• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2016
    Southall wrote
    Hacksaw Ridge Rupert Gregson-Williams

Totally bizarre. The first third is a composer who isn't as good as Thomas Newman writing in the style of Thomas Newman, the second third is an onslaught of modern Remote Control misery and pain, the final third is King Arthur-ish plinky-plonky power anthems.

Sounds irresistible!
  1. He had me at King Arthur. lick
  2. NP - PETE'S DRAGON - Daniel Hart

This is WONDERFUL!! Why has it taken me so long to listen to this? Excellent stuff. This will probably land in my top 10 by the end of the year.
  3. Don't torture yourself with the Jack Reacher sequel score or some other piece of crap, instead try this non film score orchestral work out by Debbie Wiseman:

Short samples:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktJPqvR_PaQ

A cue filmed at the sessions:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nP95G71cR0
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2016
    Southall wrote
    Hacksaw Ridge Rupert Gregson-Williams

Totally bizarre. The first third is a composer who isn't as good as Thomas Newman writing in the style of Thomas Newman, the second third is an onslaught of modern Remote Control misery and pain, the final third is King Arthur-ish plinky-plonky power anthems.

Wow. Sounds kinda cool, actually. My colleagues who saw the film in Venice earlier this year, loved the movie and said the score reminded them of KINGDOM OF HEAVEN by Rupert's brother -- which is a score I love. I'm curious to check it out myself.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2016
    Planet Earth II

It's, um, not George Fenton. And it lasts two and a half hours.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2016 edited
    Southall wrote
    Planet Earth II

It's, um, not George Fenton. And it lasts two and a half hours.

No offense to Fenton but as much as I enjoy his Planet Earth, I'm not sure I'd want to hear two and a half hours of it either, much less by composers inferior to him.
  4. NP: The Abyss (1989) - Alan Silvestri

I remember how awed I was by this film, when I first saw it. I recorded it on VHS when it aired on TV and watched it repeatedly. The choral music toward the end enthused me every time and does so still. The ambient underscore is a bit of an acquired taste. I for one enjoy it immensely.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2016 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Abyss (1989) - Alan Silvestri

I remember how awed I was by this film, when I first saw it. I recorded it on VHS when it aired on TV and watched it repeatedly. The choral music toward the end enthused me every time and does so still. The ambient underscore is a bit of an acquired taste. I for one enjoy it immensely.

Volker

Wouldn't be interested in film music if it hadn't been for this. Not really because of the movie, though (although that also means a lot to me), but because I remember lying on the floor, listening to the end credits and thinking to myself "this could be great as a sort of concept album, like the electronic music I listen to. I'll see if an album is out".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Technically every film score album is a concept album. Except we don't call them concept albums. We call them soundtracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It ain't a concept album untill you've conceptualized it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You mean like the film it accompanies?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    A film is a film. An album is an album.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, I'm aware of this particular Confucius quote.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE MISSING (James Horner)

Of Horner's three 'Indian' scores (the others being THUNDERHEART and WINDTALKERS), I like this the most. I think. Neither are particular favourites.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    A film is a film. An album is an album.

Rose is a rose is a rose is a rose. wink
  6. A horse is a horse of course of course, unless it's the famous Mr. Ed.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2016
    Skyfall!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hacksaw Ridge Rupert GW

There's a kind of "so bad it's good" quality to this. The second half, with the power anthems suddenly appearing from nowhere, bearing absolutely no relation to the first half, is like a parody, a joke, but despite seeming so comically inappropriate it's got real entertainment value. Whatever John Debney wrote must have been the worst music of his career to be dumped for this, but the amusement value is as strong as in any recent soundtrack album and that means I really rather enjoy it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Debney was replaced? That's a surprise, given they're both nutty Jesus fans. Will he return for Jesus: The Sequel?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It probably doesn't matter since the music will no doubt be written from on high.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'd forgotten that Debney went all funky while writing Jesus music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Southall wrote
    Hacksaw Ridge Rupert GW

There's a kind of "so bad it's good" quality to this. The second half, with the power anthems suddenly appearing from nowhere, bearing absolutely no relation to the first half, is like a parody, a joke, but despite seeming so comically inappropriate it's got real entertainment value. Whatever John Debney wrote must have been the worst music of his career to be dumped for this, but the amusement value is as strong as in any recent soundtrack album and that means I really rather enjoy it.

This would seem to contrast rather starkly with Jon's positive review yesterday...
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Southall wrote
    Hacksaw Ridge Rupert GW

This would seem to contrast rather starkly with Jon's positive review yesterday...

the suite on hans-zimmer.com sounds pretty good. nice strong themes with a lil bombast and also some japanese influences because of the instrumentation. even the samples of each track dont sound that bad. at least the thematic material debney wouldnt have written better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

I can't remember the last time I was so puzzled by one of his reviews to be honest. But everyone else seems to love it so it appears I'm the outlier, not him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2016 edited
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country Cliff Eidelman

What a shame this composer never amounted to much. This is a masterclass of film scoring. (No, not a masterpiece. But a damn good example of spotting and appropriate scoring.)
  8. love Love that score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2016 edited
    Steven wrote
    The problem with that score is that, when it ends, there's nothing that can match it. I suppose that's hyperbolic, but I do struggle to find a suitably angry score of that quality. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

I find Paul Haslinger's score to the film Underworld to fit that bill.
    Even if it's more electronic than orchestral in nature.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2016
    Bregje wrote
    Last Friday I went to a concert with a string orchestra. [...] I really missed the brass.

A concert without brass is not worth the name.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. Unless it's a 'Psycho' concert of course! wink