• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2016
    Few people can or ever have written music of that kind, so it's more a case of missing Horner. Anyway. A top 10 score for me. The complete score just affirmed that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: GREEN CARD (Hans Zimmer)

What an underrated gem! Love the haunting calypso-style-soundscape-meets-pop-infused-electro-pop.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. LSH wrote
    NP: THE PERFECT STORM - James Horner

The complete version of course. Man there is some deliciously melodic action music in here that is sadly missing from the official release... and I am sorely missing this kind of music in modern scoring. sad

The song 'Yours Forever' is the perfect send-off. But I have a soft spot for all of Horner's songs, even the ones with cheesy lyrics.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    So all of them then?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: EARTH TO ECHO (Joseph Trapanese)

A break from my Zimmer walkthrough to listen to this wonderful electropop score from a few years ago (for a lousy film that tried to emulate the Spielbergian E.T. aesthetic).
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Steven wrote
    So all of them then?

I guess. To me they actually don't sound cheesy, because I don't analyze lyrics whether they make sense. The melodies have always been more important... duh !!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're preaching to the choir on a forum like this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Aside from Windsong from Mighty Joe Young ( which is absolutely brilliant ) I don't really care for Horner's songs.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2016 edited
    Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones John Williams

The tone of the sequels sounds like a master trying to attempt to fix a broken painting; and a superb job he does of it. But compare this to The Force Awakens, which sounds like a kid in a candy store. (In the best possible way of course, I realise that's a limited metaphor.)
  3. NP: Days of Thunder (1990) - Hans Zimmer

I join the Main Titles Zimmer Festival with this superb score from yesteryear.

I regularly only read score reviews by James, Jon, Synchrotones and Christian Clemmensen. I therefore rarely google score reviews. When I did so on Banos' "Heart of the Sea" today (still undecided) I was surprised to discover how many people have taken up score reviewing as a hobby. One ore two reviews I found were worthwhile to read. Another one seemed to judge every score on whether it sounded like Zimmer or not. I thing, I'll not revisit his site too often.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Steven wrote
    Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones John Williams

The tone of the sequels sounds like a master trying to attempt to fix a broken painting; and a superb job he does of it.

I hear a bit of that. The stuffy formality rubbed off. . . . But then again, it doesn't get more fun than "The Chase through Coruscant."

My favorite cue from the prequels is still "Revenge of the Sith." Not the best cue but one I can listen to endlessly. That militaristic rendition of the Force theme early on is like lightning bolts for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    I regularly only read score reviews by James, Jon, Synchrotones and Christian Clemmensen. I therefore rarely google score reviews. When I did so on Banos' "Heart of the Sea" today (still undecided) I was surprised to discover how many people have taken up score reviewing as a hobby

Tell me about it! That's one of the reasons why I wanted to do a radio show, and not reviews. Then again, film music webcasts and podcasts are also quite commonplace (podcasts, in general, have become one of the hottest things around), so I'm not sure if it's any better. Plus, I'm thinking about expanding my site to include reviews (half Norwegian, half English -- with a special section on Scandinavian soundtracks, obviously).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE HOUSE OF THE SPIRITS (Hans Zimmer)

Can't believe I sold this once upon a time. Had to re-acquire it. So much goosebump-inducing slowness and beauty.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. One of his best and most underrated scores, really. At that point of his career, with a possible exception of Fools of Fortune which probably even less people even heard, nobody knew he could do something which such a classical sound. While not fully in terms of quality, in terms of structure, I'd call it Hans Zimmer's Legends of the Fall.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    One of his best and most underrated scores, really. At that point of his career, with a possible exception of Fools of Fortune which probably even less people even heard, nobody knew he could do something which such a classical sound. While not fully in terms of quality, in terms of structure, I'd call it Hans Zimmer's Legends of the Fall.

That's a good comparison.

I heard A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN recently, and I think that's about as symphonic as he gets (although there are some period jazz cues as well). But yeah -- this is pretty damn close.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: INCEPTION (Hans Zimmer)

A contemporary classic!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2016
    Thor wrote

A contemporary classic!

Quite possibly my favourite HZ.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. With INCEPTION and INTERSTELLAR Zimmer has gone down in the canon of classic science fiction scores.
  7. ^

A truer post has never been posted on this posting board. You are a wise poster. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    He could be our new poster boy! wink
  8. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

A contemporary classic!

Quite possibly my favourite HZ.

sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2016 edited
    (I don't mean to occupy this thread with all these Zimmer posts, but it's my way of coping with the fact that I don't get to see him live on his tour, which just started. Don't worry, the Zimmer walkthrough will be over soon.)

NP: INTERSTELLAR (Hans Zimmer)

Masterpiece film and score. In terms of build-ups, even Ravel would be proud.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: K2 (Hans Zimmer)

A personal favourite that has stuck with me since the early days of my film music fandom. Great ethnic colours, electric Gilmour-like guitars (Pete Haycock?) and just an expansive sound overall. I don't understand why it was replaced with Chaz Jankel in the European release.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think the reason I like it is because of the 'Gilmour' like guitar work.
  9. Thor wrote

A personal favourite that has stuck with me since the early days of my film music fandom. Great ethnic colours, electric Gilmour-like guitars (Pete Haycock?) and just an expansive sound overall. I don't understand why it was replaced with Chaz Jankel in the European release.

I don't understand the sequencing of the CD.
  10. Atham wrote
    He could be our new poster boy! wink

Ha! smile
  11. Timmer wrote
    I think the reason I like it is because of the 'Gilmour' like guitar work.

Given my new-found adoration for Pink Floyd I should give K2 another try, which didn't do a lot to me. It's been 2 decades ago, I think. dizzy

THE DEVIL'S OWN - Horner

He may never be remembered for this one by the general public, but it's actually one of his most original scores. I've always liked the well thought-out instrumentation a lot, not excessively orchestral as his other work, and not low-key either. There's a celtic element but not as present as in Braveheart. The music is understated but very memorable, sometimes wonderful. Back in the 90s he was still massively inspired, Hollywood had still some good projects for him to work on, and even if the film completely went under the rader, its score deserves to be acknowledged as a truly inspired work.
  12. Thor wrote

The story goes like this. And the European release actually has the Zimmer score (which gave once a very rare shoutout to the film composer in public Polish TV advertisement of the film!).

Jankel wrote a score, but the director and/or producers didn't like it. The director was good friends with Hans, so he asked him to write new music. In the end, a shorter, American, cut of the film retained the Ja, kel score and Hans' score was kept in the longer European cut.

The Jankel score was never released, but this has led to the difference in CD covers between the US and Europe. In America it's "Music inspired by the film", in Europe (and having a different design) it's sold as the film score. Because I got this as a birthday gift from a MainTitles member (thanks, Kevin!), I have the US release of the score on CD.
  13. The album was sequenced by... Robert Townson.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That's strange, because when the film was shown on Norwegian TV back in the 90s, it had the Jankel score. Maybe they "bought" the American version.
    I am extremely serious.