• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Call of the Wild - Lee Holdridge

Holdridge's open and expansive tracks are well worth hearing. As is his more restrained and delicate pieces. The orchestrations, particularly in these latter tracks, are very engaging.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2016
    NP: AUTISM IN LOVE (Mac Quayle)

I vastly prefer this over his MR. ROBOT album, even if the latter has some highlights too.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. NP: Thibaud The Crusader - Georges Delerue

Quick on the heels of Call of the Wild, another score that doesn't get much airplay from me. Which is a shame, as Thibaud's theme is a cracker.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Gods of Egypt (the movie) was a pile of dog shit!

-Erik-

Yes avoid at all costs. Having it on your list to watch? big no noi.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    My most listened to scores lately are
    - a playlist I made of Snow White and the Huntsman and Huntsman Winters War. I love the new theme.
    - Now You See Me 2. First four tracks on repeat! Fun fun fun.

Not knowing what to listen to today I decided to explore Eric Whitacre. He reposted some of his virtual choir projects (all I know from him) and that's why I am listening to the album Water Night right now. I'm confused, from overwhelmed to uncomfortable. But that's what I wanted. Out of the comfort zone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: PRICELESS (Naoki Sato)

I can't understand how something with such a cheesy cover can have such great, dramatic, classically-infused music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    NP: PRICELESS (Naoki Sato)

I can't understand how something with such a cheesy cover can have such great, dramatic, classically-infused music.

Great music... which I picked as one of my favourites of that year. However, A few months later I saw a few episodes of this bizarre show and the music didn't work AT ALL.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Good to know. I have no intention of ever seeing the show (even if I like some crazy Japanese shit at times).

NP: UNMEI NO HITO (Naoki Sato)

Another gorgeous Sato score. I only have this, PRICELESS and TSUNAGU, but they're all winners. I wonder if Sato delivers so predictably in his other scores as well?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Have you heard Space Battleship Yamato?! Sato is sooooooo good!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I haven't, no. Thanks for the tip.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Monkey King 2

It might have a silly title but bugger me if "Bailongma, the White Dragon Horse" isn't the best six minutes of film music so far this year.
  3. Thor wrote
    Good to know. I have no intention of ever seeing the show (even if I like some crazy Japanese shit at times).

Another gorgeous Sato score. I only have this, PRICELESS and TSUNAGU, but they're all winners. I wonder if Sato delivers so predictably in his other scores as well?

I also recommend Kano. It's Sato's RUDY.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2016
    NP: BRAVE (Patrick Doyle)

One of the better latter-day Doyles. I'm a sucker for gaelic music, as long as it's just not solo bagpipes.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. NP: GUNSHI KANBEE - Yugo Kanno

I remembered liking quite of a lot of this, but I didn't remember just how good this is. It's track after track of cues that would be a highlight on most albums. This is really good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jason Bourne John Powell & David Buckley

Yeah, no.
  5. So it's DAVID BUCKLEY and John Powell then? As I feared. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Why what's wrong with Buckley?

christopher wrote
    Thor wrote

I also recommend Kano. It's Sato's RUDY.

Kanno, Sato, etc. Both amazing. Obviously we need more asian composers in film music and less americanized autopilot composers wink no?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Why what's wrong with Buckley?

Nothing, as long he's not brought in to replace John Powell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2016 edited
    Steven wrote
    Jason Bourne John Powell & David Buckley

Yeah, no.

Fantastic score in the excellent movie (although buried in the sound mix at times), but I haven't sampled it on album yet. Looking forward to it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Medicine Man - Jerry Goldsmith & Jerry Goldsmith

Have always found this very enjoyable.
  6. NP: The Dead Zone - Michael Kamen

One of my favourite scores that I find quite emotionally charged.

I can't help but think of this story when I see the news. For some reason.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2016
    FalkirkBairn wrote

biggrin

(On a related note: it took me a while to get used to president Bartlett in West Wing, for that very reason...)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Dead Zone - Michael Kamen

May it reassure you that there are many, many people on this continent who feel the same way.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2016 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote

One of my favourite scores that I find quite emotionally charged.

Yup! Greg Stillson. Trump, you couldn't make him up.....oh, er? Actually you could.

One of Stephen King's greatest books and a worthy film adaptation by Cronenberg, secondary only to Stand By Me and Frank Darabont's three films of King's works.

Edit: book-wise The Dead Zone is possibly the most satisfying of King's novels.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    J. Flaherty wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

May it reassure you that there are many, many people on this continent who feel the same way.

We're well aware of that J, we just hope there are more than enough.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Medicine Man - Jerry Goldsmith & Jerry Goldsmith

A shame there really wasn't two of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: JASON BOURNE (John Powell & David Buckley)

OK, I gotta concede the point to Steven....this wasn't as exciting on album as I had expected. It's as if the Bourne sound -- once so influential -- has been eaten up by all its imitators, so what remains is the shell of what it once was. Not that there aren't highlight tracks here, but at this point it seems rather interchangeable with other thriller/action scores these days.

I still think the film is one of the best of the year so far, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've changed my mind. It's a great score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2016 edited
    Steven wrote
    I've changed my mind.

Jesus wept

who is geeky enough to see the link here and why?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Total Recall - J Goldsmith

The best of its kind.