• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2016
    Living in the Age of Airplanes - James Horner

Horner meets Thomas Newman. It's really delightful (aside from the complete rewriting of an Avatar cue, which comes across as tacky).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DEN ALVARSAMME LEKEN (Matti Bye)

One of the best Nordic scores this year. Typical post-minimalist romanticism for chamber ensemble, but lovely all around.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    NP: The Magnificent Seven - Horner
    Brass, brass, brass... horns and trumpets and stuff. Love it.
  1. THE FLASH (season 2) - Blake Neely

Nearly finished with my first listen. Best moment so far was the very end of "Stuck in the Speed Force." I'm impressed with Neely's music for this series. I like it quite a bit more than anything I've heard from his music for the ARROW series. Haven't heard his music for SUPERGIRL yet, but I'll probably check it out later today. Between all of those shows, BLINDSPOT, and the documentaries he scores, Neely is a busy man.
  2. THE AWAKENING - Daniel Pemberton

I'm listening through some of MSM's releases that are on sale right now at SAE (in case you haven't heard about it they're selling 10 MSM CDs for $10 total). This isn't doing a whole lot for me, although I do enjoy the see-sawing cello theme. I just listened to "Chorus de Susticatio" and I am mighty impressed. That piece is pretty huge!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2016
    christopher wrote
    THE FLASH (season 2) - Blake Neely

Nearly finished with my first listen. Best moment so far was the very end of "Stuck in the Speed Force." I'm impressed with Neely's music for this series. I like it quite a bit more than anything I've heard from his music for the ARROW series. Haven't heard his music for SUPERGIRL yet, but I'll probably check it out later today. Between all of those shows, BLINDSPOT, and the documentaries he scores, Neely is a busy man.

He does solid work on Supergirl. A shame he doesn't get an orchestra, though. He got one for that show's pilot and those cues are very notable on the soundtrack for their added power.
  3. christopher wrote
    THE AWAKENING - Daniel Pemberton

I'm listening through some of MSM's releases that are on sale right now at SAE (in case you haven't heard about it they're selling 10 MSM CDs for $10 total). This isn't doing a whole lot for me, although I do enjoy the see-sawing cello theme. I just listened to "Chorus de Susticatio" and I am mighty impressed. That piece is pretty huge!

great score, I had the pleasure to hear that piece live and it's indeed epic.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. christopher wrote

from all the scores I heard of him these past few weeks (Arrow Season 4, Blindspot, Supergirl season 1 and The Flash season 2) The Flash is definitely the best. Arrow was average, Supergirl solid and Blindspot ugly.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Doctor Strange Michael Giacchino

I've just realised that the latter part of 'Strange Days Ahead' is the end credits in the film.

This is so good. Giacchino nailed this one... makes up for his bland Star Trek score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

I've just realised that the latter part of 'Strange Days Ahead' is the end credits in the film.

This is so good. Giacchino nailed this one.

I like it a lot. I wish a late 70's/early 80's era Jerry Goldsmith were with us and had complete control over Marvels musical universe, that would be beyond imaginary nirvana.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Is that a digital only release?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

This is so good. Giacchino nailed this one.

I like it a lot. I wish a late 70's/early 80's era Jerry Goldsmith were with us and had complete control over Marvels musical universe, that would be beyond imaginary nirvana.

Good lord. Yes.

Still, what we have -considering Marvel's insistence on curtailing creative freedom on scoring- is pretty damn good. The best moment is 3:35 and onward in 'Strange Days Ahead'. A proper bit of end credits music.
  6. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    christopher wrote

from all the scores I heard of him these past few weeks (Arrow Season 4, Blindspot, Supergirl season 1 and The Flash season 2) The Flash is definitely the best. Arrow was average, Supergirl solid and Blindspot ugly.

Thanks for saving me some time! I've heard the other three seasons of Arrow and was never wowed by anything I heard, but I was going to give season 4 a chance just because I've liked other things Neely has done and was hoping he might surprise me. I'll give that one and Blindspot a miss.

NP - JURASSIC PARK - John Williams

I wonder if he had any idea just how iconic the themes he wrote for this would become. He's such a master at crafting memorable themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    John Williams for Winds US Coast Guard Band

Amazingly, this all-brass album holds up quite well. Brilliant performances.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

This is so good. Giacchino nailed this one... makes up for his bland Star Trek score.

This is still very 'meh' in my books. I can't get into most of the album. The final three cues are stunners but after I'm done I don't really feel anything.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2016
    NP: REIGN OF FIRE - Edward Shearmur

Trying to get myself positively riled up for a gruelling night at work. Think this should do it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The problem with that score is that, when it ends, there's nothing that can match it. I suppose that's hyperbolic, but I do struggle to find a suitably angry score of that quality. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    The problem with that score is that, when it ends, there's nothing that can match it. I suppose that's hyperbolic, but I do struggle to find a suitably angry score of that quality. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Elliot Goldenthal's Sphere!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2016 edited
    Steven wrote

The thing with Reign of Fire is, it's consistently angry. I know whole segments of John Williams' War of the Worlds did the trick when I was in an angry mood and needed something to fit it, so did parts of Howard Shore's The Cell in sheer aggressiveness, but Reign of Fire is angry from start to finish without letting up.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2016
    I don't like it as much as I did back in the day. tastes change and all that.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Steven wrote
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    NP: Birth of a Nation - Henry Jackman

Wow, Jackman's two releases today could hardly be more different from each other. Two of his most mature and unique scores yet. Jack Reacher being more "mature"...

A lack of melody or anything memorable does not make a score mature.

I never said or implied any such thing. That is not at all what I meant. wink
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Battlefield 1 - Johan Söderqvist and co.

A thread praising the music of this game was started at a video game forum that I frequent. Curious, I checked it out. Basically, it sounds exactly what you'd expect a 2016 first person shooter to sound like, complete with all the RC cliches. It's especially aggravating because Söderqvist is a fine composer and I know he can write music far better than this sludge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Josh B wrote
    Battlefield 1 - Johan Söderqvist and co.

A thread praising the music of this game was started at a video game forum that I frequent. Curious, I checked it out. Basically, it sounds exactly what you'd expect a 2016 first person shooter to sound like, complete with all the RC cliches. It's especially aggravating because Söderqvist is a fine composer and I know he can write music far better than this sludge.

I hadn't even heard of this project, and I'm regularly in touch with Johan. Very disappointing to hear that it's so standardized when Söderqvist's music usually is anything but.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Frozen Planet - George Fenton

Excellent.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2016
    Thor wrote

I hadn't even heard of this project, and I'm regularly in touch with Johan. Very disappointing to hear that it's so standardized when Söderqvist's music usually is anything but.

Give it a listen. Everyone else seems to love it. Maybe there's something in there that I've missed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I couldn't get into Dr. Strange. Too much action music. But perhaps the timing (my mood) wasn't right.

Back tot Magnificent Seven.

Last Friday I went to a concert with a string orchestra. A mix of songs and classical music. It was nice! But no brass, no woodwinds. I really missed the brass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    50 minutes from now you can watch Hollywood in Vienna 2016.
    Livestream ORFIII 21:30 CET

http://tvthek.orf.at/live/Erlebnis-Bueh … 6/13888518

Hopefully.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2016 edited
    NP: LIVING IN THE AGE OF AIRPLANES - James Horner

Really really enjoying this! Some of it is so Horner and a lot of it really isn't; I mean where is Thomas Newman's co-composer credit on The World Before The Airplane and Maldives???

Very nice surprise, this. And it has a lovely 'celebratory' feel to it. How appropriate.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hacksaw Ridge Rupert Gregson-Williams

Totally bizarre. The first third is a composer who isn't as good as Thomas Newman writing in the style of Thomas Newman, the second third is an onslaught of modern Remote Control misery and pain, the final third is King Arthur-ish plinky-plonky power anthems.
  8. "Living in the Age of Airplanes"
    By: James Horner

Fourteen minutes in and I was already bored. Already skimmed parts of the score, by thirty second chunks, multiple times. Rather annonymous for a Horner score, with more than a few times "Hey, I've heard that before" bits coming up here and there. The theme was forgotten as quickly as heard.

Two or three times I thought of "Titanic" while listening to this, and when Halloween is over, I'll just play the better score -- "Titanic".

There's nothing here I need to hear again.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.