• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    Well, I could provide a set of parameters, at least.

Feel free...
  2. Thor wrote
    Why this hasn't become a "buzz item" in film music circles already, is beyond me.

Well, because it's a composer most people don't know scoring a film few have probably heard of. Generally someone has to be the first to discover a score like that and spread the word...and in this case that's you! So thanks for the recommendation, and I'll check it out. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2016
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Yoko Kanno - Wolf's Rain

Mindblowingly good. SO good, yes.

A bit of a disjointed mix musical styles and score plus songs for my tastes.

Well if you take out the silly things and keep the string-led pieces in it, it's mesmerizing.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    NP: ARMAGEDDON - Trevor Rabin & Harry Gregson-Williams

Don't ask. I'm fucking steaming drunk and this actually sounds quite good. At least there's a worthy use for it...

beer

Love it. Good ol' fashioned fun and some great themes.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2016 edited
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    Thor wrote
    Well, I could provide a set of parameters, at least.

Feel free...

OK.

* For this score, it needs to be between 40 and 50 minutes. Closer to 40 than 50 is preferred.
    * It needs to have a natural, organic ebb and flow between the calm and the bombastic
    * It needs to be conceptualized on a narrative level (not the film's narrative, but a musical narrative -- that there's a build-up, climax and epilogue kind of thing, symphony-style)
    * It needs to have the main theme and one or two "setpiece" tracks -- as highlights
    * A sonata style is preferred (home-away-home again)

That's good as a start, I think. I wouldn't have any clue on how to do this, btw. At most, I could spend a few hours creating a playlist of sorts -- but I neither have the time nor stamina to do so. Nor do I have access to the 'extra material' you talk about.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    That's good as a start, I think. I wouldn't have any clue on how to do this, btw. At most, I could spend a few hours creating a playlist of sorts -- but I neither have the time nor stamina to do so. Nor do I have access to the 'extra material' you talk about.

Okay, I will let my subconscious dwell on that for a few days and then see what I can come up with. No promises how quick I can do it. Since I will almost certainly be doing more than just creating a playlist and will need to do hard edits to the audio files, I will PM you a link when I'm done. Anyone else feel free to ask for it too.

Could you please elaborate on this point a little more, to make sure I understand? "A sonata style is preferred (home-away-home again)"
  4. NP: The Magnificent Seven - an angel from heaven and his earthly accomplices

Holy hell.
    Now this is film music.
    I guess it's impossible to know how this would sound outside the context of last year's events, but this is such an unabashedly old-school symphonic wonderscape that I feel like I'm hearing one of the best scores of the decade / century / millenium. Too early to judge but to me it sounds right at home in the pantheon of the greatest Horner scores. I honestly cannot tell a difference between Franglen & co's creation and Horner's own work. A recording of love indeed. And on a more specific note, as a Horner fan all the callbacks to Thunderheart are just glorious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    Thor wrote

Okay, I will let my subconscious dwell on that for a few days and then see what I can come up with. No promises how quick I can do it. Since I will almost certainly be doing more than just creating a playlist and will need to do hard edits to the audio files, I will PM you a link when I'm done. Anyone else feel free to ask for it too.

Could you please elaborate on this point a little more, to make sure I understand? "A sonata style is preferred (home-away-home again)"

It basically just means that it starts off one place, then ventures into a different terrain, and then returns at the end (maybe by using similar thematic ideas at the beginning and end -- often, this is already in the main and end titles, but not always).

Anyways, no sweat. Do this at your own time. Or don't. It's just an 'exercise', really. Appreciate your interest.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    NP: The Magnificent Seven - an angel from heaven and his earthly accomplices

Holy hell.
    Now this is film music.
    I guess it's impossible to know how this would sound outside the context of last year's events, but this is such an unabashedly old-school symphonic wonderscape that I feel like I'm hearing one of the best scores of the decade / century / millenium. Too early to judge but to me it sounds right at home in the pantheon of the greatest Horner scores. I honestly cannot tell a difference between Franglen & co's creation and Horner's own work. A recording of love indeed. And on a more specific note, as a Horner fan all the callbacks to Thunderheart are just glorious.

Is it out already?
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Okay, got it. Another question would be, are you interested in some of the more ambient material, or strictly melodic? There's parts of the Jablonsky side of the score that are reminiscent of a slightly more action-driven version of Pain & Gain and some of Jablonsky's other less thematic works. There's enough melodic material in the full (2.5 hour!) score that it could easily be 40 minutes of just theme statements, but not sure which you prefer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    Okay, got it. Another question would be, are you interested in some of the more ambient material, or strictly melodic? There's parts of the Jablonsky side of the score that are reminiscent of a slightly more action-driven version of Pain & Gain and some of Jablonsky's other less thematic works. There's enough melodic material in the full (2.5 hour!) score that it could easily be 40 minutes of just theme statements, but not sure which you prefer.

I love ambient stuff! Feel free to break it up with some of those.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Alright, I'll let you know when i have something. I'm looking forward to doing this just for the fun of playing around with one of my all-time favorite scores in a way that will best show off it's many strengths better than the horrible original album (so much electric guitar and quirkiness for no reason, that stuff is only like 5 minutes of the movie, whereas it's missing several whole rather gorgeous themes!)
  7. NP: ReCore - Chad Seiter

An impressively bold venture from Michael Giacchino's version of Remote Control Productions. Honestly feels bigger and more epic than most of Giacchino's recent scores. One of the strongest game scores I've heard in a long time and to my knowledge the most accomplished score Seiter has yet written.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2016
    NP: The Magnificent Seven - James FranglenHorner

Danger motif, shakuhachi, female vocals - it's all here. Lots of traditional Hornerisms surrounded by modernistic action material that is not entirely dissimilar to Southpaw.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Listening now on Spotify. The first track is like a 'best of' of all Horner's trademarks. God, this is so bittersweet. sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2016 edited
    Sicario Jóhann Jóhannsson

One of my favourite films in recent years, surely set to be a classic, with one of my favourite scores in recent years. It's perfect for the film.

It's a bit like if Brad Fiedel's Terminator score was updated for today. This would make a great Terminator score.
  8. All the more reason to look forward to his Blade Runner score.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    And Arrival!
  9. He actually has another classical album out this week... Orphée

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22305-orphee/
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2016 edited
    SICARIO really didn't do anything for me. Fine film, and the score works fine in it, but it never reached another 'level' for me the way PRISONERS did. Or on album. Also very fond of MCCANICK and -- to a certain extent -- THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING (the score, not the movie).
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Miner's Hymn's is still his best work IMO. The bee thing with the absurdly long title is also pretty good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: AMERICAN FLYER (Mark Killian)

Nice, quirky score. Bits of Hispanic flavouring, of course. I think it flew under the radar for most people when it came out in 2011.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. NP: Eddie the Eagle (2016) - Matthew Margeson

This is sweet!

Volker
  12. NP: Game of Thrones 6 (2016) - Ramin Djawadi

This may well be the best fantasy score this side of Middle Earth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Game of Thrones 6 (2016) - Ramin Djawadi

This may well be the best fantasy score this side of Middle Earth.

Say whaaaaaaaaaaaa?!

It's good... but not THAT good!

shocked

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  13. Well, sword and sorcery fantasy anyway. Things like Gods of Egypt not counting.

I like it better than the Danna borther's Camelot. And I like that one a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    Well, sword and sorcery fantasy anyway. Things like Gods of Egypt not counting.

So...the best fantasy score post-rings as long as you don't include scores that are better than it? uhm
  14. Yes. Ingenious, isn't it? tongue
  15. Captain Future wrote
    Well, sword and sorcery fantasy anyway. Things like Gods of Egypt not counting.

I like it better than the Danna borther's Camelot. And I like that one a lot.

But are you suggesting you like it more than Conan the Barbarian or KRRRRUULLLLLL???? uhm shocked
  16. NP: Eastern Promises - Howard Shore

Moved to this after trying to listen to Williams' Hook and failing to get very far into it (never seen the movie and there's not much in Williams' score that I really enjoy).

The melancholic feel, the Eastern European influences and the string solos are much more to my liking!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn