• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    NP: INFERNO (Hans Zimmer)

A second go, and it occurs to me that the second half is -- on the whole -- SERIOUSLY better than the first.

+1000000

I think a lot more people would have enjoyed the score if the album had been better arranged. The second half tells a story. The first half is just mostly suspense and noise and most people are already turned off by the time its over.
  2. NP: Doctor Strange - Michael Giacchino

If this doesn't win him more Marvel jobs, they truly have no idea what they hell they're doing musically.
  3. WP: Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - Henry Jackman

Is it just me or does this score sound more like a proper Bourne 5 than the actual Bourne 5 did?
  4. NP: Sogno di Volare (Civilization 6 Main Theme) - Christopher Tin

Well, shit. Christopher Tin just won Music. We can all go home now. shocked biggrin shocked biggrin shocked biggrin
  5. NP: Birth of a Nation - Henry Jackman

Wow, Jackman's two releases today could hardly be more different from each other. Two of his most mature and unique scores yet. Jack Reacher being more "mature" and this being more "unique". I think the love theme in this one ("Matrimony" is a highlight) is very probably Jackman's first truly memorable romantically melodic work.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2016 edited
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    WP: Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - Henry Jackman

Is it just me or does this score sound more like a proper Bourne 5 than the actual Bourne 5 did?

Generic derivative junk IMO, made me roll my eyes and I just about got through half of it and that was a half too much. A shame Joe Kraemer wasn't back on board who gave a bloody fine score to the first one. As for Powell's last Bourne score it was very disappointing, Supremacy is one of my all time favourite scores but the last one was a by the numbers.

I like some of Jackman's stuff, Birth of A Nation was more like it, there was some work here I really liked.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. We must be listening to different scores. I heard a lot that seemed to flow organically out of the direction Powell was going in Ultimatum, whereas the apparently Buckley-led Bourne 5 seemed to mainly be a rehash of the highlights of the original trilogy, even the tracks Powell supposedly wrote. And while I will not be arrogant enough to ever say for sure, I don't think I'm being biased or hearing what I want to. I expected to be really bored as Jackman's suspense/action scores outside of Captain America usually bore me. And I certainly wasn't thinking Bourne until I started, to my surprise, hearing Bourne - but in a fresher way than Bourne 5.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2016
    NP : DOCTOR STRANGE - Michael Giacchino

This is good, I'm liking this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - Henry Jackman

Should have followed the advice of the film's title. One to avoid.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - Henry Jackman

Should have followed the advice of the film's title. One to avoid.

Should have taken to heart what I said 20 hours ago wink

Timmer wrote
    Generic derivative junk IMO, made me roll my eyes and I just about got through half of it and that was a half too much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2016 edited
    DOCTOR STRANGE - Michael Giacchino

This is impressive! Clever audio manipulation in parts too.
    Love the psychedelica coming through in the latter half.
    Giacchino in good form.
    Perhaps the best score to come out the Marvel machine!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2016
    Timmer wrote
    NP : DOCTOR STRANGE - Michael Giacchino

This is good, I'm liking this.

Just gave this another play, really like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, Star Trek, Jurassic World, Planet of the Apes, Mission Impossible. Mr. Franchise. He must be rolling in it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    NP: Birth of a Nation - Henry Jackman

Wow, Jackman's two releases today could hardly be more different from each other. Two of his most mature and unique scores yet. Jack Reacher being more "mature"...

A lack of melody or anything memorable does not make a score mature.
  7. yeah That was the statement of the day.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  8. Thor wrote

A second go, and it occurs to me that the second half is -- on the whole -- SERIOUSLY better than the first.

True, the second half is more tolerable than the first, but a lot of that is by virtue of quoting at length sections of the previous two scores - "Science and Religion" in "Beauty Awakens the Soul to Act", and then "Chevaliers de Sangreal" in "Life Must Have its Mysteries" (with a few orchestration tweaks, true, but essentially intact). Take those two away and there is precious little listenable original material in this score - "The Cistern", and a few cool propulsive synthetic statements of the Langdon theme, and that's pretty much it. The first half is absolutely unlistenable and all in all I think it's a very poor album. Yes, worse even than Zimmer's DC scores. I'm frankly astonished that Southall didn't eviscerate it.
  9. NP: The Witch - Mark Korven

Very good indeed.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. NP: The Alchemist - Richard Band

Very good. I think I saw this recently released as a digital download. It may even be on Spotify.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2016
    Doctor Strange - Michael Giacchino

At first, I was disappointed by this but the more I listen to it, the more I like it. It's a grower.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ I can't get into it. The last three cues are great but I'm unable to remember much of the rest.

-ERik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ I can't get into it. The last three cues are great but I'm unable to remember much of the rest.

-ERik-

Those are certainly the most immediately accessible parts of the score but I think those last three cues leave out the secondary theme entirely (the one heard at 1:25 of "Ancient Sorcerer's Secret"), which I like more than the actual main theme.
  11. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote

True, the second half is more tolerable than the first, but a lot of that is by virtue of quoting at length sections of the previous two scores - "Science and Religion" in "Beauty Awakens the Soul to Act", and then "Chevaliers de Sangreal" in "Life Must Have its Mysteries" (with a few orchestration tweaks, true, but essentially intact). Take those two away and there is precious little listenable original material in this score - "The Cistern", and a few cool propulsive synthetic statements of the Langdon theme, and that's pretty much it. The first half is absolutely unlistenable and all in all I think it's a very poor album. Yes, worse even than Zimmer's DC scores. I'm frankly astonished that Southall didn't eviscerate it.

The film, however, proves otherwise: The unlistenable part of the album actually works really well in the picture. On the other hand, the use of Science and Religion in the film is, to put it mildly, quite baffling.

Why does the first unlistenable part work so well in the film? Paradoxically, for the same reason the film hardly works at all:

Someone has to tell Ron Howard that he's not Tony Scott.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  12. Poltergeist - Jerry Goldsmith

Among my all-time favorite scores. Musically, it's horror, fantasy, family drama, and a Spielbergian faith story, seamlessly joined.

Every section of the orchestra is used to terrific effect. The brass section in particular -- "Night of the Beast" and "Escape from Suburbia" are incredible tracks. Such ferocious energy, sustained for 10-ish minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Cheyenne Autumn - Alex North

The new Intrada release. Heaven for me, this. A masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2016
    Doctor Strange Michael Giacchino

One of the better Marvel scores, and certainly one of the best themes. At least top three.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And indeed one of the most entertaining Giacchino scores in a while!
    The middle bit lags a little but the "bookends" are outstanding!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  13. LIVING IN THE AGE OF AIRPLANES - James Horner

This got a digital release today. I like it. It's cheerful and positive. It's got some vocal stuff that reminds me of AVATAR and MIGHTY JOE YOUNG, but in style more than melody. My favorite piece so far is "Exponential Progress." It's bitter sweet to listen to the last new Horner music we're ever going to get. I'm glad it was this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    And indeed one of the most entertaining Giacchino scores in a while!
    The middle bit lags a little but the "bookends" are outstanding!

The movie version of the end credits is even better!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Living in the Age of Airplanes James Horner

Lovely, joyful music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2016
    Sausage Party Christopher Lennertz

Winner (wiener?) of the most unlikely decent score of 2016.