• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2016
    JOSEPH TRAPANESE - Allegiant

I am a sucker for this man's music. Love this tron/inception/oblivion amalgam and he does it so good. Unoriginal for sure, but damn fun and enjoyable. Why doesn't Z team up with him instead of the junk composer?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    When people complain about modern film music, this is exactly the sort of score I think of. dizzy It's rubbish!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2016 edited
    Well, it's not all black and white to me smile I don't have a problem with composers who have established such sound from the beginning and this is how we got to know them. However, when you get to hear older, previously symphonic composers, being forced or are - rather i should say - struggling to sound like this in order to keep gigs coming in, then it's disappointing and gives a general idea of how things are in Hollywood these days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's a good point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    There's a lot of modern film music i enjoy. But in the 2nd case, the results are mostly forced, uninspired and well, sad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    DreamTheater wrote
    BROTHERS IN ARMS: HELL'S HIGHWAY - Ed Lima & Duncan Watt

A game score for a first-person shooter set in World War II that only lasts 23 minutes. rolleyes

Not worth your time? Think again ! Because this score is absolutely brilliant. Fully orchestral and with a powerful choir to back it up. And most important of all: ONE HELL OF A MAIN THEME punk

IMO this is hands down one of the best videogame soundtracks ever composed. The only downside about this is that it's so terribly short.

Here's a suite I made if you still need convincing. smile

Now that is GOOD!
    Cheers for pointing it out!
  1. I don't know. Yeah, I guess it's sad to hear e.g. Patrick Doyle sound like RC, but I still think his take on RC (referring mostly to Thor) is a good sight more enjoyable than most of what RC itself puts out, simply because Doyle's chops and melodic sense go a long way towards elevating that material. Would I have rather heard a more "purely Doyle" approach to that film? Sure - but I think what we got is a worthy score in its own right (not to mention the fact that "Doyle does RC" is kind of a unique thing in and of itself).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Doyle, Silvestri, JNH (some cases), Fernando Velasquez, Banos too in some instances, Federico Jusid, Lucas Vidal, Eyquem, etc, when trying to sound RC it's mostly inferior to actual RC, imo, and all sad cases to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    GEORGE FENTON - Bears

Fascinating. The whole series of docus of him doing this grand nature-themed music, is perfect, he's long found his place and identity in these scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JERRY GOLDSMITH - Air force one

Stunning and adrenaline-fueled.
  2. Demetris wrote
    Doyle, Silvestri, JNH (some cases), Fernando Velasquez, Banos too in some instances, Federico Jusid, Lucas Vidal, Eyquem, etc, when trying to sound RC it's mostly inferior to actual RC, imo, and all sad cases to me.

Yeah, see, I don't necessarily agree. The lost potential might be greater but Doyle is so much better at writing themes than the majority of the RC composers that a score like Thor ends up having much more appeal to me than your average Djawadi, Balfe etc. effort. Ditto for Velazquez' Hercules score, which I think is a ton of fun.

Also, I don't believe Silvestri has ever attempted to sound like RC!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    TERENCE BLANCHARD - 25th hour

This score has so, so many highlights. Pure winner, pure gold. Same goes for his Katrina score.

Great composer. I'd give him the next Bond film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I don't know. Yeah, I guess it's sad to hear e.g. Patrick Doyle sound like RC, but I still think his take on RC (referring mostly to Thor) is a good sight more enjoyable than most of what RC itself puts out, simply because Doyle's chops and melodic sense go a long way towards elevating that material. Would I have rather heard a more "purely Doyle" approach to that film? Sure - but I think what we got is a worthy score in its own right (not to mention the fact that "Doyle does RC" is kind of a unique thing in and of itself).

I can't get past 'okay' with Doyle's Thor. I suspect pressure from producers, I can't imagine Brannagh insisting Doyle give him an RC score, this should have been Doyle in Henry V mode.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    TERENCE BLANCHARD - 25th hour

This score has so, so many highlights. Pure winner, pure gold. Same goes for his Katrina score.

Great composer. I'd give him the next Bond film.

Absolutely. Result would be guaranteed fresh smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    En mai, fait ce qu’il te plait - Ennio Morricone

The amount and quality of beautiful music he's written through the years (and still does, this is a 2015 score!) is inconceivable to apprehend. Along with John Williams, the last 2 truly great maestros we are blessed with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MICHAEL GIACCHINO - Jupiter Ascending

Fantastic score. Every note of it has so much energy in it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    En mai, fait ce qu’il te plait - Ennio Morricone

The amount and quality of beautiful music he's written through the years (and still does, this is a 2015 score!) is inconceivable to apprehend. Along with John Williams, the last 2 truly great maestros we are blessed with.

The last two true giants of film music.
  3. Demetris wrote
    N.P. Qigang Chen - the flowers of War

Solemn and poetic, the overlooked film imo, has a gorgeous score. Lush and elegant, nostalgic and deeply romantic. With lots of talent, like Joshua Bell, Allmanna Sangen and a top-notch China Philharmonic Orchestra, this score is full of gems, especially the love theme.

That is a very good score. The choir work in it is my favorite thing about it. There is so much achingly beautiful music on that album. Great stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, THE FLOWERS OF WAR is fantastic.

Demetris, have you been listening through all the IFMCA promos from a couple of years ago? Very familiar 2013/2014-ish titles you've been playing over the last few weeks....
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Timmer wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I don't know. Yeah, I guess it's sad to hear e.g. Patrick Doyle sound like RC, but I still think his take on RC (referring mostly to Thor) is a good sight more enjoyable than most of what RC itself puts out, simply because Doyle's chops and melodic sense go a long way towards elevating that material. Would I have rather heard a more "purely Doyle" approach to that film? Sure - but I think what we got is a worthy score in its own right (not to mention the fact that "Doyle does RC" is kind of a unique thing in and of itself).

I can't get past 'okay' with Doyle's Thor. I suspect pressure from producers, I can't imagine Brannagh insisting Doyle give him an RC score, this should have been Doyle in Henry V mode.

While I think that the album is too long, I think that Thor and Rise of the Planet of the Apes (which does transcend the style at times!) show how to write a score that uses certain RCP techniques and still remain a worthy proposition in their particular genres.

Jack Ryan on the other hand takes it too far. While I approach a very modern approach for that story and that character, Ryan deserves something quite else. I could go on about this, but that would demand a reference to the novels and to the origins of what Zimmer did back in the mid-90s.

While I don't think I ever expressed it on this board, I think that when considering the MV/RCP approach in film music we should be taking into account the moment and films where the style was created. If we consider the major action films Zimmer scored through Backdraft and generally his career back then, you would notice that action, actually, wasn't his main line of work at the time. On the other hand you do have Backdraft and Black Rain, which are almost tentpole action films. But who, today, remembers films such as Point of No Return (never seen it, from what I heard it's a very, very bad remake of Besson's Nikita) and Drop Zone? K-2 is something else, because while some of the material is the typical Hans Zimmer action sound on a bigger scale (and in a James Horner move that early in his career, one of the action themes would turn up as a main theme in Drop Zone). He was mostly scoring small-scale dramas, expanding on the electronic approach in Rain Man and Driving Miss Daisy, still one of his most recognizable work (to the point that when the film was parodied in a Leslie Nielsen, the composer, I think Bill Conti, actually parodied the score itself as well). s

The string of action films Hans scored 1995 to 1997 shows quite well what they are through the films' storylines. Mark Mancina's scores from the same era (though him even in 1994) also show that particular element, even if not to that point. Let's give a quick outline. Submarines (Crimson Tide), nuclear weapon theft (Broken Arrow, The Peacemaker), chemical warfare theft and special forces incursion (The Rock). These are technothrillers. The genre of technothriller as created by Michael Crichton and, particularly relevant here, Tom Clancy, who put the technology element big time into his espionage/political thrillers also follows suit: A Soviet submarine captain defects to America (Hunt for the Red October, obviously), satellite surveillance used to attack terrorists (Patriot Games), Americans try to recover a spy while the Soviets try to infiltrate the "star wars" (SDI?) program (Cardinal of the Kremlin). Murder of the President's good friend leads to a massive (and illegal) black ops operation (with full use of surveillance techniques old-school and modern) against Colombian cartels (Clear and Present Danger) and, eventually, terrorists blow a nuclear weapon on Superbowl which leads to a Soviet/US stand-off near the end of the Cold War (Sum of All Fears).

What's my point? While Hans never got a shot in these projects (James Horner, as we all know, did most of them, but all that all the Ryan scores have in common - from Poledouris to Goldsmith - is, in fact, a large role for electronics!), that's the kind of stories he developed his action style for. That was also his general style, but then he'd go off to do an animated and live action historical epic (Prince of Egypt and Gladiator), a harrowing war film (which was totally something different for him), a heavy metal action score, a horror film, shisme animation and stuff. Knowing all that we go into the new, more ambient, post-Nolan sound. For Hans that is his style. But the problem is in the fact that it sells. It's popular with the fanbase, the films are successful (Nolan in particular) and the producers took the wrong note. Same with the popularity of Junkie XL - now he's basically hired due to the success of Mad Max. Because if the film sells, the whole crew does.

Back to Jack Ryan, having it scored the way it was would be finally making use of what the style originally stood for. Sadly, except one or two themes, they referred to the wrong sound. The newer, post-Bourne one.

Sorry for this a bit convoluted rant, but I think the historical aspect in terms of the dominating style should be pointed out and, even, used as part of the uniformity criticism of modern film scores.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote

Demetris, have you been listening through all the IFMCA promos from a couple of years ago? Very familiar 2013/2014-ish titles you've been playing over the last few weeks....

I am on shuffle on my hard disk, but i've tossed and deleted through the years a shitload of scores i will never listen to again therefore i kept only the good stuff smile And a lot, A LOT of goof stuff came from you IFMCA guys from back when i was a member wink How was this year? any similarly good stuff i should look for?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

I am on shuffle on my hard disk, but i've tossed and deleted through the years a shitload of scores i will never listen to again therefore i kept only the good stuff smile

I'm thinking of doing the same, simply because more than 25.000 tracks takes up a lot of space on my hard drive, and I'm running out of space...

I've kept some scores for the faint possibility I might like them down the road, but I should really make some hard decisions like you.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

I am on shuffle on my hard disk, but i've tossed and deleted through the years a shitload of scores i will never listen to again therefore i kept only the good stuff smile

I'm thinking of doing the same, simply because more than 25.000 tracks takes up a lot of space on my hard drive, and I'm running out of space...

I've kept some scores for the faint possibility I might like them down the road, but I should really make some hard decisions like you.

You know what i did? i put my entire (huge) hard disk music folder on winamp shuffle and whenever i stumbled upon crappy style of film music for my tastes, i deleted the whole album smile So there's much less stuff i don't actually like on the hard disk anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    How was this year? any similarly good stuff i should look for?

Yes, some good stuff. Those that have managed to be imported into my iTunes (which is the ultimate seal of approval) include MIRACLES FROM HEAVEN (Carlo Siliotto), PEE-WEE'S BIG HOLIDAY (Mark Mothersbaugh), BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN (my 38-minute playlist of the best tracks), BIRKEBEINERNE (Gaute Storaas), DEADPOOL (JXL), JOURNEY TO MECCA (Michael Brook), EDDIE THE EAGLE (Matthew Margeson), THE YOUNG MESSIAH (John Debney), TALE OF A LAKE (Panu Aaltio), LAMB (Daniel Berardinelli), TORDENSKJOLD & KOLD (Henrik Skram).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks man. Mark Mothersbaugh is not my thing and i hated Deadpool but i will check out the rest. The Young Messiah is POTC Le, enjoyable but forgettable. And there's a new Skram out? I remember liking his 90 minutes score from 2012 when he first came into the radar, a lot!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MICHAEL NYMAN - Wonderland

Not a fan of everything he's done, especially the tough, minimalistic dissonant and deadly-repetitive scores he's done, but stuff like this is simply irresistible for my tastes. Like Gattaca. Sweet, melancholic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Thanks man. Mark Mothersbaugh is not my thing and i hated Deadpool but i will check out the rest. The Young Messiah is POTC Le, enjoyable but forgettable. And there's a new Skram out? I remember liking his 90 minutes score from 2012 when he first came into the radar, a lot!

I'm sure you remember BALLET BOYS, which IMO is Skram's best so far? It was in the IFMCA system a couple of years ago.

I know I'm in the minority on DEADPOOL, but that's OK.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    CHRISTOPHER YOUNG - Creation

His most beautiful and solemn score to date, imo. That cue, "Humility and Love" always brings me to tears. Very strong movie, extremely well-acted too. A great match.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote

I'm sure you remember BALLET BOYS, which IMO is Skram's best so far? It was in the IFMCA system a couple of years ago.

I know I'm in the minority on DEADPOOL, but that's OK.

I remember hearing it i think, but nothing surpassed his 90 minutes for me so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    GEORGES DELERUE - To kill a priest

Contains one of my all-time favorite Delerue compositions: "Suicide Or State Of War"