score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Terrific score, think I'll listen to it right now!
  4. "The Bridge," in particular, is just wonderful. Evokes landscape, hard work, adventure, a romantic sense of scale. I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Beyond: Two Souls - Lorne Balfe

This might be my favourite Balfe score. "Jodie's Theme" is terrific, as are the other character themes. Gorgeous video game score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. yeah

Fo sho bro !!!!! beer

HOUR OF THE GUN - Jerry

Great score, with of course a killer theme. I've never heard it originally so I can't compare, but the Prometheus re-recording is a must-have.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. EXECUTIVE DECISION - Jerry

I've always been a fan of the shorter release, so it was a given I'd have to buy the expansion. Because Jerry doing militaristic music for action films always pushes me the right way. The driving rhythmic force is almost constant, just the way I like it, even more varied in this expansion. But there's also the main theme, which is not of Star Trek quality, but it does the trick where I'm concerned, because it's based on this simple but addictive percussive line. It gets its most ear-popping version in track 20 also called 'Executive Decision' (only a minute long). So this new album turns out to be good, even though there's a bit much of suspense going on in the second half. But just like Chain Reaction earlier, which was similarly a nice surprise, this type of action music by Jerry on auto-pilot can still pack a serious punch, more serious than most of the guys getting the action films nowadays.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    The driving rhythmic force is almost constant, just the way I like it

Don't we all.
  7. Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    The driving rhythmic force is almost constant, just the way I like it

Don't we all.

No.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  8. I guess somewhere in the world, there had to be someone who prefers incoherent stop-start action music over the sort that flows naturally... tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Return of the Jedi John Williams

I can never decide which is my favourite: this or Empire. It depends which one I happen to be listening to. Anyway.

I guess it's depressing that just about anything this man has written is more than I'll achieve in a lifetime (I suspect likes on facebook aren't going to get me into the annals of history), but then it's a selfish way to look at something that's given my life so much meaning.

Also, I'm drunk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh right, yes.

fcku off.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You're drunk already at 6.00pm? I can't wait to read your midnight postings.....if you last that long.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That'll be my hangover.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That's me now. Stayed up till 8.00am, got out of bed 3 hours ago. Feel like shit.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2016 edited
    Top of the morning to you! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2016 edited
    vomit beer drink vomit beer drink vomit beer drink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Let's get down to business.

I'll make a man out of you.
  9. Oh, good news, Southall, FilmMusicReporter.com is reporting a second volume of more music from "Deadpool". I know, I can just sense your impending feelings now...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2016
    Timmer wrote
    vomit beer drink vomit beer drink vomit beer drink

Never, I repeat, never get drunk on 63% rum. I considered myself quite the opposite of a lightweight until this drink gave me new wisdom...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    I suspect likes on facebook aren't going to get me into the annals of history

But looking at it from a different point of view (and you know how it is) , as long as you don't get into the anals of history, I would consider you having done quite well!

Steven wrote
    Never, I repeat, never get drunk on 63% rum.

Silly boy.
    What better to get drunk on?
    (Unless it's stroh rum. Vile stuff. A waste of good alcohol)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I dunno, but I'm pretty sure I shat out my liver... which should at least get me into the anals of history.

I've not tried stroh rum though, but at 80% I can only imagine it tastes at least as bad as Wray And Nephew rum. Truly poisonous stuff in every sense of the word. vomit

Appletinis from now on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bellinis, at least, dear boy!
    At least then we boast the company of Patrick Bateman whose favourite cocktail this is.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn