• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2016
    Hmmm.... I don't remember writing anything about my perspective being more legitimate than yours because I'm a woman , so there was no need for you to specify that dear. Neither did I answer as a feminist, which I'm not, but you will have to admit that even subconsciously gender does slightly color our views. I just remarked on the fact that a character which is female, has created an interesting debate amongst you. And yes I understand what you are saying. By the way, I enjoyed both the movie and the soundtrack.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2016 edited
    Stavroula wrote
    Hmmm.... I don't remember writing anything about my perspective being more legitimate than yours because I'm a woman , so there was no need for you to specify that dear. Neither did I answer as a feminist, which I'm not, but you will have to admit that even subconsciously gender does slightly color our views. I just remarked on the fact that a character which is female, has created an interesting debate amongst you. And yes I understand what you are saying. By the way, I enjoyed both the movie and the soundtrack.

You misunderstand me. I didn't say that you did, nor did I imply you were a feminist. I was responding to your point about men's perspectives on women and why I think it's irrelevant, hence our perspectives are equal in this instance. Sure, gender may colour certain reactions, but the points I've made stand regardless of my genitalia. In fact, when I'm a woman on weekends, if anything I feel patronised. Women don't need to be put on pedestals. They have flaws just like men.

To clarify, I don't care whether a character is male or female, I care whether the character is well-written. I don't think Rey is particularly well-written, yet despite my contentions it's a relatively minor point. I enjoyed seeing her kick-ass, but it would have been even more enjoyable with a little more tension -flaws- behind that aggression without Disney's interference. That's all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I don't think The Force Awakens is the vehicle where Rey's "flaws" are a required highlight.
    While (some) people were annoyed by Luke in Star Wars, he doesn't have any particular(ly interesting) flaws either. His character development only starts in Empire. And the way The Force Awakens ends, I have absolutely NO doubt AT ALL we will see MANY sides yet to Rey in future.

For now though it would simply be unnecessary to the story. Rey's set up as a street-hardened urchin, and the character in this film perfectly works that way for me.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Perhaps. Perhaps.

Her perfectness bothered me a little on second viewing, but... I can live with it. I do hope they develop her character more. She didn't feel very relatable in The Force Awakens. She almost felt like a character from the prequels.
  1. Steven wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Damn I'm out of pop corn! I have to admit it's rather entertaining reading men's perspectives on women characters.

Except this has nothing to do with me being a man.

bounce fireworks lol
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    She didn't feel very relatable in The Force Awakens.

I absolutely related to her 'take no shit, gung-ho, take control' attitude, and the fact it was the polar opposite in every way of Star Wars' Luke. (So OK, maybe I like it for the way it fits into the myth than for the actual character. But hey, I don't watch Star Wars for deep character development and analysis. And I *do* think Rey is cool as f*ck and cute as a button).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Steven wrote
    Sure, gender may colour certain reactions, but the points I've made stand regardless of my genitalia.

I'll agree with this. You obviously think with your mind and not with them (despite a very poplular saying in Greece) and I say that as a compliment!
    Women don't need to be put on pedestals. They have flaws just like men.

I second that in every possible way Steven, believe me I do!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    Steven wrote

bounce fireworks lol

Please enlighten me where my gender affects the points I have made.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stavroula wrote
    Women don't need to be put on pedestals. They have flaws just like men.

I second that in every possible way Steven, believe me I do!

*I should have also said women have strengths like men too. Men and women have general differences, but are ultimately... equal. I guess that makes me a feminist, but it certainly doesn't make me a modern feminist, toots. wink
  2. Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Steven wrote

bounce fireworks lol

Please enlighten me where my gender affects the points I have made.

Just poking silly fun here. Shurly deep in your heart of hearts you are a bit of a macho? wink
  3. Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    She didn't feel very relatable in The Force Awakens.

I absolutely related to her 'take no shit, gung-ho, take control' attitude, and the fact it was the polar opposite in every way of Star Wars' Luke. (So OK, maybe I like it for the way it fits into the myth than for the actual character. But hey, I don't watch Star Wars for deep character development and analysis. And I *do* think Rey is cool as f*ck and cute as a button).

That's right. Actually Rey's character is what I like best about the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    Shurly deep in your heart of hearts you are a bit of a macho? wink

I despise macho attitudes. All I see is apes beating their chests.

Captain Future wrote
    That's right. Actually Rey's character is what I like best about the film.

Anything other than BB8 is an insane choice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I disagree. BB8, Rey, Finn, Poe, Kylo, the X-Wings, the new TIE Fighter, the Han-Leia relation, the soundtrack...in fact there's VERY little I do NOT like in The Force Awakens.

Steven wrote
    it certainly doesn't make me a modern feminist, toots. wink

I do not believe you. I just KNOW you have a poster of Beyonce on your wall for all the wrong reasons!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I swear it's because I like her booty!
  4. The soundtrack goes without saying. Otherwise I could have done without yet a newer hope. I'm much more stoked for Rogue One than I ever was for The Force Awakens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MOON (Clint Mansell)

I have to be in a certain kind of mood to play this, but it's ultimately rewarding. I adore the film (even though it's very close to an idea I had myself ages ago)!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: POMPEII (Clinton Shorter)

There's definitely Zimmer in this, but it's still a damn good score. I really liked the film too (big Paul W.S. Anderson fan, and proud to admit it).
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Steven wrote

So tell me more about his character arc, his flaws, his strengths, his... wink

Beside that, everything Martijn said. Rey is the heart of the movie.
    And whatever is going to happen to her/with her next, it won't be nice.

@Stavroula: I have my very own views about women's rights, feminism in general, and that hip approach that everything men do is supposed to be creepy these days, but I don't think this is the place to discuss that.
  6. Thor wrote
    NP: POMPEII (Clinton Shorter)

There's definitely Zimmer in this, but it's still a damn good score. I really liked the film too (big Paul W.S. Anderson fan, and proud to admit it).

I like both the score and the movie, too. They are, of course, very much a guilty pleasure, with lots of ridiculous things going on (again, both with the score and the movie!), but that's part of the fun, I guess. And, on educational level, the lengths they went to with correctly reimagining Pompeii, at least the architecture of the city, are unquestionably well-intended. The Making Of was fun to watch, too.
  7. I don't have a problem with the idea of perfect women myself. But then I forget I'm married to one, so characters like Rey seem realistic enough.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2016
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2016 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Steven wrote

So tell me more about his character arc, his flaws, his strengths,

A valiant effort at logic, except that's he's a cute comic side kick robot who doesn't need any of those things. In fact, my second favourite thing is the Millenium Falcon...which is not even a character.
  8. Looking for Richard - Howard Shore (almost wrote Shire)

This is wonderful! Thank you, Alan, for the recommendation.
  9. J. Flaherty wrote
    Howard Shore (almost wrote Shire)

Beg you pardon?

confused Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Shire...as in Hobbiton, Volker.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    J. Flaherty wrote

Beg you pardon?

confused Volker

Howard Shore wrote the score for the popular movie adaptations of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings trilogy. The story featured a place called the Shire. Thor made a humorous remark via a play on Howard Shore's name being similar to this fictional place.

There you go.
  10. J. Flaherty wrote
    Looking for Richard - Howard Shore (almost wrote Shire)

This is wonderful! Thank you, Alan, for the recommendation.

It is good isn't it!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    J. Flaherty wrote

Beg you pardon?

confused Volker

Howard Shore wrote the score for the popular movie adaptations of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings trilogy. The story featured a place called the Shire. Thor made a humorous remark via a play on Howard Shore's name being similar to this fictional place.

There you go.

Oh shit! Didn't get that at all. I thought he almost wrote the music for the Shire, which he actually did. Must be the beer. smile
  12. Captain Future wrote
    Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    J. Flaherty wrote

Beg you pardon?

confused Volker

There you go.

Oh shit! Didn't get that at all. I thought he almost wrote the music for the Shire, which he actually did. Must be the beer. smile

Glad to hear you're enjoying your time zone, Volker. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    J. Flaherty wrote

Beg you pardon?

confused Volker

There you go.

I don't know anyone here who at one time or another has had something go straight over their head.....except me. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt