• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2016 edited
    NP: THE LAST SAMURAI (Hans Zimmer)

Very much a transitional score -- elements of post-GLADIATOR gimmicks while pointing towards the big, brassy, chord-leap style of later work. I love it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    THE WALK - Silvestri

My most rewarding listen so far. The film is great, but the score is mixed quite poorly in certain scenes, as a matter of fact the action music barely registers in the film. But on the album the action cues sound great. And it is for the most part very entertaining Silvestri, something which doesn't happen too often anymore. The ethereal theme for the actual walk is lovely and I like the jazzy cues a lot (Spy Work for instance).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2016
    NP : WOLF TOTEM - James Horner

I love this. How sad to think we'll never have a future assignment for this great composer.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's an injustice Horner died, yet James Cameron gets to keep on making Avatar films.

Somebody needs to tell him nobody gives a shit about Avatar, aside from hipsters and morons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

I love this. How sad to think we'll never have a future assignment for this great composer.

True, but there's still unreleased material left from his past. That will be a tiny comfort, at least.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    It's an injustice Horner died, yet James Cameron gets to keep on making Avatar films.

Somebody needs to tell him nobody gives a shit about Avatar, aside from hipsters and morons.

I'm proud to be in the company of Steven's hipsters and morons!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

Yes indeed. I care about Avatar, because I care about everything JC does. I'm sure that he'll be making VR movies in 10 years time and I'll be first in line. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE LION KING (Hans Zimmer)

I played this to death in the 90s, first on a copied cassette, then on CD. I know everything by heart. Still, it's been a while. As some of you know, several of the Elton John songs are on my 'karaoke repertoire'.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Probably a stupid question but that's not the Legacy release? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Probably a stupid question but that's not the Legacy release? wink

The new one with the fancy artwork? Nope, it's the original release. Is there any difference, content-wise?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    The fancy artwork... and all that fantastic extra material which fans have been wanting since '94. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

Yes indeed. I care about Avatar, because I care about everything JC does. I'm sure that he'll be making VR movies in 10 years time and I'll be first in line. smile

I rest my case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    (I don't mean to occupy this thread with all these Zimmer posts, but it's my way of coping with the fact that I don't get to see him live on his tour, which just started. Don't worry, the Zimmer walkthrough will be over soon.)

NP: INTERSTELLAR (Hans Zimmer)

Masterpiece film and score. In terms of build-ups, even Ravel would be proud.

What's Graeme Ravel got to do with it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: My Elmer Bernstein playlist

What an exceptional composer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Four sequels FOUR of them!?? I enjoyed Dances With Cosmic Wolves In Space ( at least visually ) but where the hell is it going next? I'd prefer Cameron went with something new and original.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    (I don't mean to occupy this thread with all these Zimmer posts, but it's my way of coping with the fact that I don't get to see him live on his tour, which just started. Don't worry, the Zimmer walkthrough will be over soon.)

He's Maurice's brother, Maurice wrote the score to Torvill & Dean's Olympic gold winning ice skating routine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: GLADIATOR (Hans Zimmer)

There isn't a lot of stuff I can say about these things that hasn't already been said, but although I played this countless times in the early 2000s, it's been a while now. One of the most influential scores in the last 16 years.

A modern classic. It's gorgeous.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE HOUSE OF THE SPIRITS (Hans Zimmer)

Can't believe I sold this once upon a time. Had to re-acquire it. So much goosebump-inducing slowness and beauty.

It's a beautiful, pre-TTRL exercise on what was to later become his best score to date, imo (TTRL).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Captain Future wrote
    With INCEPTION and INTERSTELLAR Zimmer has gone down in the canon of classic science fiction scores.

Absolutely, top film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Absolutely gorgeous. Such a great swan song for a vast career, and one of the most important film composers ever. A path sadly cut short.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

I rest my case.

Vr movies? oh my Gott. Bring me the bucket wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

Speaking of him, and i was listening his mystique, ethereal RED PLANET the other day, where is he? retired?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    For Greater Glory - James Horner

God, I love this. I know, I know. I just can't help it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    GABRIEL YARED - the english patient

Not a fan of the movie, but that opening, that main title, is gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    So all of them then?

Oh so true. 90's cheesiness at its worst smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2016
    GEORGE DELERUE - Agnes of God

Mein Gott, film music rarely got more sweeping and beautiful than Delerue. Esp. in a score like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Captain Future wrote
    Atham wrote
    He could be our new poster boy! wink

Ha! smile

PERFECT!!! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

Speaking of him, and i was listening his mystique, ethereal RED PLANET the other day, where is he? retired?

He's currently doing the Gotham tv-series, ongoing since 2014. Since he isn't doing anything else since 2013, let's say it's a project that keeps him occupied enough to have some work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    GEORGE DELERUE - Agnes of God

Mein Gott, film music rarely got more sweeping and beautiful than Delerue. Esp. in a score like that.

Not too keen on the suspense tracks (I never am with Delerue), but the rest is pure religious bliss, of course!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Southall wrote
    For Greater Glory - James Horner

God, I love this. I know, I know. I just can't help it.

There is NOTHING wrong with you. Trust my good common sense. Because I happen to love it too. wink