• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I absolutely adore the music of Chan Wook Park's 'Sympathy for Lady Vengeance'. And the second best film of the Vengeance Trilogy, after Oldboy.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2016
    Deadpool Junkie XL & Various

Junkie's score is okay, works well enough in the film. Certainly doesn't ruin the film. The best thing is the Deadpool rap. It's fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2016
    Steven wrote
    Deadpool Junkie XL & Various

Junkie's score is okay, works well enough in the film. Certainly doesn't ruin the film. The best thing is the Deadpool rap. It's fantastic.

Great album, one of my favs of the year. Haven't seen the film yet, though. I think I might like it from what I've read.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    One of the best Marvel films ever made. Top 3 I'd say.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't remember the score but yes, great film, loved it, rude and fun.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I liked it because the stakes weren't 'end of the world', but more focused on one character. That's why it worked. Yes, the fourth wall-breaking and the in-jokes helped, but it took its time to tell its story from the perspective of the main character. And what a character it is.

This film made me realise it's not superhero films I've fed up with; it's sequels to superhero films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ..which of course this will get. slant
  2. I do wish the actual plot of Deadpool hadn't been such cookie-cutter X-Men pablum, complete with stock mutant-experimentation villain. Of course, that may have been the point, the better for Deadpool to riff upon.

What score?
  3. NP: Miami Vice (1984) - Jan Hammer

This is right up there with Das Boot, Blade Runner or Twin Peaks. Synth scoring just doesn't get any better.

(On a related note, do you think that CSI: Miami's Horatio Cane was a little bit inspired by Sonny Crockett?)

cool Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2016 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Miami Vice (1984) - Jan Hammer

This is right up there with Das Boot, Blade Runner or Twin Peaks. Synth scoring just doesn't get any better.

(On a related note, do you think that CSI: Miami's Horatio Cane was a little bit inspired by Sonny Crockett?)

cool Volker

Are you playing the 2CD set or one of the various volumes? The 2CD set of just Hammer's score cues is one of my dearest soundtrack possessions. It actually got me through the writing of my master thesis back in 2003/2004. I'm aware that it goes for big bucks on the secondary market, but I'm never selling it.

On that note, I'd love to get a MIAMI VICE release of Tim Truman's gorgeous music for the later seasons. Like this fantastic cue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX-9D4qCljc
    I am extremely serious.
  4. yeah

Actually I was playing "Escape from Television", which features the radio version of Crockett's Theme. I prefer that to the version heard on other releases.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Trek II - James Horner

C'est magnifique, as they say in Germany.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2016
    Titan A.E - Graeme Revell

Playing this for the third time in recent days. It’s such a great score, full of colour, invention and diversity - no two cues sound alike really. It's also one of the best amalgamations of orchestral and electronic elements I've ever heard. It's mostly orchestra but the synths, when used, are integrated seamlessly and never feel out of place.
  5. Southall wrote
    Star Trek II - James Horner

C'est magnifique, as they say in Germany.

Close but no cigar as they say in Russia. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Seventh Son - Marco Beltrami

It's a keeper, this one. The main theme is so damn good. The action music's not half bad either.
  6. ERASER - Silvestri

The expanded release kicks so much ass... I think Silvestri's one of the best action composers ever. This is one where he absolutely shined in that department.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJ. Flaherty
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2016 edited
    Alice in Wonderland - Danny Elfman

Spirited, cohesive, and consistently arresting. Transports you as carelessly as a good children's story, but with all Elfman's tried and true techniques -- so, a little fiendishly.

With the exception of this score, I've lost touch with my formerly favorite composer since 2008's Milk, which was a score I loved and feel has been a bit overlooked. It gave me such sustained rewards that I never felt a need to tune in fully for Elfman's 2008-2016 output. Was satisfied, I guess. (Other kinds of music were keeping me occupied at the time too. That had a lot to do with it.)

I've listened to a grand total of 1.5 decontextualized minutes of Alice Through the Looking Glass. And if you'll permit an unfair evaluation: Superficially, it sounds the way many of Elfman's sequel scores sound: more choir, more forceful with awe (aweful?). A bit like a neurotic host who worries his second or third party has to outperform the successes of his first. Inviting the listener along is replaced with a command to follow along. And damn it, enjoy yourself more than you did the first time.

*sigh*

2004's Spider-Man 2 certainly satisfies that description.
    But I do visit it more often than its predecessor. It's the brass writing and the choppy timing in "Train/Appreciation" that does it. I just love that cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    Alice Though the Looking Glass - Danny Elfman

First listen. It is pretty nice (and far better than the annoying, bland and forgettable Goosebumps score). It may be more ambitious than the first Alice score too, but it is not as distinctive as the first and too much of it comes off as by the numbers orchestral posturing and there is also the feeling that he ran out of ideas, or perhaps more accurately, the feeling that he has too many ideas and run wild with them instead of structuring them properly and coherently. I rarely feel that he has "earned" the "right" for all these unimpressive bombastic things that he does here. It might make sense in context, but I am not a fan of this kind of micky-mousing. Anyhow, it is a quite messy and uneven affair, but it has its moments which are mostly of the calmer kind. There is a pretty solid 25 minutes or so to be found somewhere here between all the schizophrenia.

I am expecting most score fans to like this more than I do though (i'm not a big Elfman fan to begin with even if I do like a fair chunk of his stuff, mostly older things though). This means i'm not too surprised that it does not live up to the "hype". Alice Theme is perhaps the greatest thing Elfman has done this century, at least one of the greatest and there is no new piece that comes anywhere close to that here which is a bit of a disappointment, even if it is still quite nice to hear some pretty good new stuff and hear the Alice theme utilized often throughout the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    ALICE IN WONDERLAND is one of the best Elfman scores in the last 10 years, IMO. So you can imagine I'm looking forward to the sequel score.

That being said, I've long since grown weary of his "bigger" blockbuster scores. These days, my main attraction to him is the smaller, indie films where gets to explore softer textures, often inspired by the minimalist stylings that his "Sereneda Schizophrana" ushered in.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    These days, my main attraction to him is the smaller, indie films where gets to explore softer textures, often inspired by the minimalist stylings that his "Sereneda Schizophrana" ushered in.

Me too. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Poltergeist Jerry Goldsmith

C'est magnifique, as they say in The Netherlands.
  8. Southall wrote
    First Knight - Jezza

Glorious.

beer

Steven wrote

beer beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2016
    Steven wrote

Fucking blinding as they say in Syria.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2016 edited
    Poltergeist still is for me his most magnificent work. I know the first Star Trek is regarded as the greater masterpiece, but for me that wondrous, creepy and often gorgeous music is just brilliant on all levels. Goosebumps all the way. Plus the music elevates the film into the classic terrifying film it really is, as dated as the visuals now appear to be.

And I've come around too on the sequel score, even though it's a totally different score. The Kritzerland release has really opened my ears whereas back in the day Poltergeist II did nothing for me. How much a superb remaster can change one's opinion on something. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think I'm the only person on the planet who doesn't particularly care for POLTERGEIST.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Ah ha. YOU'RE that person! shocked
  9. Didn't you hear? Goldsmith sucks at electronics!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Didn't you hear? Goldsmith sucks at electronics!

He does, but thankfully there aren't that many in POLTERGEIST. That score doesn't connect with me for other reasons (although I do find the lullaby quite lovely).
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Jerry was a master of electronics. I don't know where you got your info, but it's a complete fabrication. slant