• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2016
    Stavroula wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Well, each time I return I say to myself "That's it! I'm back! I'll start writing again! I missed them!" and each time the world turns around... Hmmmm... I guess it has to do with the stars!
    NP: Game of Thrones Season Six ~ Ramin DjawadI
    It's been one of my favorites the past few weeks! I can't decide what I like the most about it!

hey! how are you? welcome back smile

Hello yourself love! I'm fine! You?
    What's the best music to do house chores? Let me think! Something heroic and uplifting and my daddy's favorite (yeah, yeah I'm still my daddy' s girl even though I'm 34).
    NP:Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade ~John Williams

The Grail theme is one of my all time favorites!

I am fine. Swamped with our photography business and listening to less and less film music as years go by i think hehe
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stavroula wrote
    What's the best music to do house chores? Let me think! Something heroic and uplifting and my daddy's favorite (yeah, yeah I'm still my daddy' s girl even though I'm 34).
    NP:Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade ~John Williams

The Grail theme is one of my all time favorites!

Excellent choice! Very active and activating score!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote
    ...and listening to less and less film music as years go by i think hehe

You're banned. angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. NP: Game Of Thrones: Season 6 (2016) - Ramin Djawadi

I am still totally ignorant of the books and the show, but I maintain my collection of the scores. dizzy Upon first listen this seems to be the strongest entry to date. Some really fine choral writing here. Including the additional downloadable cues this is a massive 90 minutes of music album. Maybe it is best digested in two sittings.
    Does anyone know if the Czech Film Orchestra is an incarnation of the City of Prague Philharmonics? Wasn't the former the original name of the latter? Same as Orchester Graunke / Munich Symphonics.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2016 edited
    I have all the scores too Volker and I definitely agree that this one is the strongest entry to date. It think that the way the old themes are developed and the introduction of the new ones is presented and mingled in an ingenious way. In fact music was one of the major highlights for me in season 6. It seems that the development of the characters was not only reflected but also linked to their musical themes. To be honest I didn't have to listen until the end to decide that it' s my favorite season as far as music is concerned. The piano introduction in the 'Light of the Seven' was enough! wink
    I'm listening to it at the moment by the way!smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE MASTER (Jonny Greenwood)

One of the few current film composers who employ modernistic techniques consistently; but this one is fairly accesible -- has almost an impressionistic Debussy quality at times.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    I like REVELATION (never played the game, nor will I ever), but the album is MUCH too long. My usual criticism, you say, and yes, that's right. However, in this case the music REALLY deserves to be heard in a more succinct arrangement.

Much too long? 50 minutes?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote
    I like REVELATION (never played the game, nor will I ever), but the album is MUCH too long. My usual criticism, you say, and yes, that's right. However, in this case the music REALLY deserves to be heard in a more succinct arrangement.

Much too long? 50 minutes?

Because Thor!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sorry, I confused it with CIVILIZATION: BEYOND EARTH. I looked up my copy of REVELATION, and it's a fine 35-minute version.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, I WAS wondering.
    Normally we're pretty aligned on 'suite' album lengths.
    50 minutes for me is still very acceptable.
    I found I tend to "top out" at 54-55 minutes. Any album over that length is either incredibly good or has a massive personal connection or meaning to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ghostbusters - Theodore Shapiro

Not quite sure I understand the hype for this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Salt - James Newton Howard

There are some massively fun action cues within. Very enjoyable. Mr. Howard's combination of orchestral forces with synthesizers and percussion can be immensely satisfying.
  2. HIGH RISE - Clint Mansell

I haven't found much by Mansell that I've enjoyed, but after reading some positive comments about this score I decided to try it out. I haven't found much that I've enjoyed.
  3. Thor wrote

One of the few current film composers who employ modernistic techniques consistently; but this one is fairly accesible -- has almost an impressionistic Debussy quality at times.

Accessible, yes. And sublime in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote

Outstanding score and film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    HIGH RISE - Clint Mansell

I haven't found much by Mansell that I've enjoyed, but after reading some positive comments about this score I decided to try it out. I haven't found much that I've enjoyed.

Mansell has gone downhill since black swan. putting out one mediocre, completely passable score after another.
  4. I thought Noah was a high point for him recently. More accessible than he usually is and working with larger forces, but - unlike Sahara - still identifiably his voice.

Not a composer I care for too much, either way...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2016
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I thought Noah was a high point for him recently. More accessible than he usually is and working with larger forces, but - unlike Sahara - still identifiably his voice.

Not a composer I care for too much, either way...

Noah, yes, very good job. If you compare his post-Noah, post-black-swan work with his past (requiem for a dream, the fountain etc) it's sad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2016 edited
    SUICIDE SQUAD - Steven Price

There's some entertaining symphonic-rock-like moments in there, like opening Task Force X, while the second half reveals pleasant moments on piano, cello and choir that also enrich the action towards an epic finale (One Bullet Is All I Need), but overall this sounds like mediocre Remote Control stuff that tries to have an edge, but doesn't actually accomplish it - it's all too polished, blockbuster-action movie, heard it many times before-music, no actual rawness or bad-assery, while none of the attempts at thematic development actually stick, none of them ever becoming real developed melodies. I very much prefer something like Junkie XL's Mad Max over this. It's funny how Hans Zimmer created a much more interesting, raw sound for the Joker for The Dark Knight, while a film like this, that is I believe is supposed to be even more raw and badass tenfold, never really achieves anything approaching that and stays very much on safe ground.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Summer... Hot summer nights... Fairy tales, princes, princesses, East... Making plans for new things!

NP: Prince of Persia : The Sands of Time ~ Harry Gregson - Williams
    Soooo good! Uplifting and beautiful memories each time I listen to it!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  5. NP: Days of Thunder (1990) - Hans Zimmer

I love the Zimmerman in rock mode.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Power anthems for the win!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Southall wrote
    Ghostbusters - Theodore Shapiro

Not quite sure I understand the hype for this one.

I guess you've come around on it a bit because you did give it a pretty favorable review?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2016 edited
    NP: RUBINROT (Philipp F. Kölmel)

Big and boisterous symphonic scores from the last 15 years have rarely managed to ignite much interest from me, but this one from 2013 did. The film (and cover) looks cheesy as hell, but the music elevates it to something else.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2016
    NP: 11.22.63 - Alex Heffes

Only discovered this through the half-decent TV series, which in turn, I discovered through through the excellent Stephen King novel.

Lovely score for a TV miniseries. Fully orchestral too. Half suspense/horror, half warm Americana-tinged loveliness. Very good indeed.
  7. NP Trancers / Future Cop (1984) - Mark Ryder & Phil Davies

80s synthesizer galore. Small wonder I love this. Had I seen the film back then not being able to find the music on LP would have driven me crazy. smile

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: O APOSTOLO! (Philip Glass)

A 30-minute promo version of the soundtrack with selected tracks. I really like this; it's more accesible and "less" minimalist than most of his other work (maybe it's because he collaborated with two other people on it). But I think this presentation is enough. I understand the full release is much longer.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Yes, but the actual album will be much longer ...
  9. Django Unchained - Various Artist

I found this in a shop for a bargain. Anyhow, even as a stand alone compilation this eclectic smorgasbord doesn't work for me. Some beautiful individual cues though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Django Unchained - Various Artist

I found this in a shop for a bargain. Anyhow, even as a stand alone compilation this eclectic smorgasbord doesn't work for me. Some beautiful individual cues though.

Tarantino albums have to be taken for what they are -- a collection of individual tracks oozing of "coolness". They rarely work as concept albums.
    I am extremely serious.