• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    Timmer wrote
    A large dose of Morricone too.

I was debating going there...but there wasn't enough weird synths and clunky suspense music :D

That depends on which Morricone you're familiar with. wink There is definitely a Morricone vibe in that score.

I know smile I'm just a little scarred for life by starting out with The Mission, Cinema Paradiso and the then brand-new Fateless, deciding I adored this Morricone guy, and then blind-buying Giu La Testa since I had a bunch of emusic.com credits. It was like listening to a completely different composer, and I quite disliked it. But there's definitely something of the romantic Morricone in this Cimini work. I must check out more of his stuff. There are so many new composers during the past ten years its hard to keep track of who is doing actual symphonic work and who is just doing pop or electronic beats or playing their guitar.
  2. NP: My playlist of the original Star Wars Trilogy - John Williams

While reading Alan Dean Foster's "Splinter of the Mind's Eye". This was the first EU novel that ever existed. Set between SW and ESB it tells an independent story. When Foster acted as a ghost-writer on the SW novelization he was contractually granted a novel in the franchise under his own name. Foster emphasizes the fantasy aspects of the SW universe. The novel also features a scene that does not very well fit into the story as told in ESB. As far as I know it's not considered canon.

Some way to spend a sunny afternoon.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. It was actually originally conceived as a lower budget sequel to Star Wars before Lucas knew he was going to get enough funding to make the larger scale ESB. Once he knew he was going to be unleashed he had the story published as a novel. It's the least EU novel of the entire old Star Wars canon, since it was working with such a limited amount of material at that point. Nobody knew anything except what was shown in the original film. So in many ways it doesn't fit with the entire rest of Star Wars. But it's still a fascinating relic.
  4. Indeed. The whole book reads like "alternative Star Wars".
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2016
    OMG. EU SW ESB?

FFS.
  5. MTFBWY wink
  6. NP: Concorde Affaire '79 - Stelvio Cipriani

I am assuming this is some sort of Euro-thriller cashing in on the Airport films. The score certainly sounds very Euro-pop in style - catchy tracks, memorable rhythms and slightly cheap-sounding synths abound.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. The synths back then were anything but cheap. smile
  8. But now they sound cheap!
  9. Each recording is a document of its time. I don't think the sound of a synthesizer has an expiration date. Another question is, whether the synthesizer was programmed competently and used to it full sonic potential.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2016
    NP:El Cid ~ Miklos Rozsa

It's a bit cloudy here today but not the end of summer. We are blessed to be able to enjoy the sun until late October most of the years and yet... the grey clouds and the gentle breeze bring with them memories of autumn... my favorite season. Somehow there are certain scores that I have associated with autumn and this is one of them.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Force Awakens John Williams

I love Rey's theme, I love the new Rebel Alliance theme (sorry, 'the Resistance') and I LOVE Darth Vader's new theme (sorry, Kylo Ren)... and I REALLY LOVE Poe Dameron's theme (er... the new Han Solo?).

I watched this again for the second time recently, and I still enjoyed it, and loved many of the scenes. But I now realise why Rey is not a popular character.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    But I now realise why Rey is not a popular character.

You do? She isn't? confused uhm
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Ditto! What the hell are you talking about, Steven. She's a much-loved character. Without her, this film doesn't work.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Yes. And yes (well, with some people).

She's too perfect. She appears to be part of Disney's 'feminist agenda', and it comes off as pandering (whether it's cynical marketing or genuine progressiveness, I'm not sure). I'm certainly not against female lead roles, and I'm not even against promoting feminism. But when the character is written to be perfect in every goddamn way, and there's no real struggle and overcoming adversity, then the agenda gets in the way of a good story.

Luke was a hero, for sure. He was a plucky but inexperienced teenager that won the day. Rey was already kicking ass from the get go, and there was no real conflict throughout the story. I hope they give her some flaws in the next films, but I doubt they will. She's a female. She's obviously perfect in every way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ditto! What the hell are you talking about, Steven. She's a much-loved character. Without her, this film doesn't work.

Well, no. She's the main character. But they could have done a better job of making her more, dare I say, human. With flaws. Something. At least Luke had impatience, teenage angst. Rey? Nope. Hero through and through.

Gimme a break.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2016 edited
    Yes, that. Women in film with flaws? That would be radical in today's environment.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Yes, that. Women in film with flaws? That would be radical in today's environment.

This is precisely the point. The reason the new Ghostbusters film for example was hated -aside from the fact that it was another remake of a popular film- was not because it had female characters, but because there was an obvious agenda behind it. A double whammy in terms of bad ideas, and why this remake in particular got so much hate. They marketed the characters in the film as action heroes, an obvious attempt to pander to modern feminism - and a mockery to what feminism initially set itself out to be.

This isn't equality; this is putting women on a pedestal.

The original Ghostbusters were chubby losers who accidentally became heroes given the situation they found themselves in. They were not action heroes, and that's what made us love them. We could relate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Well, no. She's the main character. But they could have done a better job of making her more, dare I say, human. With flaws. Something. At least Luke had impatience, teenage angst. Rey? Nope. Hero through and through.

Gimme a break.

Yes, let's make her exactly the same as the other characters in the series.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Asking for a near-perfect main character to have flaws (in a film that is essentially a remake of A New Hope by the way) is not the same as asking for a duplicate of Luke Skywalker. It's asking for a character I can relate to, without the feminist agenda.
  10. NP: Il Faro In Capo Al Mondo - Piero Piccioni

An impressive score for this 1971 drama that went under the name of The Light At The Edge of The World. Hints of romance amongst strong sinister scoring from a composer I am relatively unfamiliar with.
  11. Well, the way I see it... initially you're on spot, Steven, but then you miss the main point of your own discussion. Rey's initial flaw is that she is one of those agressive feminists; the sort that doesn't "need" any man (or alien) for nothing. Don't tell me what to do, don't try to save me, I'm alright on my own, and so forth...

(I mean, if someone takes my hand to help me get away from a dangerous situation, maybe it's not because he thinks I'm not capable of saving myself, but because he just cares about me, and nothing more behind that.)

But by the end of the movie she has, in a way, learned to appreciate these affections. She seems rather thankful about the guys coming to save her (whether she needs that or not) and even starts to appreciate Finn for what he is - a friend. She gets beyond her initial mindset of being perfectly fine alone, and enjoys being part of a group, which is probably a first for her in her whole life.

I'd call that a damn great character arc that has nothing to do with her Mary Sue capabilities, but with her inner mindset, which is pretty great stuff for a Star Wars movie which tend to focus on pretty simple concepts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2016
    What Ralph said.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2016 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Well, the way I see it... initially you're on spot, Steven, but then you miss the main point of your own discussion. Rey's initial flaw is that she is one of those agressive feminists; the sort that doesn't "need" any man (or alien) for nothing. Don't tell me what to do, don't try to save me, I'm alright on my own, and so forth...

That's hardly a flaw, that's the equivalent of saying "I'm too much of a perfectionist" when asked to describe your biggest flaw at a job interview. And even if it is designed to be a flaw, it isn't paid off. She remains aggressive throughout. (I never thought of Rey as a feminist, just the way the character was used in the story. Just make her less perfect, more relatable, and I'll be the first in line to buy a Rey figurine.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Well, the way I see it... initially you're on spot, Steven, but then you miss the main point of your own discussion. Rey's initial flaw is that she is one of those agressive feminists; the sort that doesn't "need" any man (or alien) for nothing. Don't tell me what to do, don't try to save me, I'm alright on my own, and so forth...

That's hardly a flaw, that's the equivalent of saying "I'm too much of a perfectionist" when asked what's your main flaw at a job interview. And even if it is designed to be a flaw, it isn't paid off. She remains aggressive throughout. (I never thought of Rey as a feminist, just the way the character was used in the story. Just make her less perfect, more relatable, and I'll be the first to in line to buy a Rey figurine.)

Not really. Many people feel they are perfectly fine in their own company, but only realize a sense of belonging (or longing for belonging) when they become attached to someone. I think that was the case here too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Again, not a flaw. A missing piece to the character perhaps, an arc, but not a flaw. She didn't have to learn anything, she was already capable of everything the story needed her to do. She won a lightsaber battle with an experienced Sith Lord. She knew more about the Millenium Falcon than Han. She could already use the force to control Stormtroopers. Why? Because she's a woman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Couldn't "anti-social" be considered a flaw?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Of course. But it's never anything she has to fight to overcome, nothing that really hinders her and therefore no tension from it. That's the sort of flaw that makes a character worth watching. Screen writing 101.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Damn I'm out of pop corn! I have to admit it's rather entertaining reading men's perspectives on women characters. I have to admit I'm impressed boys! I'll like to add my own perspective being a woman and all, but I prefer reading for now. By the way am I the only woman around for now? Bregje is still around, isn't she?
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stavroula wrote
    Damn I'm out of pop corn! I have to admit it's rather entertaining reading men's perspectives on women characters.

Except this has nothing to do with me being a man. I couldn't care less about what women think about Rey compared to men, as her character is not dependent on her gender - it's irrelevant. My perspective is equally as legitimate as yours for that reason. I'm simply a discerning moviegoer who prefers better characters without the interference of politics.

I'm not saying The Force Awakes is a feminist movie, nor is it derailed by any of the things I've mentioned. But I think it's pretty obvious what Disney is doing.