• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: NAPOLA (2005) - Angelo Badalamenti; Normand Corbeil

A stunning score. "Death of Albrecht" is probably my quintessential Badalamti cue.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: The New World (2006) - James Horner

One of his best, without doubt.

All you lurkers, come into the open already. We have some vacancies to fill here.

Volker
  3. Captain Future wrote
    NP: First Knight (1995) - Jerry Goldsmith

The term is speedily coming to and end. The last three days I took part in a fantasy role play with 13 year old students acting as humans, elves, dwarves etc in the midst of the wood that culminated today in hewing down teachers dressed up as Orgs, thus defeating evil as allies. biggrin

Listening to this outstanding score is a wonderful way to recover from this.

knight Volker

Very cool!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2016 edited
    NP: THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION - Thomas Newman

Not the recent expansion, unfortunately. I really wish to hear something like this again from Newman. This is him at his absolute best (although he's always interesting and entirely functional at his worst) but he needs the right film.

The score is so much more emotional when you are familiar with the film itself, in the same way that The Green Mile affects. I really hope Darabont hires him again soon.
  4. Captain Future wrote
    NP: The New World (2006) - James Horner

One of his best, without doubt.

All you lurkers, come into the open already. We have some vacancies to fill here.

Volker

"All is Lost" is one of my favorite pieces of music ever.

PARTITION - Tyler

This score really showcases Tyler's skill composing lovely themes. Just listen to the end credits where you can hear them all. This is the kind of score that I wish Tyler got to write more often.
  5. Which lovely theme are you referring to? The one from The Mask of Zorro or the one that uses the four chords of pop? wink
  6. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Which lovely theme are you referring to? The one from The Mask of Zorro or the one that uses the four chords of pop? wink

I do have a soft spot for the Zorro theme. As used in New World, that is.

NP: Minority Report - The Musical Genius Who the World Takes for Granted

I'm finding the Herrmann-isms very rewarding on this listen. And after having spent some time with the A.I. expanded release earlier this year, it's a treat to hear some of the same musical language put through a good, hard workout.

I'd never noticed before that the "Spyders" material bears a striking resemblance to the alien material Williams wrote for "The Fairy Scene" in War of the Worlds.

"Everybody Runs" and "Anderton's Great Escape" make such a great pair of cues.
  7. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Which lovely theme are you referring to? The one from The Mask of Zorro or the one that uses the four chords of pop? wink

Both! And there are three other themes I really like from that score, all of which feature in that "End Credits" piece. I never noticed any similarity between this score and ZORRO until you mentioned it just now. It's not a terribly close similarity to my ears.

NP - I AM BIG BIRD - Joshua Johnson

I think this score is just wonderful. This may seem strange to some, but I think this might just be my favorite score from last year. It's just my kind of thing.
  8. The Big Country - Jerome Moross

Indulging some American grandeur.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2016 edited
    NP - WOLF TOTEM - Horner

I like this more each time I hear it. The first couple times I thought I was listening to a score that was pretty good with some great highlights, but the more I listen to it the more I'm thinking of it as a very solid Horner score all the way around. And that last track is just fantastic. One of Horner's best, IMO.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2016
    I thought it was great from the off. A superb Horner score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2016
    J. Flaherty wrote
    The Big Country - Jerome Moross

Indulging some American grandeur.

It don't get better than that masterpiece.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. THE BFG - John Williams

Hmm. I'm . . . disappointed. It's okay, but most of it is that a-thematic frenetic action-y kind of music that doesn't do anything for me. There aren't too many standout moments. You can get almost all of them in the final track, which is quite good. But there's a lot of this score that was just there and didn't feel like it was doing much. Maybe future listens will change my mind. I hope they will.
  10. NP: …Continuavano a Chiamarlo Trinità / Vier Fäute für ein Halleluja (1971) - Guido & Maurizio De Angilis

Italo Pop meats Morricone. A great melange.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2016
    BFG John Williams

It's a new John Williams score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2016
    I would warrant you to keep your own counsel rather than splurt out such outrageous statements.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I apologise. Sometimes my emotions get the better of me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Quantum of Solace David Arnold

Being a David Arnold fan sucks.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Quantum of Solace David Arnold

Being a David Arnold fan sucks.

Being a John Barry fan sucked during the latter part of his life but at least he'd had an incredibly long and varied career. Arnold is still very young and I've no idea why he isn't scoring any films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2016 edited
    He's a very no-nonsense kind of guy, for which I have a lot of respect, so I suppose he wasn't willing to put up with the bullshit of Hollywood? I sympathise, but I wish he would put up with it. I just hope he comes back to Bond and it isn't given to Henry fucking Jackson.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    He's a very no-nonsense kind of guy, for which I have a lot of respect, so I suppose he wasn't willing to put up with the bullshit of Hollywood? I sympathise, but I wish he would put up with it. I just hope he comes back to Bond and it isn't given to Henry fucking Jackson.

Very possible. Good points here.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2016 edited
    Steven wrote

Well, I respect that as well and I've no doubt the many times Arnold spent with Barry reinforced that 'no bullshit' stuff, Barry was notorious for telling people where to stick it but like I said, he'd already had an incredible career by then, like or not our composers have to be more flexible now, for better but mostly for worse to keep the gigs flowing. If Arnold wants stuff he will have to 'put up with it'.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I want to hear Desplat do a Bond film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That would be fantastic, but given Arnold's lack of film projects, and that he knows how to score the shit out of a Bond film, I wouldn't want it to go to anyone else. John Powell would be an equally great choice, but he's still in the game, so it would still be a loss for Arnold fans because the Bond films seem to be the only way he'll score anything these days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote

Please, no.

Then again, I don't really care as I don't really care about Bond. I just don't want Desplat to score anything.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. I think Desplat and Giacchino should write a duet for tuba and timpani and play it in front of Thor's place 24 hours a day. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    I think Desplat and Giacchino should write a duet for tuba and timpani and play it in front of Thor's place 24 hours a day. wink

I think Desplat and Giacchino should retire from film scoring, get a cabin together in the woods and play directionless, anonymous music to each other untill they achieve the perfect level of mediocrity.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2016
    Anthony wrote

Yes! That would be great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    I think Desplat and Giacchino should write a duet for tuba and timpani and play it in front of Thor's place 24 hours a day. wink

Is there a Patreon account I can donate to?
  12. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote

I think Desplat and Giacchino should retire from film scoring, get a cabin together in the woods and play directionless, anonymous music to each other untill they achieve the perfect level of mediocrity.

biggrin